MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rangefinders?

brnsvllyjohn

There has been a lot of discussion lately about rangefinders I was wondering how often you use one? Do you try to range everything or just shots you think are beyond 200 yards? I don't range shots less than 300 very often but occasionally. A lot of times on the closer shots there is no need or no time. I typically shoot a 7mm mag with a 200 yard zero and I know what the gun does and I don't worry much under 300 yards. I have been surprised a few times at the readings once I range an animal but not often. I usually range my surroundings when I am glassing so I have an idea of how far that rock or that tree is and if something steps out I am more or less ready.
With that being said a few years ago at dusk I was making a move on a couple of bucks and I knew I was too far for a shot. I made a lot of progress but still thought I was too far. I ranged it and it was 250. Well no problem at that range and I tagged one of the bucks. Maybe late in the day it just looked further.
I use an older Leica and until it stops working I have no reason to change. Lots of other brands in camp and most seem to work well. Some of the guys I hunt with waste time ranging shots that are well under 200 and as a result don't even get a shot sometimes. With a flat shooting rifle does range really matter when it is well under 300 yards? I don't think it does.
I am talking about animals that are deer sized or larger.

Last edited:
I also shoot a 7 mag and for 35+ plus years I never used a rangefinder. I got one when we started bow hunting as the range estimation is so much more important with a bow. I carry it all the time now just to verify my range estimation. Anything under 350 yards the range does not matter. My longest verified shot to date in those 35+ years was 401 yards on my last cow elk. Even at that range I new I could still aim "on hair". I'm not a long range shooter so that was a long shot for me.

I would think you would want to range anything from 200yd to 300yd. Based on Nikon Spot On a 150 grain bullet shot from a 7mm with a 200yd zero will drop 5.97 inches at 300 yd. That's 1/3 of the deer's body. On average a deer is 18 in. from top of back to belly. Also your kill zone is roughly 8 to 10 in. Without ranging you could easily drop out of the vital area and wound your quarry. Ethically I would think you would want to range your distance

Since my brain injuries I can't trust my depth perception, so I usually rely on my rangefinder. I zero my rifles at 250 yards, so anywhere out to about 375ish I can aim high shoulder on an elk and connect in the vitals. I still like at least one verification range at some point, just to be safe, especially with deer and antelope with a much smaller vital area. I especially use it with my bow. I always shot trad until I was wounded in Iraq, but with a shoulder that doesn't function properly and lack of proper depth perception, and loss of some of the fine motor in my hands and fingers, I now have to rely on a compound with a release and sights. I won't shoot without a range. I think the ability to range just comes easier to some people than others. I used to be that way, but now I can't.

I almost never bother with my rangefinder when rifle hunting. But then again Ive never even considered taking a shot further than 300 yards. I have much more fun sneaking up on game than anything, long shots rob me of the most exciting part of the hunt...IMHO. I can always shoot long range why waste a stalking opportunity to do something I can do year round. Also if the wind, or any of the other multitude of variables has an adverse effect on my shot, I wont have to chase a wounded target down. Rangefinder always comes with the bow, always. Not sure what my longest shot on big game has been, it wasnt ranged. But I know I held "a little high" and hit perfect vitals. My 260 is zeroed at 200, which puts me about 8" low at 300 and 2" high at 100. Stay inside of 300 and the most id ever have to "aim high" is about 2" with a 6" vital area. Why range it? :confused: Now how far does 300 look again?

I always wanted one, but never got one. I am at the point that I already carry too much crap on me when I hunt and have managed without one. I enjoy the stalk and generally do not take long shots. I shoot a 30-06AI and try to keep my shots around 100 yds.

I zero all my rifles at 100 and dial my scope for anything over 200 so I use my rangefinder all the time. I like to range landmarks where I think animals will come out like you do but I also keep it within quick reach in case I get surprised. Even though I shoot some flat shooting cartridges, 270 and 26 Nosler, knowing the range gives me confidence in my shot placement and I tend to make better shots and just SWAGing it. I use a Sig Kilo 850 and its been the $150 I've ever spent.

I'm zeroed @ 200 & range way more than I used to. My 700 & Zeiss are golden to farther than I will shoot, &spot on when I do.
Critters here can be farther or closer than you think many times I find. Open pj country for most part. I go into stealth mode in thicker country.

As I get older I tend to glass areas way longer than I used to. Some of those areas are across large canyons and getting closer might not be an option. I range a lot of the area as I sit there. However if I am entering an area and I see something that I need to make a decision on NOW and I know it is less than 300 I am shooting. If I think it is at or near that 300 mark I aim a little high on the vitals and when it drops 8 inches I am still good. I worry more about a rest and how steady I can hold than I do about the difference between 250 or 300 yards. Not steady then No shot. I hunted for 35 years without a rangefinder and made a few shots well over 350. The rangefinder does give me more confidence when I take that 400 yard shot. I do have a cheat sheet taped to my gun. (Dope Card) I print a cheat sheet because I also carry other rifles and the memory is not what it used to be.
For archery I carry a smaller Bushnell rangefinder that fits my pocket better. Not worth a darn past 250 yards (way too slow) but fast and accurate out to 100.

I use mine all the time, no matter what the distance is and the equipment type I'm using. There is one exception to this rule but its only for off hand shots that are needed to be quick and within 100 yards with .300 WSM

I am constantly ranging when archery of muzzle loader hunting. I have it readily available for rifle hunting also.

I use a 200 yd zero for most of my rifles. We were mule deer hunting in SD and heading back to camp on our atv' s when I saw two yotes up ahead. I stopped and grabbed my .270. I told my hunting partner to range them and I heard 250 and held a bit high on the back over the shoulder. It was a bit windy but at 250 yds I didn't allow for the wind. Touched it off and the yote crumpled. Drove up to it and I had put the bullet through his head...My friend said "Heck of a shot at 350 yds!" I looked at him and said I thought you said 250? Point is had I held for the wind I would have hit him right in the shoulder and didn't aim off hair. I was a 100yds off on where I thought the yote was at, but with the flat shooting .270 and my choice of 200yd zero it wasn't an issue. I find it harder to judge distance out in New areas so I use my range finder a lot. The guy that knows an area and knows how far things are out to 350yds really doesn't need one, depending on the round and knowing your rifle. Beyond 350yds things get more tricky for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back