Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Questions for Tundra Owners

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I had a crew max for 4 years that I bought new and sold with 80k for a Tacoma which I love. The limited slip worked great, but if your so concerned a TRD off road models have a locking rear diff. On the other hand a SR or SR5 model with fewer features are easy to upgrade, add your own intermittent wipers etc.. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with less features, still a great truck.

Mine didn't have the intermittent wipers either when bought it. But you can easily find the intermittent lever/switch on-line (used ~$75 / new ~$125 eBay prices). Wiring harness is already in place. Took me less than 30 minutes to swap out.
Did you follow a youtube vid? I'm pretty incompetent with tools in my hands.

Did you follow a youtube vid? I'm pretty incompetent with tools in my hands.

There is two screws holding the steering column shroud / cover. Take the bottom half off and you now have access to the wiper- one screw to take that off and put the new on on.

I have a 15' Tundra Crew. I put fox 2.0 shocks and 4" RC lift with 275/60r18 AT tires on it. The company who installed the lift screwed up on tightening the front end and alignment came out within a few months so I had to replace two tires but that is nothing against the truck. Only 75k miles so far. Drives great on pavement, rough roads, snow or mud. I pull a 30' camp trailer with atv deck on it and it does fine with the camper loaded down as long as I don't exceed 65 mph.

It's been a great truck and the only complaint or reason I would ever look at something different is gas mileage in which case I would look at diesel. Those have their cons though as well.

My 2008 and 2015 have been great. I ordered my 2015 with the non flex fuel engine and I apparently get a couple miles per gallon better mileage based on what I see on the internet. You may want to kind of watch for a non flex fuel version. At least in my experience, I think I would. The DC cabs have been great for me and I haul a lot of stuff around in the bed. Upgraded to Bilstein 6112/5160 and ride quality is nice. 275 70 18 Cooper ST Maxx just went on. Currently at 75,000. Planning on 250-300K for it.

My 2008 and 2015 have been great. I ordered my 2015 with the non flex fuel engine and I apparently get a couple miles per gallon better mileage based on what I see on the internet. You may want to kind of watch for a non flex fuel version. At least in my experience, I think I would. The DC cabs have been great for me and I haul a lot of stuff around in the bed. Upgraded to Bilstein 6112/5160 and ride quality is nice. 275 70 18 Cooper ST Maxx just went on. Currently at 75,000. Planning on 250-300K for it.
I do not think that there is an option for the non-flex-fuel motor. Correct me if I'm wrong. It would definitely be a good option.

I don't think it is available any longer on new ones. But if a guy finds a used one with it, I'd strongly consider it.

Anyone here have the smaller V8? I see they went to a timing chain on these in 2010. The smaller engines certainly don't seem to have the demand, which is good and bad. I don't need the horsepower, but resale down the road is a consideration.

Anyone here have the smaller V8? I see they went to a timing chain on these in 2010. The smaller engines certainly don't seem to have the demand, which is good and bad. I don't need the horsepower, but resale down the road is a consideration.
Yeah I have the 4.6. Been great. Still plenty of power.

I had a slightly different experience with my 2013. I had a 2012 Titan that got totaled in 2015 and bought the tundra. it already had a lift and spacers so running chains was no issue. It bad power to spare with an aftermarket cold air intake and dual exhaust. Mileage sucked, around 11 mpg. Fully loaded and nose into a stiff breeze dropped it to under 10.
The truck had 18K when I bought it. Not long after, one of my rear calipers seized up and I ended up replacing both. Then, intermittently, but with increasing frequency, the 4Lo light would come on blinking along with the check engine light. Initially, shutting the truck off and waiting a minute or two it would go back to normal. That eventually didn't' work and after a few more times, those lights would come on and the truck would go into limp mode. I took it to a garage who replaced the 4wd actuator. That didn't work. I then took it to 2 different dealers who reset the codes but couldn't figure out what was wrong. They suggested changing the AIP and valves for around 2K but couldn't guarentee that was the issue (google Tundra AIP issues). I was already $1200 into repairs and looking at another 2K with no assurances so I ended up trading it on my Tacoma. After having a Titan and a Tundra both around the same year, I would take the Nissan every time.

I’m on my 3rd Tundra now, a 2016 TRD Pro.

My first one was a 2012 Tundra with the 4.6. Mileage wasn’t great power was worse and resale even worse. Traded it for a 2014 Tundra then just had to have the PRO.

No issues with any except no chains on the front. But I have a Jeep for that.

I bought a 2010 crewmax 3 years ago with 105k on it, and I'm at 165k now. Done basic maintenance, the power steering blew last year which was a bummer, and I upgraded to bilstein shocks but otherwise it's been great. I added a leaf in the rear to help with sagging under load, it was a great fix for $100.

I'd like to figure out if I can solve for the front chains without any spacers or such.....but I haven't had to chain up yet. A smart man would at least practice/test on dry comfortable conditions.

One other thing I did was put a receiver in the front, they're like $150. I then ran power for my winch to both the front and back, and put it in a receiver winch mount so I have flexibility. Sometimes it's a pain to carry in the bed of the truck, but when you can hook it up on the rear, it makes it nice.

3) Mine is an SR5, but with leather, power seats, intermittent wipers and such which is unique, but the SR5 badge controlled the price.

4) I'm not a fan, I've debated on a locker, but not worth the investment.

5) Shortbed on the crewmax, but I also love the very large backseat, so flip a coin.

6) As noted above the power steering blew, which sucked, but otherwise it's been at a basic level.

No issues with any except no chains on the front. But I have a Jeep for that.
I easily run chains on the front without any issues. I can see where you can't with the tacoma, but there's a ton of space in my tundra.

I easily run chains on the front without any issues. I can see where you can't with the tacoma, but there's a ton of space in my tundra.

On all 3 Tundra's I have owned with factory tires the chains when turning will hit on the inside of the front fender.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back