Ran out of elevation on my scope

Lmwmihunter76

I was working up a load for my rifle yesterday and what I noticed is that I ran out of elevation on my scope. I was about 12" low at 100 yards. Any suggestions to fix this issue?
Savage model 10 7mm08
Bushnell elite 3200 scope 3 x 9

I had this issue with a Burris scope. I had to run the dials all the way in and count all the way out. Run them back in half way to get back to factory defaults. Hope this helps.

I was working up a load for my rifle yesterday and what I noticed is that I ran out of elevation on my scope. I was about 12" low at 100 yards. Any suggestions to fix this issue?
Savage model 10 7mm08
Bushnell elite 3200 scope 3 x 9

A 20 MOA Picatinny rail will help. Maybe your velocity is wayyyy too slow?

Here's a tip I found for returning a scope to its mechanical center.

"Stand the scope vertical, large objective down on a small mirror (makeup type mirror works great). You'll see 2 reticles...the actual reticle and a reflection. Adjust your windage and elevation and you will see the reflected reticle move. Adjust both directions until the reflection is directly over the top of the stationary reticle. You'll be adjusting opposite direction of the movement of the reticle to the mirror. Really cool and easy to do."

I had this issue with a Burris scope. I had to run the dials all the way in and count all the way out. Run them back in half way to get back to factory defaults. Hope this helps.

He'd need only mess with the vertical, no?

At 100 yards, and with a 7mm08 factory load, no properly mounted and operating scope should run out of elevation - and shouldn't be 12" low as 7mm08 only drops less than 3" all together at that distance even with slowish factory load. Most likely a mechanical problem with scope. Could be a 20MOA rail placed on backwards thereby making "negative" 20MOA (saw a guy at the range do this). Could be problem with rings or ring mounting. Could be misaligned scope that caused user to adjust windage to one far side or he other with reduces elevation range but seems unlikely to due 12" low report. Could be a lot of things I am not smart enough to think of. I would start by confirming rail and rings look ok and then send back to vendor for repair. Using a 20MOA rail to get a 100 yard zero for a 7mm08 is not the solution in my opinion.

At 100 yards, and with a 7mm08 factory load, no properly mounted and operating scope should run out of elevation - and shouldn't be 12" low as 7mm08 only drops less than 3" all together at that distance even with slowish factory load. Most likely a mechanical problem with scope. Could be a 20MOA rail placed on backwards thereby making "negative" 20MOA (saw a guy at the range do this). Could be problem with rings or ring mounting. Could be misaligned scope that caused user to adjust windage to one far side or he other with reduces elevation range but seems unlikely to due 12" low report. Could be a lot of things I am not smart enough to think of. I would start by confirming rail and rings look ok and then send back to vendor for repair. Using a 20MOA rail to get a 100 yard zero for a 7mm08 is not the solution in my opinion.

How many actions have the front and rear scope based holes equally spaced to the point that a one piece base could be put on backwards? I think maybe the Rem 783 since it use the same base for front and rear?

How many actions have the front and rear scope based holes equally spaced to the point that a one piece base could be put on backwards? I think maybe the Rem 783 since it use the same base for front and rear?
I have no idea - preferably none - but I know at least one. I don't recall what gun this guy had.

I slipped beer can aluminum under the base try bring up one of my scopes.
I agree there are several good ways to give yourself elevation, but in this case something is clearly wrong as -12" at 100yards max elevation for 7mm08 with factory ammo is not possible with properly milled action, proper fitting and installed rail and rings and proper functioning scope. Better to fix the problem than patch it by adding physical elevation via rail or beer cans.

A 20 MOA Picatinny rail will help. Maybe your velocity is wayyyy too slow?

Here's a tip I found for returning a scope to its mechanical center.

"Stand the scope vertical, large objective down on a small mirror (makeup type mirror works great). You'll see 2 reticles...the actual reticle and a reflection. Adjust your windage and elevation and you will see the reflected reticle move. Adjust both directions until the reflection is directly over the top of the stationary reticle. You'll be adjusting opposite direction of the movement of the reticle to the mirror. Really cool and easy to do."
Try this first. I posted this here about 6 or 8 years ago when I had a problem. It's better to check the easy things first. mtmuley

I agree there are several good ways to give yourself elevation, but in this case something is clearly wrong as -12" at 100yards max elevation for 7mm08 with factory ammo is not possible with properly milled action, proper fitting and installed rail and rings and proper functioning scope. Better to fix the problem than patch it by adding physical elevation via rail or beer cans.
He’s got the wrong bases. He can buy new bases or put a few shims in to get 20 moa rise. Been there, done it before.

I have no idea - preferably none - but I know at least one. I don't recall what gun this guy had.

The Rem 783 uses the same base for the front and rear. So unless one of them was a 5,10,15 or 20 MOA base it wouldn't matter which was which or which way they are pointed.

The Rem 783 uses the same base for the front and rear. So unless one of them was a 5,10,15 or 20 MOA base it wouldn't matter which was which or which way they are pointed.
Or, was first mounting 20MOA rail (unintentionally backwards) and then using picatinny rings. But I don't think OP has told us enough about his setup - what rail if any and what rings? But between all our various helpful speculations OP has a lot to look into.

Ok so some more information it is not the bases or the scope. I tried different scope same issue. Different rings with different height. When I put my bore sighter on and try to adjust I still run out of elevation. I am completely lost. I will try the mirror thing though.

I’m willing to bet the Burris rings with the inserts will fix the problem. While fighting my dad’s I learned it’s a common savage issue.
I am not disagreeing, just curious . . . Do savages commonly lack parallelism between the action top and the bore of the barrel to the point that normal scopes, bases and rings can be 12" off at 100y - wow, glad I haven't seen this. I wonder what the frequency is?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back