Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

R7 mule b tags

In all honesty almost every state I have hunted deer had unlimited doe tags for some reason.
Wisconsin - 2 free with my license and almost unlimited additional.
Minnesota - almost unlimited over counter.
Mississippi - 5 bucks and 8 does per calendar year.
Montana - well you know...
The first three states, Whitetails only.
Montana, both whitetails and mule deer. Whitetails are doing fine. Mule Deer are not handling the pressure nearly as well.

Based on the picture with the camper, mule deer aren’t the only thing being over harvested in that area. That rangeland looks to be in tough shape given the amount of rain R7 has seen this year.

Well if there is any good news here, I think the ability to get a doe tag is going to have my dad come with me next week to hunt. He didn’t apply for a buck tag this spring because he wasn’t sure he could make it. Turned out he could but didn’t have a tag so wasn’t going to come. When I told him I think he can get a doe tag that changed his mind. Having a hunt with your dad is always special! I’m not going to get one, have a buck tag that will be enough for me. Plenty of venison in the freezer from last year yet. These tags are available OTC for nonresidents right for all Region 7 units? I can call FWP but thought I would ask here as well. Hate to have him drive all that way and not get a tag. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Well if there is any good news here, I think the ability to get a doe tag is going to have my dad come with me next week to hunt. He didn’t apply for a buck tag this spring because he wasn’t sure he could make it. Turned out he could but didn’t have a tag so wasn’t going to come. When I told him I think he can get a doe tag that changed his mind. Having a hunt with your dad is always special! I’m not going to get one, have a buck tag that will be enough for me. Plenty of venison in the freezer from last year yet. These tags are available OTC for nonresidents right for all Region 7 units? I can call FWP but thought I would ask here as well. Hate to have him drive all that way and not get a tag. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Yes they are surplus tags and there’s around 2,400 left but I wouldn’t wait forwvwr to buy one , go online and buy guessing he’d have it in few days

Or call Fwp Monday and buy one . And yes they are good for a doe mule deer in all of region 7

and it’s awesome he’s coming with you . Shooting a doe or 2 is not a bad thing . It’s the groups like the ones in the pictures that make no sense to me Why get greedy . But good luck to you both I hope get a big buck and him a nice fat doe !

and it’s awesome he’s coming with you . Shooting a doe or 2 is not a bad thing . It’s the groups like the ones in the pictures that make no sense to me Why get greedy . But good luck to you both I hope get a big buck and him a nice fat doe !
Thanks. Can he buy one if he doesn’t have the general license at this point? That was my only thought after I typed that since he doesn’t have a general license he can’t purchase..

If People want to shoot things just to shoot things They should take up snow goose hunting. No good reason to kill a mule deer doe, hell I see no reason to kill a mule deer buck unless it’s got 150” or better of horn. Other things just taste better.. Kids/new hunters maybe. Weird... 7 doe tags?? Some people are phyco...

Jeez, just read through this entire thread. Didn't you guys already hash this out over like 22 pages of drivel not last year?!!

Jeez, just read through this entire thread. Didn't you guys already hash this out over like 22 pages of drivel not last year?!!
SE Montana public land mule deer doe hunting is kind of like a hind end full of cactus. Just about the time you think all the thorns are out and you can finally sit down with out being reminded what a dummy you are for not looking before you sat down another thorn festers it's way to the surface.

Last edited:
Yup! SE Montana deer management at it's finest! There is not a partial of public accessible land that is not seeing heavy hunting pressure. The difference from previous years is the moisture that the area received this year. The moisture and good vegetation growth had the deer very spread out and that included the public lands. The deer were not dependent on the greener hay fields and pastures of the closed off private lands. With that, the opener HARVEST was very, very good!

View attachment 118573
View attachment 118574

Guessing that these two public land partials will be damn near devoid of wildlife after a week or two of this type of hunting HARVEST......
Both parties were checked out by the Warden and no citations were written,,,,all was good, legal and they had more R7 doe tags to fill!
Wow...it's no wonder I see what I've been seeing when I come back to MT to hunt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back