Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rainy day antelope

Hunting Wife

I don’t know why antelope opener is just as reliably rainy as Memorial Day in Montana. This year was no exception.

Last season was super disappointing. I had limited time, it was a zoo, I’ve never had so many jerks see me mid-stalk and then proceed to try to race me to the animals. Was hoping for a better experience this year.

There was no shortage of people driving the roads. It was super muddy and I hate just driving and tearing up roads, so we went for a walk in the rain. Headed into a spot we found last year that seems to be a little pronghorn hidey hole. A little over a mile, and I had it to myself. Poked around in the hills, and it didn’t take long to find one to chase. I was able to get ahead of him and he walked right to me. Not a giant by any stretch, but then again I rarely wait for horns. Was very happy to have him all to myself, in a pretty spot, and to make the stalk I wanted without having anyone mess it up.

C0124075-D636-47A3-8EC6-67E57C854597.jpeg

Not a hair out of place on him. Very pretty buck. Since he was soaking wet, the dorsal gland was super obvious so I took a pic. I know a lot of people don’t realize antelope have more glands and in different locations than deer.

17D560FD-F5C6-41A9-98E6-149B0DC53C6B.jpeg

So antelope season is over for us. Satisfied with this one. Now it’s whiskey and beers to celebrate.

I don’t know why antelope opener is just as reliably rainy as Memorial Day in Montana. This year was no exception.

Last season was super disappointing. I had limited time, it was a zoo, I’ve never had so many jerks see me mid-stalk and then proceed to try to race me to the animals. Was hoping for a better experience this year.

There was no shortage of people driving the roads. It was super muddy and I hate just driving and tearing up roads, so we went for a walk in the rain. Headed into a spot we found last year that seems to be a little pronghorn hidey hole. A little over a mile, and I had it to myself. Poked around in the hills, and it didn’t take long to find one to chase. I was able to get ahead of him and he walked right to me. Not a giant by any stretch, but then again I rarely wait for horns. Was very happy to have him all to myself, in a pretty spot, and to make the stalk I wanted without having anyone mess it up.

View attachment 197122

Not a hair out of place on him. Very pretty buck. Since he was soaking wet, the dorsal gland was super obvious so I took a pic. I know a lot of people don’t realize antelope have more glands and in different locations than deer.

View attachment 197123

So antelope season is over for us. Satisfied with this one. Now it’s whiskey and beers to celebrate.
Man antelope are amazing. I've been living vicariously through HT and my phone today since I don't have a tag. Congrats HW. mtmuley

Man antelope are amazing. I've been living vicariously through HT and my phone today since I don't have a tag. Congrats HW. mtmuley
Thank you. Something very neat about hunting an animal uniquely North American and just so dang pretty and interesting.

Hoping next year you are able to get back out there among them.

Well done indeed! Congratulations! That's a nice buck. Good for you!

Congratulations! This is why I love hunt talk. Like mtmuley said I too am living vicariously right now AND I learned something new in the process.

Enjoy the best dang tablefare in America.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back