Caribou Gear

Quickload to profile Hammers.

Just got a box of 143 lever hammers to put in the new to me old lever that is on its way. Birth year rifle 63 JC Higgins 45 30/30. I'll try the LVR and see how things go.

Loaded up twenty in ten 2 shot ladder style. Leverevolution powder, federal cases, CCI large rifle primers. 34-38.5 in .5 increases. Did not chrono anything Friday. Realized that my eyes, an old 3x higgins scope and 100 yds are not very conducive to grouping things. But, I got the obvious "that will not work groups" and one 1" group shooting at a 3" bullseye. I know, the center of three inches is the same size as the center of a 1". At any rate, I switched to a 4.5 x 14 Burris and loaded up 10 with 36.5 grains Leverevolution powder. Seated to last groove, 2.555" if I remember correctly. Had to resight the rig in. Used some 150 Hornady RN for that and then commenced shooting the Hammers. First shot about three inches to right of Hornady. Second shot did not register. WTF? Did that go in the same hole? Shot third shot, 1/2' left of first. Guess second one did go in first hole. Shot all ten and six of them were all in same ragged hole. Now the missing 4 are what worries me. 7 of the ten were within a 1" group. The other three were flyers, two were 2" high and the other was 2"left. So I'm trying to reason out why this is happening. I have probably put 100 rounds through this gun so far and maybe its needs a good cleaning. Actually broke the gun down last night and cleaned all the internals, smoothed the action and I did find that the buttstock screw was not tight at all. Did not seem to have a lot of play in it but that might be a cause of flyers. Tightened everthing, loaded an additional ten shells and went back to the range today. Brought the magnettospeed along. I removed the tubular magazine so I could attach the chrono. Hornady 150 RN with 35 LVR 2330, 143 Lever Hammer 36.5 lvr 2437. 36.5 was the accuracy node I found on day one. I had gone to 38.5 and those were just too hot. Ok, I like to proof loads at 200 to see if they will hold any accuracy. Shot the remaining 9 at 200, one shot, cool the barrel. Try it again. First four shots went into a 3" group a little lower than I would have expected but I did not resight the rifle at 100 before beginning again. The last five went in a 3" group but 3-4" lower. IT could be the rifle was continuing to settle in after being disassembled. Maybe the copper or fouling was building up in the barrel. I do not have the answer for that one. The horizontal spread remained good. I will load up twenty more, avoid cleaning the bore, resight at 100 and then see if things improve.

Back