Yeti GOBOX Collection

range finders

A Bushnell scout doesn't work for chit on Wyoming Antelope. Been there, done it, tossed the pos onto the shelf when I got home and bought a Leica 1600. Like the post above, I hauled that Bushnell around for many years archery hunting.
There's something in the air in Wyoming that puts the hex on a rangefinder.

If I didn't buy the leica, i would go Leupy 1000 tbr w/ dna. They won't work out to 1000 but out to 300 it's a slam dunk. Nothing better for Archery hunting.

In my opinion Redfield offers the best quality for the value minded sportsman. I love my rangefinder and binos.

+1, I used the Raider rangefinder last year in Wyoming and could reliably get 300 yard pronghorns MOST of the time. I think it will do what you require and at around $160.00 last time I looked will leave you enough money to snag some extra toys or a few reduced price tags. The trick to using it, or any rangefinder for that matter is holding it steady, think of it like shooting a rifle the longer the range the steadier you need to be.

Bob

I would agree.... however, even on sale I believe it's over his price range.

good luck to all
the dog

I realize that it's a bit more than the $280 that was quoted, but can be had (depending on the features) for $350-400. I'd put it in a different class than the Leicas, Swaros, Zeisses, etc pricewise. I guess I'm saying I'd recommend shelling out the extra $100 or so for something I have zero complains over. The TBR is a nice feature to have for sure. I've owned Nikon and Bushnell rangefinders in the past, and the user-friendliness and features in the RX-1000 easily surpass the previous models I've owned!

The RX-1000 with DNA and TBR seem to be one of the best reviewed and still compact unit. Everyone I sold a unit to seems to really like them.

+1. This is a great unit. Compact, and quality optics, although a little more expensive. Yet cheaper then having to buy another one when the inexpensive and low quality one you did get breaks. It's also American made. No need to get the 1000, spend a little less and get the 600 or 750.

I've got a Bushnell Scout 1000 with ARC...it's good enough for 400 yards and under and it's in the price range...I even got the sexy cover for it from Ike :D

+1. This is a great unit. Compact, and quality optics, although a little more expensive. Yet cheaper then having to buy another one when the inexpensive and low quality one you did get breaks. It's also American made. No need to get the 1000, spend a little less and get the 600 or 750.

No doubt the rx-1000 is a great rangefinder for the money...... But it is not American made. It is however backed by a 100% American family owned company that employes a ton of hard working americans.

Best rangefinder I have owned for sure..... Just wanted to clarify where they are built.

I can get you into a Leupold RX-1000 without the TBR for a little over your budget.

Last edited:
If we don't know the range we are ranging how do we know if the reading is correct? also didn't know the smaller the target the less range it is accurate at. the Rx1000 has not been out long enough to tell how long it will last. i talked with a Nikon rep and he expects it to last 3-5 years. that's a lot of money for such a short time. i just might stay with my old tape and wheel one.

I used to use Leupod rangefinders until I tried the Nikons, gave one leupold away and sold the other one on here for half what I paid. For rifle hunting I've used a nikon 1200 for 2 years now. Works on deer size game out to about 800 yards.

The Leupold has many options and settings(Rain, <150 yards, ballistic info, etc) which can be frustrating if all you want to know is how far it is to the target.

In the last month I"ve used Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, redfield, nikon, leupold, bushnell, etc while pdog hunting. For the most part you get what you pay for except for the Leupold which is overpriced compared to it's performance IMO.

I"d recommend the Nikon in your price range and the Zeiss if you up your budget.

Nice demo Zeiss for $550

http://www.eurooptic.com/used-rangefinders.aspx

Leupold RXI 1000, buy the black one it's fifty bucks cheaper than camo......
Fast, easy to use, good on soft targets to 600 all day long.

Beings as you are moving to wyo and dont want to shoot past 300,,,, I suspect you might be a bow hunter :) I have and used a bushnell 1000 w arc last year, it did well out to 5-600,, set it to tree and bushs and its good, set to spot target and its way to picky for good ranging if you are anyway shakey, go with the one just above what you can afford,,, :)

sorry cush, i overstepped my FNG rights by posting on the bushnell but I got better results in changing the settings :)

Last edited:
solohuntr, yes i am a bow hunter and rifle hunter and the way i see it ,if you can'r get within 300yrda of your target you shouldn't be shooting it.yes i know there are a few pepople that can make long shots but the taget has to be hit in the right place or with a cal. that has got enough umph for that range.

I use a Nikon Rifle Hunter with angle compensation. Works great-lower end rifle hunter so it doesn't reach out that far. Mostly use it for bowhunting since I won't shoot my rile at any game over 250-300.

Just throwing in my two cents but I just purchased the new vortex rangefinder. A little more pricey but its a beauty. Love it already and cant wait to use it on my elk hunt.

With range finders, there are a number of cheap ones that will work as long as you are not going to try to get them to read past 300 yards. The high-priced ones have better lazers and so are better at long range.

I have a Nikon 800 that can usually hit solidly to four or five hundred yards, but gets iffy past that. I have ranged groups of trees out to 600, but not consistently. You get what you pay for when long range is the issue.

thank you all for the input people. just read a good article in the American hunter on how to select and use a laser rangefinder . with all the variables that affect it it is not for me at those prices. so staying with my non electric. range finder for now .thanks again for all the input.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back