Raffles Vs. Auctions

BigHornRam

A number of people here think raffles are a better way to raise money for conservation. So how much did YOU spend on wildlife group raffles in the past year? Counting the $250 spent at the Utah Sportsmens Show last winter, I spent about $500. Anyone else care to share what you spent on raffles?

A number of people here think raffles are a better way to raise money for conservation.
Only when it comes to tags that would otherwise be drawn by some lucky sportsman who can't afford to pony up 100K for an elk tag.
Auctions are fine for art work, guns, a blind date with Jose or anything else you could normally buy for a price.
I probably put $100 into Raffle tags. (yea, right, that’s what I tell the wife)

When I go to the "Shows", I like Bidding on things. I buy minimum Raffles. But I also have never played the Lotto. I like getting what I'm going after, Luck is for Losers :p

"Only when it comes to tags that would otherwise be drawn by some lucky sportsman who can't afford to pony up 100K for an elk tag."

So you don't have a problem with Utah raffleing off tags at the Sportsmens Show? You still have to buy the license and pay the resident or non-resident license fee. You are only winning the opportunity to buy a license. A lot of money was raised last year through this raffle. Also a lot of complaints from the "I hate auctions, let's do raffles" crowd.

I'm not surprised at the lack off participation of this thread. It appears like the hunters who don't like governor tags, don't buy many raffle tickets either. Maybe I'm wrong?

I like the idea of having a chance at it, even if it is almost nil.

I bought raffle tags for sheep in 2 states. Raffle tickets for optics. And a raffle ticket for a purty shotgun.

I'd guess I spent $200 on raffles in 2007.

BHR, I spent only $100 on raffle tags this year because I drew my sheep tag and had to pay for the hunt. Last year I spent at least $350 that I can remember. I'd say that's pretty typical most years.

Nearly zero; I actually spent $50 at the Expo last year.. IMO, that money is better spent by me buying non-resident tags. As an aside, there are some interesting funding 'clearinghouses' being set up to pay for habitat projects and the feds and state agencies are the majority sources of $$. Plus, at least I'm garunteed some fun with a tag, even if that is just making soup with it... ;)

I must be the guy you are talking about.
I detest the idea that a rich fellow can hunt every year while working class dogs like myself have to be lucky to hunt the same animals.
Generally, I have the same burden taxwise and produce similar revenue for outdoors via Pitt/Rob. Yet only the privileged can take from the surplus on a yearly basis.
If you count Idaho's draws, Montana's draws and Idaho's supertag scam, I put in about $200 per year. But I almost never enter a real raffle. They are usually not for game or equipment I desire.
So, I am quick to cry foul when I am really just jealous of another tax bracket.

"try saying no to the hooter wannabes"

is that what A-con was refering to when he mentioned the right way to promote raffles, Ken? Just asking.

Can't say that I've ever bought a raffle ticket for any 'hunt'. I think the only raffle I ever got into I won. Put $20 and won 4 box seats to a Ravens game a couple years ago.

I "give" about $1500-1800 a year to various state wildlife agencies. Figured that was enough. I'd rather give an extra $100-200 to the state agencies.

Put $20 and won 4 box seats to a Ravens game a couple years ago.

Dude, they kept drawing names until someone would claim the "prize".

I think you're probably right... I know a couple guys here at work that can barley give thier tickets away lately. :D good thing I'm a 'Skins fan.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back