Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Question about wearing orange in CO

I've only hunted in Colorado once, but I think I saw more people in violation of the orange laws in that week than I have the rest of my life in other states. Seemed like every other person was missing the hat, or missing the vest.

100% I would say 50% of the hunters I meet in the field are in violation of the regs.

That said the blaze reg is pretty absurd in CO, example.

Unit 43.
There are at least 8 concurrent seasons.
September deer rifle season (blaze required)
September bear rifle season (blaze required)
September bear muzzy season (blaze required)
September elk muzzy season (blaze required)
September archery deer season (no blaze)
September archery bear season (no blaze)
September archery elk season (no blaze)
Small game shotgun/rifle (no blaze)

If you look at the ratio of archery tags v. rifle/muzzy tags during Sept it's like 1 rifle hunter to 10 archery hunters... not to mention the pile of hikers/bikers/etc

I always feel pretty weird hunting in sept, trail head is packed and your the only one wearing orange... I'm guarantee it has zero safety value.

2nd/3rd season... Blaze is super important IMHO.

Last edited:
Many years ago I was helping push a 80-acre pasture during IA shotgun deer. The two other guys in my group each shot a doe, and one of them missed on a 3rd doe. As we’re dressing one of the deer this high school kid in carhardts comes over and starts heckling is about shooting at him. He said he was out moving his tree stand. We asked him where his orange was and he said “I’m not hunting.” He was very lucky to have not been killed; he had been on a brushy hillside the hunter was using as a backstop for his shot.

Even if there is no statistical evidence of increased safety of orange I’m still wearing it!

You'd think that the state of New York, where we seem to delight in rules, would have the toughest blaze laws. You'd think that blaze facepaint would be required, along with blaze underwear in case you need to answer the call in the woods.... But, we have no blaze law here. And it's rare to run into another deer hunter who is wearing it. Most folks are either in full-camo, or they're in plaid wool. Kinda boggles my mind, but I've never felt like the orange hurts my hunting and I'd prefer not to be shot, so I wear it.

You'd think that the state of New York, where we seem to delight in rules, would have the toughest blaze laws. You'd think that blaze facepaint would be required, along with blaze underwear in case you need to answer the call in the woods.... But, we have no blaze law here. And it's rare to run into another deer hunter who is wearing it. Most folks are either in full-camo, or they're in plaid wool. Kinda boggles my mind, but I've never felt like the orange hurts my hunting and I'd prefer not to be shot, so I wear it.

Yeah I brought it to Adak, AK, just so people in my group would be able to pick me out quicker on the hill side. I will even wear a blaze hat during archery season and turkey season a lot of times.
I do question whether the current rules in CO + their lack of enforcement really does any good.

Where there are and are not rules on the east coast cracks me up... they are either ridiculously specific( in MA you can't have slugs in your pocket at a trap shooting range, I mean no shit by really it's in the regs) but then just massive gaps (literally no mention about edible portions, wanton waste, etc in most of NE).

(literally no mention about edible portions, wanton waste, etc in most of NE)
history of this particular law just comes down to traditional use of the area. In the east, it isn't common to have to pack an animal back to your truck. often its a short drag or even just drive up to it. In the West, dragging or driving to a kill spot hardly ever happens. Therefore you can see over time why the law was needed to be added in the Western states and the Eastern states just haven't had the need to spend the time in legislation to actually put that law on the books.

history of this particular law just comes down to traditional use of the area. In the east, it isn't common to have to pack an animal back to your truck. often its a short drag or even just drive up to it. In the West, dragging or driving to a kill spot hardly ever happens. Therefore you can see over time why the law was needed to be added in the Western states and the Eastern states just haven't had the need to spend the time in legislation to actually put that law on the books.

Talked to a warden last week, you can kill a deer or bear, check it in, then toss it in a dumpster. What?
And given the fact that you can check them in online, you can technically shoot'em and let them lay.

To your point I think the reason that specific law doesn't exist is that almost everyone hunts for the right reasons and acts ethically so much so there has never been the need to make a law.

I'm not really arguing with you... just that there seems to be laws for everything, except some really obvious things.

Last edited:
Only problem with this study is it does not compare how many incidents or fatalities for people who didn't wear orange as compared to those who did.

My myself in Wyoming, only orange I wear is my boonie hat. Otherwise, I wear camo or jeans depending on what I am after.

FWIW- I lived in AZ for 5 years, a state that does not require the use of blaze orange during rifle hunts. Did I wear at least an orange hat anytime I was in the woods during a rifle hunt, hunting or not?? I sure did, and so did every other member of my family. Why??? It only takes on stupid person, and I can assure you, there is WAY more than one stupid person in the woods. Good luck in CO, that's one place I never managed to make it up to.

Yeah I brought it to Adak, AK, just so people in my group would be able to pick me out quicker on the hill side. I will even wear a blaze hat during archery season and turkey season a lot of times.
I do question whether the current rules in CO + their lack of enforcement really does any good.

Where there are and are not rules on the east coast cracks me up... they are either ridiculously specific( in MA you can't have slugs in your pocket at a trap shooting range, I mean no shit by really it's in the regs) but then just massive gaps (literally no mention about edible portions, wanton waste, etc in most of NE).
So true. And the urban/rural divides are so stark here that it's difficult to legislate anything having to do with hunting, even if it's a great idea that most people agree on.

Hunting the exact same. Unit 52.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the question you started this thread with is likely pointless. There are lots of hunters up there and few elk.

In all seriousness, the Grand Mesa is a good place to hunt, lots of land and yes there are a lot of hunters. If you have access to an ATV I would strongly suggest bringing it the trails are usually pretty accessible. We hit both 52 and 521 and will be in the big Davis wall tent with Texas and Iowa plates at it.

Only problem with this study is it does not compare how many incidents or fatalities for people who didn't wear orange as compared to those who did.

My myself in Wyoming, only orange I wear is my boonie hat. Otherwise, I wear camo or jeans depending on what I am after.

Yeah to be clear, I think wearing blaze orange is a great idea hell I made my dog a vest to wear, but that the law is ineffectual.

Blaze only helps if you are on the receiving end not on the trigger end, yet the law is only for trigger pullers. In CO you might have 50-60 people in a basin, 1 guy with blaze which is the guy with the gun.

IHEA claims in hunters safety that no one has been killed accidentally while hunting who was wearing blaze. The study isn't flawed, that data just isn't available, and likely it's 0 with blaze on. I think more the point is that there is no correlation between having a law on the books and less accidents.

If there's hunting going on in an area I want to hike around in I'm wearing some orange. At least a cap. Too many hikers and others have been inadvertently shot while out in the woods. Hell I almost killed a bear grass picker once. I was convinced he was a bear so I moved in closer. Got to 25yds slipped the 2nd safety off and he stood up to stretch his back. Rather surprising. Dressed all in black with a hoody over his noggin. I slowly walked behind him at about 10 yds. He never knew I was there. Lucky day for him.

I wear blaze orange when I am in a public access area. When I hunt on places I got permissions from a private landowner I generally wear just my hat. Wyoming only requires that one item of clothing be blaze orange. In public areas I wear a vest and cover the back of my pack with blaze orange. And I agree with you @wllm1313 laws on them are ineffective mostly because they are loosely enforced to not at all in some places. Protection is limited to the idiot pulling the trigger though, remember my post about when I was 18, I was head to toe with the blaze orange and got my hat shot off me.

😳 Did you return the favor?

Protection is limited to the idiot pulling the trigger though, remember my post about when I was 18, I was head to toe with the blaze orange and got my hat shot off me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the question you started this thread with is likely pointless. There are lots of hunters up there and few elk.

In all seriousness, the Grand Mesa is a good place to hunt, lots of land and yes there are a lot of hunters. If you have access to an ATV I would strongly suggest bringing it the trails are usually pretty accessible. We hit both 52 and 521 and will be in the big Davis wall tent with Texas and Iowa plates at it.
Haha thanks for the info. We are using an outfitter for a drop camp so I’m hoping we will be far enough in to lose most of the traffic.

I’ll be muzzleload hunting in CO this year. I’ll have a full blaze orange vest and was wondering if this hat is legal or if I need to buy a full blaze hat? Also my wife will be tagging along with me. She will also have a vest for sure but does she legally have to have the head covering too if not hunting? @Oak @wllm1313 C003BC97-A73E-4FE6-9106-3B289315ACE6.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand the idea behind requiring the wearing of orange when rifle hunting. BUT if it is for the hunter's safety, then why isn't it mandated that everyone afield during rifle season wear it? If you are carrying a rifle, you need to wear orange, but if you are carrying a camera as a member of the film crew (hunting shows), or the guide who will be blowing an Elk call (Bugle or Cow) shouldn't he wear it too? I would think the guide would be much more in danger of being mistaken for an Elk by blowing a bugle or cow call, than the hunter carrying a rifle. Not trying to argue or debate the point of orange being required, but if it is to ensure the safety of the hunter, shouldn't everyone have to wear it? Then that brings up the question of how to enforce it if someone is just out hiking or picking berries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back