PEAX Equipment

Random Tags

CForest

Can anyone tell me how to calculate if/how many random tags will be available in the regular draw of a specific unit?? I am looking at a unit that had just one random tag in the last draw, but in some of the years prior there wasn't any. However people still applied for it.

I believe its 25% of the total nonresident quota. However that may change depending on species.
Only sheep, goat, bison are 25%, IIRC.

LQ elk are 16%, moose 20%, pronghorn and deer are 20%.

These are the percentages of the original R/NR split.

Then, Carl is right, 75% regular 25% special fee pools. Then those are split again into preference and random 75%-25% there too.

Its a mess...

Every year lots of people try to put in the random draw for tags in which the available quantity is 0. Check the WYG&F commissioners meeting minutes in April for the final tag quantites, then do the math.

Example:
100 Type 1 deer tags quota
NR get 20
12 regular, 3 of which are random
8 special, 2 of which are random

I think if the total quota is 100 and NR get 20 (assuming deer or antelope):

12 (60% of 20) go to regular draw.
9 (75% of 12) go to regular p points
3 (25% of 12) go to regular random.

By that logic, the total (R + NR) quota for deer or antelope would have to be about 33 for 1 regular random tag to exist.

*edited for 60% to regular draw per @ElkFever2's post.

Last edited:
You can’t calculate the splits from an unknown number and without real time landowner draw stats you don’t know what the remaining non resident quota might be going into the special. And without real time special stats you don’t know what the quota will be going into the regular.
The only limit on nr landowner tags is the area quota, they could draw every tag before the public, and they have on at least one occasion.
Just look at past draw odds and go from there, you will never do better than that other than blind luck.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about landowner tags. That would explain why in some past years there was a tag in the random, and other years there was not.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back