Rage Broadheas

I've still never killed an elk, but I warn my buddies about any wide cut mechanicals. My buddy shot 2 does this past fall with the 2 inch rage using a 60lb bow. Made really good shots on each but we found both deer alive, granted they were incapacitated within 100 yards but even after a couple hours they were sitting there looking at us. Broadheads worked as advertised but both cases only got single lung penetration. Big broadheads and superlight arrows can be a recipe for disaster

I've still never killed an elk, but I warn my buddies about any wide cut mechanicals. My buddy shot 2 does this past fall with the 2 inch rage using a 60lb bow. Made really good shots on each but we found both deer alive, granted they were incapacitated within 100 yards but even after a couple hours they were sitting there looking at us. Broadheads worked as advertised but both cases only got single lung penetration. Big broadheads and superlight arrows can be a recipe for disaster

IMHO super lite arrows and any broadhead is a recipe for disaster. The big cutting diameter ones just make it that much worse.

After seeing the devastating effects from Rage on deer I switched this past year. Shot a buck at 60 yards and his lungs were blown out the other side and the blood trail would've made Jason Voorhees proud. I'll never use another broadhead, Rage is all I'll ever need.

I have played around with broadheads and arrow combinations the last three or four years. My opinion is it can be a horse a piece either way.

If you make a bad shot to far forward a small diameter head gives you a chance to get through some bones.

If you make a bad shot to far back a large head gives you a better chance with a big hole.

After playing around for the last few years I went back to a small diameter two blade head with a small diameter heavy arrow. I mainly hunt whitetials so I don't think it makes a difference but I wanted to have a setup that I felt more comfortable to switch to for Elk. I want the same set up.

I killed a few deer with them and was not impressed for as much as they cost. They rattled and fell open if I bumped anything with them. I went to Slick Tricks and they just plain work and fly perfectly.

I too have had great success with the rage two-blade on whitetail. Even a poor shoot at forty yards the deer fell within sight. They fly great but I'm still a skeptic of folding blades and have had friends and family that have moved to the ramcat...so I believe that is the direction I'm going for elk and deer this year.

My friend who guides hunts on his ranch has had great results with the clients using rage on elk. He says they have great blood trails. I personally switched to Exodus fixed blade and am totally impressed. They are the best flying fixed blade I've ever had and a decent cutting diameter.

I have personally seen elk killed with rage two blade and slice thru rib bone like a samari sowrd sowrd at 45 yrds. Made me a believer. I like ulmer edges. Shoot just like field tips

I personally don't like the Rage simply because they are a one use head. I had good luck with the ones I shot, but I have never had good luck trying to change the blades and one had a bent ferrule.

That being said, they have always been good heads and the Easton FMJ's are solid arrows. I think that video shed some light on that guys arrow construction skills. I've never seen arrows blow apart like that and I've watched plenty of videos of arrows shot into block, steel, bone etc.

All the deer I have killed have been with a Rage or a Schwacker. All were wishing 80 yards of where the were shot. I will probably now go after elk with them. Probably have an entire different set up in regards to arrows for anything bigger than a whitetail. Shot placement is to me more important that anything. And for some reason, the broad heads I shoot give me more confidence. I don't know why, they just do and work for me. But, I also tend to do weird things during college basketball season. Sometimes they work, this year they didn't, but it gives me a little confidence. Who knows, maybe I ate paint chips as a kid?

I have witnessed personally 2 elk killed with 2blade expendables one was rage 2 blade 50yrds. One was ulmer edges 60 yrds. Both elk died within eyesight of the shot. I'm sold

Back