CO application hunters ed question

FrogFire7

Hey All,

I am from PA. Going to apply for CO this spring... my question is:

I took hunters ed 20 years ago, when we got an orange card and no number on it. (I still have my original card). What do you all do in this situation when applying for CO and they ask for that information?

Fwiw, I got an OTC tag in CO last year, and I don't think they even asked for my hunters ed card.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey All,

I am from PA. Going to apply for CO this spring... my question is:

I took hunters ed 20 years ago, when we got an orange card and no number on it. What do you all do in this situation when applying for CO and they ask for that information?

Fwiw, I got an OTC tag in CO last year, and I don't think they even asked for my hunters ed card.

Thanks
Get ahold of pa game commission and they can help you get a replacement card I took my class in 1972 and lost my card that was before records on a computer so I had to fill out a form with as much information I could remember get it notarized and send back they issued a new card you probably won’t have that much trouble they should have yours on file from 20 years ago

Thanks! I do still have my card, but when you are applying for licenses online, CO P&W asks for your education type (Firearm Certified, Test 50, or Bow Certified), and your Education Number (which I don't have since the old school cards weren't numbered). Also asks for country and state, which I obviously do have.

Your state will surely have an appropriate card replacement, with a number available for a small fee and maybe even just the needed number available over the phone.

Thanks! I do still have my card, but when you are applying for licenses online, CO P&W asks for your education type (Firearm Certified, Test 50, or Bow Certified), and your Education Number (which I don't have since the old school cards weren't numbered). Also asks for country and state, which I obviously do have.
I

If your card doesn't have a number put in the date that it was issues with the state postal code.

01-28-2000-PA
01/28/2000/Pennsylvania

Either I think works, not sure what the character requirements are but you get the point. Enter it in a way that if you are in the field the game warden can see it's obviously a date and state so they can compare it with your card.

FYI, this is also the procedure in other states.

Look at the bottom of the top panel of your 2020 license to see what was entered. The last line is "Hunter education certificates." I didn't realize you could purchase a license without providing something.

Look at the bottom of the top panel of your 2020 license to see what was entered. The last line is "Hunter education certificates." I didn't realize you could purchase a license without providing something.
Well, the OTC I got was purchased from wally-world from a girl that probably didn't even know they sold licenses, so if you had been there, it wouldn't have been much of a shock 😂

Reactions: Oak
If your card doesn't have a number put in the date that it was issues with the state postal code.

01-28-2000-PA
01/28/2000/Pennsylvania

Either I think works, not sure what the character requirements are but you get the point. Enter it in a way that if you are in the field the game warden can see it's obviously a date and state so they can compare it with your card.

This works. I called CPW last year about this very issue. I'm from OH and I have the same problem...no actual number on the hunter ed card. The CPW rep told me to write down the state abbreviation and the date of issuance and that would work.

01-28-2000-PA
01/28/2000/Pennsylvania

You are the man! Thank you. That FAQ does spell out to use the date and state of issuance (as you said). Really appreciate that!!

And if ever in Colo and have time to pop by a CPW office, you can show your card and get it permanently 'verified' and never have to show or input data on it ever again when buying online or in person at a vendor...Apparently if you

From the FAQ:
"How can I get my record verified? Stop by a CPW office with the card, or if the card was issued by Colorado, give CPW a call. The card must either be in the Colorado hunter education database, or CPW must physically see the card. Cards can only be verified over the phone if a person has previously purchased a hunting or fishing license so there is a record to verify."

I was in the same boat as Frog and used my Pa date issue as a number. I followed up with what Khunter has advised and suggest if you get the opportunity to do the same. No worries after that.

I drove all the way to CO one year my hunting companions to make sure they had their Hunter Ed card with them because they would need it when getting their OTC tag. Yep....I was that guy who left it behind! I am even a hunter Ed instructor. The people in Denver at the DOW office were great and called Indiana and validated my info so I would never have to provide my card again.

I drove all the way to CO one year my hunting companions to make sure they had their Hunter Ed card with them because they would need it when getting their OTC tag. Yep....I was that guy who left it behind! I am even a hunter Ed instructor. The people in Denver at the DOW office were great and called Indiana and validated my info so I would never have to provide my card again.
Hilarious! And, awesome of them to do that for you!

Hilarious! And, awesome of them to do that for you!
The people at CDOW are great people. Also while out hunting I have had several interactions with the wardens and they have been some of the most help with questions about the areas I was hunting. One warden even tipped me off on a good mule deer spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back