Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Range Finder Fever

VaSlickhead

So this year will be my first trip to the wild wonderful west. I am very excited and looking forward to chasing the mule deer Wyoming has to offer. Going thru my checklist there is one thing that my hunting partner and I have discussed a lot is optics. I feel good on binoculars using my stieners but rangefinder I am unsure of. I am a very avid bow hunter in Virginia so I picked up the bushnell chuck adams edition, works well here but does not have scan mode and I don't believe the range is going to be there for what I might need out west. I know I need to buy a new range finder but there is so many out there..... What to choose? I'm looking at the halo xtanium 1000. Has anyone had any hands on experiance with these? My price point is $300.00 roughly so any suggestions please let me know. Thanks guys

Been happy with the Leupold 1000 tbr, I think its around that price point.

Buy the leica your partner told you to buy. I've heard he is extremely smart and not bad looking either.

Last edited:
I've read a lot of bad reviews about the read out in the eye piece of the Halo rangefinders in low light conditions and them not ranging accurately at distance. Rifle or bow hunting? How many trips do you plan on making out West? These are some variables you need to consider. Back East bowhunting you can get away with a lesser rangefinder for a 30 yard shot, but when you're rifle hunting out west and you need to know if that antelope buck is 400 yards away or only 250 and shootable, then you want to spend the money on quality. You can probably find a Leupold RX 800 TBR in your price range and that will give you a bow mode and rifle mode as well as angle compensation for up and downhill shots. The wide open spaces out West are something you can't really prepare yourself for and that was a big hurdle for me to overcome when I moved out here. Get a quality rangefinder. If you can wait another week, Bass Pro Shop will be doing another 6 pay plan on large purchases for broke asses like me. I'll be picking up a new Leupold RX 1200i since my trusty RX 1000 died out of warranty after years of abuse.

Last edited:
I just went through the same angst trying to find one. Listened to what folks had to say, but most were past the price point I wanted to pay. I wound up getting a Bresser 800. So far, it reads deer just fine out to 500yds, or so. For under $125, on Amazon, I'm happy.

Another Leupold RX-1000 user here as well and pleased with it.

That said, the rangefinder you have is rated to 850 yards. It probably won't reach that far on a critter, but I bet it'll get a reading as far as you'll shoot. I used an OLD Bushnell prior to the Leupold and it worked just fine. If you can't get a reading on the actual animal, try getting one on a bush/rock/etc next to it.

I'm a leupold guy. Grew up shooting them and have a leupold on about every gun I own. With that said my opinion is...Spend good money once and buy a leica rangefinder. Youll have it the rest of your life. I know its past your price point but you wont regret it.

Pick up a used leica. I bet you could find a 1200 for around $400 in good condition. I started with a 1200 and picked up a 1600 in a trade. They're a pretty nice rangefinder

I've used plenty of different range finders including the big top end names. Leica stands well above the rest.

Pick up a used leica. I bet you could find a 1200 for around $400 in good condition. I started with a 1200 and picked up a 1600 in a trade. They're a pretty nice rangefinder

This^^^ or even the 1000.
You'll thank us later.

Thank you guys for your input. I found a Leica 900 on eBay looks brand new has all the paper work with it and all. It's on it's way and I'll be sure to let you know how it works!!!! Thanks again

Back