MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Question about wearing orange in CO

Big Bore

I didn't know if this belonged in this Elk forum, Other Gear forum, or Stupid Question forum...

Going to CO for 2nd rifle this year. Assuming I find a blind, deaf, and nose-less bull willing to coming into handgun range and I'm lucky enough to put a tag on him, am I legally able to remove my orange vest/hat in order to snap a pic or two? It may be a remedial and maybe even stupid question, but remember...I'm from Texas so please type your response slowly.

In all seriousness, I could see an orange-less pic circulating and getting a nice piece of correspondence from the CO Possum Cop...

Not a lawyer, but I would think that would be ok. I think the regs just say that you need orange while hunting.

If you are not a hunting celebrity (in which case you won't want any evidence of a possible violation or setting a bad example for your audience), then go ahead.

Why would you want to?
So the camera isn't blinded by the bright orange reflection. Usually it is not possible to drag an elk to the perfect shaded spot for a picture.

a lot of folks take orange off for pics - i think the wardens know that

i never have, mostly out of laziness, and also because the pics to me are supposed to capture the moment, the moment included orange clothing

Last edited:
Long ago I nearly pulled the trigger on an antelope not realizing there were two hunters directly behind the animal....because they took their orange off for pictures. I could have killed someone....when that sank in that day I got physically ill knowing that I could have killed one of them. Please do not take your orange off people. Do it for yourself, for your spouse, for your kids, for everyone that loves you and wants you to come home safe. Wearing orange where required is like wearing a tuxedo or wedding dress to your wedding....you don't take the tux or dress off for pictures...right? Wear it proudly and show the next generation that being safe is what it's all about.

Long ago I nearly pulled the trigger on an antelope not realizing there were two hunters directly behind the animal....because they took their orange off for pictures. I could have killed someone....when that sank in that day I got physically ill knowing that I could have killed one of them. Please do not take your orange off people. Do it for yourself, for your spouse, for your kids, for everyone that loves you and wants you to come home safe. Wearing orange where required is like wearing a tuxedo or wedding dress to your wedding....you don't take the tux or dress off for pictures...right? Wear it proudly and show the next generation that being safe is what it's all about.

i had that thought. best reason not to do it.

nothing like sitting down without orange on behind a bull elk that's bedded down at the edge of a meadow eh?

however if your picture taking buddies are all huddled around with orange on... still though, always better safe than sorry

I didn't know if this belonged in this Elk forum, Other Gear forum, or Stupid Question forum...

Going to CO for 2nd rifle this year. Assuming I find a blind, deaf, and nose-less bull willing to coming into handgun range and I'm lucky enough to put a tag on him, am I legally able to remove my orange vest/hat in order to snap a pic or two? It may be a remedial and maybe even stupid question, but remember...I'm from Texas so please type your response slowly.

In all seriousness, I could see an orange-less pic circulating and getting a nice piece of correspondence from the CO Possum Cop...

Technically you only have to wear the orange while hunting, the regs say nothing about taking it off after you've killed an animal, so a few pics are fine. I keep mine on pretty much all the time however because I'm more concerned by that one idiot with a rifle than I am about the game warden.

Legally I think you should be just fine. I would be vigilant about who is around and if you see another hunter be sure you've got orange on. Many people shoot first and ask questions later. Maybe hang your orange on a tree nearby so others can see it.

I have had my meat checked by a warden on the way off the mountain in Colorado, we had our vests tied to our packs and we’re no longer wearing our hats. We got a stern warning that we we still needed to wear the orange for safety. So where that falls in the law tells me it is more how the interaction goes with the warden. If you are friendly and respectful I think your ok, if not, I think they could probably write you a ticket. Hauling meat out is still part of hunting.

When it comes to general safety I have seen to many idiots out there to ever really feel safe. If you really want that pic with no orange I would hang the orange on trekking poles or something real close just off camera.

The statutes doesn't mention packing out, butchering, processing an animal in their definitions of hunting or when to wear blaze. So I think it's technically legal to pack out without blaze.

Personally I try to be the "most legal" possible so I don't have to deal with any bs. Wear a vest and a hat, put blaze on your pack. Take at least one pic with your blaze on and then some without.

1594309793933.png
1594309802079.png

Last edited:
Might be a good educational segment for Randy to do. Look at a "bedded buck" 300 yards away with guys in Camo versus one with those guys in orange. With today's camo probably more important than ever.

I have had my meat checked by a warden on the way off the mountain in Colorado, we had our vests tied to our packs and we’re no longer wearing our hats. We got a stern warning that we we still needed to wear the orange for safety. So where that falls in the law tells me it is more how the interaction goes with the warden. If you are friendly and respectful I think your ok, if not, I think they could probably write you a ticket. Hauling meat out is still part of hunting.

When it comes to general safety I have seen to many idiots out there to ever really feel safe. If you really want that pic with no orange I would hang the orange on trekking poles or something real close just off camera.

I try and make sure to have orange attached to my pack other wise is really hard to see it with a big pack and bino harness on.

[/QUOTE/]
and from the game wardens point of view he doesn't know if you weren't in orange when you were hunting and just tied a vest on your pack or what. It's easy to prove you were wearing orange if you still have it on lol. So even though it's legal to pack out without orange on (from my understanding) I would personally wear orange at all times in the field (especially during a super busy OTC rifle hunt) until I'm back at the truck or in camp for the night

I would be wary of getting too cute when interpreting laws and regs. Remember that every court case has at least 2 lawyers and half of them loose their arguments every time it goes to trial.

On a hot Wyoming afternoon couple of years ago I was getting ready to shoot a pronghorn doe and luckily saw some odd movement that stopped me. Some guy without any orange on was in a small depression a couple hundred yards behind my doe field dressing his pronghorn. He was dressed in camo and even when he stood up he was hard to see. Be safe.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back