ranging a rifle bull

the nikster

I just watched a program-I am a junky-where they ranged a bull at 75 yards. The hunter was shooting a 300win mag.
Am I too critical? I know I can hold dead on from zero to 250+ and hit my target easily. I can't imagine a scenario where an elk that is 75 yards away looks 250+ away.
So what's the reason to range this bull? Does it make for better TV?

BTW, I almost missed a bull at about that same distance last year. Shot over him first shot and spined him on the second....

While you're wondering the reasons why, ask yourself why they almost always have a shot of the shooter toggling the safety off SAFE. Do they think, or they afraid that everyone carrying a gun afield is walking around with their gun off safe and they feel mandated to alter bad or unsafe behavior? Anyone around me with a gun off safe will get either an ass chewing or an ass kicking.

Maybe they're using every possible film byte to fill in for the lack of action, along with showing the same footage three or four times.

Maybe they're using every possible film byte to fill in for the lack of action, along with showing the same footage three or four times.

That bugs the bejeebers out of me when they show the same footage till you want to puke, they either have bad camera guys or too many sponsors. Since I'm on my soapbox... Is anyone else tired of looking at a hunters butt crawling thru whatever.:mad: (well Tiffany may be an exception)

Back