Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rainier Beer in WY!

A little off topic, but about ten years ago I was at a little mom and pop store in a little town, far away from anywhere. On the front porch was a bunch of old signs and other cool stuff, and right by the front door was a six foot tall metal and porcilin cut out of the Rainier Bear. I'm not really into advertizing colectables and I don't like Rainier beer but I sure would like to have that sign.
Wasn't that the Hamms beer bear?

You're right. I guess I'm getting old and all those cheap beers I used to drink knda blend together in my memory.

my question still remains. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many choices. Grew up with Raindog and Oly.

^2x…grew up surrounded by cheap beer drinkers. Father was an Oly guy (“It’s the Water” yep its water alright🤢) while the Unk bounced between Rainey and Hamms. I had the little finger out drinking my bottle of Henry Weinhard’s, nutten but class at our place!

When I was a teenager, they couldn't sell Coors in Oregon because it wasn't pasteurized. So, it was kind of the holy grail of beer for us delinquent teens and other rebels. People would make beer runs to California to smuggle it back into the state.

Can't stand that swill now days.

^2x…grew up surrounded by cheap beer drinkers. Father was an Oly guy (“It’s the Water” yep its water alright🤢) while the Unk bounced between Rainey and Hamms. I had the little finger out drinking my bottle of Henry Weinhard’s, nutten but class at our place!
I recall in the 90's HW was often on special in our college town that ran on Keystone. Man what I wouldn't give today to have ol' Henry instead of another damn IPA....

Last edited:
I recall in the 90's HW was often on special in our college town that ran on Keystone. Man what I wouldn't give today to have ol' Henry instead of another damn IPA....
Yup, was thinking I was pretty damn high-falutin with a bottle of "Private Reserve" in my hands lol, Rainey did have great commercials back in the day though! I did the Tumwater tour once, pretty place but not pretty enough to make up for their God awful beer!

That stuff wasn’t cheap beer. Buckhorn and near beer were the cheap ones! Lucky Lager, Oly and Rainer were the good stuff. Always in bottles.

A couple stores in Laramie used to carry it. I think the station has closed down, but Northridge liquors carried it while I was still living down there.

As an edit, The Station had six tall boys for $4.50 and was two blocks from our house. My roommate and I took full advantage of that smoking deal many a time. Sad they closed down, my favorite memory was going to get "supplies" with my sister in law as there was a tornado warning in effect. We roll over to the station and look north of Laramie and there is a massive funnel cloud forming just a couple miles north of town. Figured we better double our order to four sixers instead of two. Didn't know how long we'd be without power....sure as $hit weren't gonna be without beer!

Last edited:
You're right. I guess I'm getting old and all those cheap beers I used to drink knda blend together in my memory.
Hamms was my cheap beer of choice only because of their "unique" containers. They were the first to use aluminum cans. I loved plinking them with .22. Bullets zinged right through without knocking the can over. I could literally shoot one to pieces without having to walk downrange and set it up again. At the time that was very cool. There was something else unusual about those cans. Didn't they have a shape like small keg?

That stuff wasn’t cheap beer. Buckhorn and near beer were the cheap ones! Lucky Lager, Oly and Rainer were the good stuff. Always in bottles.
Best thing about Lucky was trying to figure out the riddle under the bottle cap...especial after one or two (dozen?)

Reactions: JEL
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back