Questions for Tundra Owners

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

So I'm beginning my OCD research for purchasing a used Tundra in the coming months. I haven't had a truck payment in 15 years, and I'm not looking forward to it. In order to mitigate this, I'm looking for a 3rd generation Tundra in the 100k to 180k mile range so I can pay it off in 3-4 years and then hope to drive it to about 300k miles like I have my Dodge.

A few questions I've not been able to definitively answer, hoping some of you can help.

1) Can you fit tire chains (links, not V bars) on the front tires? I read in an older thread on here you can put a 1.25 hub centric spacer on the fronts that will allow chains to fit. Yes or no?

2) Do the hub centric spacers affect anything? I am assuming they would increase wear on ball joints and wheel bearings, but to what degree?

3) I am assuming the Grade models are basic no frills? No power seats, etc? Any reason to avoid these? I don't really care about the TRD package because I'll add my own stuff like Bilstein shocks and skid plates if necessary.

4) Does the limited slip work as claimed?

5) Anything you particularly dislike about your truck?

6) Any higher mileage maintenance items that are difficult and/or expensive?

Some chains work, but it depends on the tires. I have used them on my 2010, but they do not fit now. Tires are a bit different. I have had virtually no maintenance issues with mine in 131,000 miles. The brake rotors warp easily and that is a service bulletin. Not a big deal, but they just don't dissipate the heat well. Slotted rotors can take care of that, but it is not a big deal to me. Truck still stops.

The limited slip works great. You push a button and turn off the stupid traction crap, and it pulls from all four wheels.

I cannot really find anything that I do not like about my 2010. It is a basic model and I upgraded the exhaust and put Bilstein shocks on it. Other than that, I have really done nothing to it. I have run only Amsoil synthetic oil in it and it runs as good as a brand new one. I will NEVER own anything but Toyota, again. They put everything else to shame, as far as durability and reliability.

My Tundra is a 2016 base SR. Nothing fancy. So far only 85K on it. Two years ago went on a hunt that recommended we have 4x4 and chains just in case the access road got ugly. I had no clearance issue on the rear with link chains and 1.25" spacers. The front was a little tighter. I am running 275/60R-20 tires. To get clearance I removed the factory mud flaps. I was okay driving around the yard, but didn't have to use the chains for an ugly situation. After the hunt I removed the spacers.

So far all I have done it basic preventative service and replacing rear brake pads (just 2 weeks ago). I always use full synthetic oils. I want to upgrade to Bilstein shocks as the factory shocks are showing age. Nothing else. Everything else is working great.

If interested, I might be let go of my spacers and chains. They haven't been on the truck in 2 years. Spacers probably have 2500 miles on them (trip to CO and back). Chains installed to check fit and drove around the yard.

Like hooper, I am sold on Toyota. My wife has a 2012 Camry hybrid with 105k and nothing but oil changes and tires. I can't say that for my last GMC and Ford items.

I have a 2012 with 135k. I bought a base work truck/fleet version than I found (apparently their weren't many made).

1. I can easily fit links in the front with stock size tires. However, I upgraded my tire size a little and added a heavier front bumper so now I have to run peerless in the front (think micro links), if I want to still push it hard (bounce around while turning) with chains.
3. Base is great, I will say mine does not include intermittent wipers (I know... my 1982 pickup had them but not 2012), that's my only lack of feature complaint, though it would be nice to have an outside temp readout.
4. Works great.
5. Rotor warping and lack of intermittent wipers are my only real complaints, the terrible gas mileage kinda sucks too.
6. Nothing for me yet.

I have 4 Spidertrax spacers available, basically new, off my gx470. 100 bucks if you get to that point.

I purchased a '14 Tundra SR-5 11 months ago and have not had a single issue with it.
I've got Cooper AT3 LT tires on it and it does great in the snow/ice/mud. Like others have said, the gas mileage isn't ideal, but you get over it.
I'm with Neffa3, no intermittent wipers is annoying, haha.
Very happy I upgraded from my GMC Sierra.

not sure what years are Gen3 but my 2010 tundra TRD double cab has been absolutely trouble free. Only 90k on it thus far.

I think I need new shocks for it and will upgrade those asap. Just yesterday had someone detail the outside and inside including the many sage brush etc “pinstripes”. looks practically new heading into antelope hunt this weekend.

I have a 2015 SR5 and love it. I usually buy used but in researching I could get one brand new for around the same price as a used one that was a couple years old. Purchased the least expensive off the lot...no frills just basic gear. I can pull essentially anything with it....my 4.7 liter Dodge was a different story not to mention the u-joint going out at 50K. I have taken it in some nasty places with no issues. I run Revo 2's on it that I believe are 10ply and have never had an issue. I haven't had to put chains in front but believe it would be very tight and would only use them to get out of a big mess, which I've been able to avoid so far. No issues otherwise.

i'm kind of kicking the tires with a used pickup, not to hi-jack the thread, but anyone run a Double Cab along with a family? from the research i have done with the toyotas, sounds like they have the biggest "extended" cab version before going to the crew 5.5' box, although the specs only show 2" more for leg room vs a ford extended cab...
and the DC are cheaper and easier to find around here

i'm kind of kicking the tires with a used pickup, not to hi-jack the thread, but anyone run a Double Cab along with a family? from the research i have done with the toyotas, sounds like they have the biggest "extended" cab version before going to the crew 5.5' box, although the specs only show 2" more for leg room vs a ford extended cab...

Go sit in the back seat, due to the way the rear of the cab is designed it makes the back look small from the outside but feels pretty big when you're back there. I bought the CrewMax because we had 2 kids in car seats + one on the way and just felt like the extra cab room would be nice, and it is, I can put a cooler on the rear floor at their feet for easy access on road trips. Sometimes I wish I had the longer bed but I will likely go that route in a few years when we're done with car seats...

Bought one new 10 years ago with all the bells and whistles and am approaching 200k and a lot of hard miles with no issues. I don't run chains on the front with my larger tires but I've taken it a lot of places I didn't think it could go with no issues. Literally none. The most reliable hassle free truck I've ever owned by a mile. I've replaced shocks and brakes which is normal. Rides great, drives great, comfortable backseat for adults.

Just put gas in it and change the oil and you'll be fine.

Our family fits very easily in the Double cab. More space than many SUVs.

I have a 2012 with 135k. I bought a base work truck/fleet version than I found (apparently their weren't many made).

1. I can easily fit links in the front with stock size tires. However, I upgraded my tire size a little and added a heavier front bumper so now I have to run peerless in the front (think micro links), if I want to still push it hard (bounce around while turning) with chains.
3. Base is great, I will say mine does not include intermittent wipers (I know... my 1982 pickup had them but not 2012), that's my only lack of feature complaint, though it would be nice to have an outside temp readout.
4. Works great.
5. Rotor warping and lack of intermittent wipers are my only real complaints, the terrible gas mileage kinda sucks too.
6. Nothing for me yet.

Mine didn't have the intermittent wipers either when bought it. But you can easily find the intermittent lever/switch on-line (used ~$75 / new ~$125 eBay prices). Wiring harness is already in place. Took me less than 30 minutes to swap out.

Mine is a double cab and I am very happy. Plenty of rear leg room unless you are >6'6". Love having the larger bed. I tend to be a hauler and there always seems to be room in the bed.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back