Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rage Broadheas

I'm not a big fan of any aluminum ferrule broadhead, but the video said more about the weakness of the arrow than the broadhead imo.

The only time I use a Rage is a 3 blade on turkeys. So far they have been pretty devastating. I wouldn't shoot one at a big game animal, though.

I guess that's why idaho outlawed mechanicals for Big Game.

I watched an episode of Bone Collector (don't judge me) a week or so ago and Michael Waddell made a terrible shot on an elk. He flat out said "that's why we shoot these broadheads. Not for the perfects shots, but for those marginal shots". I about spit out my Jack and Coke!! They shoot some G5 2 blade mechanicals. Here I am trying to show my DAUGHTER's boyfriend some elk hunting when he wasn't stuck at her hip, too bad it happened to be that show, but he was happy to see elk. I lectured him sternly about taking marginal shots, no matter what the weapon was, and he seemed to get the point as a new hunter. Hopefully it sunk in.

Last edited:
I've used rage on some large whitetails without a problem. Always 2 blades though. This years deer was 160"ish 300+ lb deer and I used the 2.5" rage extreme 2 blade. At 30 yds the head opened as it should, clean pass through and still stuck in the ground a couple inches. The buck made it about 40yds. I was very impressed. Interesting enough, I was using the same Easton fmj arrows as in the video.

Something didnt seem right to me about how easy those arrows were blowing up. I've shot those arrows into some pretty hard pieces of wood when I've missed and most the time they come out of it fine. Even if they do break, it's never been even close to what was happening in that video.

I used to shoot Rage 2 blades, and never had a problem, but after hearing lots of horror stories I finally switched and I don't see myself going back.

Watched a kid shoot a very big bull ( one of the best I have seen)at 50 yards broadside with a mechanical . Hit six inches behind the shoulder and half way up. The arrow darn near bounced off. Got no more than 6 inches of penetration and likely less. Never found that bull. Convinced me I would never use a mechanical. Elk are just a whole lot different than deer.

Watched a kid shoot a very big bull ( one of the best I have seen)at 50 yards broadside with a mechanical . Hit six inches behind the shoulder and half way up. The arrow darn near bounced off. Got no more than 6 inches of penetration and likely less. Never found that bull. Convinced me I would never use a mechanical. Elk are just a whole lot different than deer.

Excellent point. Even shooting fixed blades in the past, I made a bad shot at 20yds and hit the front shoulder of a big whitetail. Arrow never penetrated to the vitals. This is with a 475gr arrow out of a 74lb bow.

Elk ribs are huge in comparison, Elk shoulders might as well be made of steel when it comes to archery equipment.

Why would mechanicals have less penetration? I thought the issue with mechanicals is that the blades don't open up.

Not sure what to think of the video. Beef ribs are pretty big. He needs to do the same test with another broadhead.

I'll have to give that a try!! But, I still won't shoot a Rage on a big game animal :D

I'll continue to use them on deer, With my set up, I just dont see it being a problem. Elk is a completely different story though, I'll stick to the Muzzy trocars for those adventures.

Why would mechanicals have less penetration? I thought the issue with mechanicals is that the blades don't open up.

Not sure what to think of the video. Beef ribs are pretty big. He needs to do the same test with another broadhead.

Many mechanicals open up to a very large cutting width. This almost guarantees that you will need to get through two ribs and a lot of tough elk hide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back