Rain Jacket

Why just the jacket? For a mere $100 I will ship both of these to your door. They are man(read big boned) sizes. XL coat and L pants. Russel Cyclone. Hardly used.

P1010849.jpg

P1010850.jpg

All I can say is: make sure that they are "breathable". I bought some lesser priced raingear from Cabelas for a caribou hunt in Canada. I was soaked inside... not due to the rain... due to the perspiration.

good luck to all
the dog

RE pointingdogsrule's comment "All I can say is: make sure that they are "breathable". I bought some lesser priced raingear from Cabelas for a caribou hunt in Canada. I was soaked inside... not due to the rain... due to the perspiration. ": ANY "breathable" membrane, whether it be goretex or any of the miriad of brands on the market today, will catch condensation if you perspire a lot. So, just because you wear a breathable membrane doesn't mean you shouldn't dress in layers and do your utmost to not sweat a lot, even if it's raining.

How much do you need it to be camo? Some great options out that aren't. I really like my Patagonia Torrentshell

How much do you need it to be camo? Some great options out that aren't. I really like my Patagonia Torrentshell

I'm just looking to stay dry, (as I did not this past season on my NM elk hunt) I don't care about making a fashion statement. As a bow hunter I like being in full camo, but as a former outfitter I know that camo is 90% for the hunter.

Thanks

Npaden- how does that Torrent gear look? I was thinking about getting some.

Are you buying a rain jacket as a dedicated outer layer with an aim to keep you dry and warm yet still allow the transfer of moisture out through the garment or are you looking for a shell that is water resistant and will hold up in a shower, but not withstand a lengthy downpour.

Read up on the hydrostatic pressure (head) ratings for incoming and also the breathability rating for moisture transfer out through the garment. If you can't find this information on the gear you are looking at it is probably either not known or not a dedicated outer shell.

If the truth be know you might be just as better of getting a drab coloured hiking jacket from a respected company with many years of testing gear under their belts that could end up being a lot less then a whiz bang flash looking shiny piece of new camouflage gear from a company surging onto the market.

Little things like the quality of velcro, width and tenacity of cuffs, fit, design and style of both hood and pockets all start to become important when you are a long way from camp with a big day infront of you and dark clouds are building.

Good luck on your choice!

IMO, better than "breathable" (which I still sweat in) are pit zips. Open air circulation is better for keeping from feeling like you wearing a Hefty bag.

Mine's not camo and not very quiet, but my REI One jacket keeps me dry.

Npaden- how does that Torrent gear look? I was thinking about getting some.

It's quality stuff just like all the Core4 stuff I've bought. All the bells and whistles that you would expect with a high end set of rain gear. Pit zips, plenty of pockets, etc.

I really had a hard time deciding between the Torrent and the APXg2 Cyclone though. For just $100 that APXg2 Cyclone set is tremendous value. It's probably 90% as good as the Core4 Torrent set for about 1/2 the price. I just decided to splurge and keep the nicer set and the Core4 is a little nicer.

I'm no expert on gear, but I do have some Sitka, Kuiu, lots of Core4 and some Russell APXg2 stuff to compare with each other.

KUIU gear is some of the best stuff out there...my chugach jacket is 17.5 oz and packs down very small

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back