Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Question about wearing orange in CO

Its been explained to me that once you're tag is filled, you are no longer legally hunting, and no longer need to wear orange. Hikers are in the forest during rifle season and don't need to wear orange, you're technically a hiker with a pack full of meat once you've punched a tag. Im not saying its the smart thing to do, but legally you're fine.

You can do so, just put it back on afterward. Where are you headed to and from? I am in Las Colinas (DFW) area. We are hunting 2nd rifle on the Grand Mesa.

I didn't know if this belonged in this Elk forum, Other Gear forum, or Stupid Question forum...

Going to CO for 2nd rifle this year. Assuming I find a blind, deaf, and nose-less bull willing to coming into handgun range and I'm lucky enough to put a tag on him, am I legally able to remove my orange vest/hat in order to snap a pic or two? It may be a remedial and maybe even stupid question, but remember...I'm from Texas so please type your response slowly.

In all seriousness, I could see an orange-less pic circulating and getting a nice piece of correspondence from the CO Possum Cop...
I am a Colorado native and moved to Cheyenne. What I can tell you is you have to have it on while you are hunting. You may want to call up the G&F regional office where you are hunting and ask them. The wardens out of that office are the ones who would ticket you. However, I think you will be fine taking photos without the orange. Once you put the guns away and no longer "hunting" you are not required to wear the orange.

I will also add as others mentioned you will want to wear orange to move around in the field. People need to see you and there are idiots out there that do "sound shots". If you are packing meat out, I would wear a lot of orange over your pack.

A little common sense folks! When I started we all wore buffalo plaid red. A few people got shot every year by over-excited newbys. Fewer seem to get shot now. Is it the orange or the fact that you have to identify the species, sex, and antler size (browtine on elk). Maybe all.

I remember when some dinks shot three leopard appaloosas with orange tack tied in a clearcut. It used to be that when you shot everyone walked away from there. In recent years I have experienced a sizable audience while gutting my elk. Nice to have company but concerning just the same.

In these times of gun happy virgin hunters I am prone to talking to my horse as I ride as a defensive action. If I had the company many of you experience I might be inclined to have extra orange to hang while processing as well as an extra for the pack while packing out. We have successfully conditioned everyone that it is fine to shoot as long as it isn't orange.

I have never worn camo and my success rates are far above most of yours. The color of your clothes doesn't have much to do with it. Let's be safe out there!

A little common sense folks! When I started we all wore buffalo plaid red. A few people got shot every year by over-excited newbys. Fewer seem to get shot now. Is it the orange or the fact that you have to identify the species, sex, and antler size (browtine on elk). Maybe all.

I remember when some dinks shot three leopard appaloosas with orange tack tied in a clearcut. It used to be that when you shot everyone walked away from there. In recent years I have experienced a sizable audience while gutting my elk. Nice to have company but concerning just the same.

In these times of gun happy virgin hunters I am prone to talking to my horse as I ride as a defensive action. If I had the company many of you experience I might be inclined to have extra orange to hang while processing as well as an extra for the pack while packing out. We have successfully conditioned everyone that it is fine to shoot as long as it isn't orange.

I have never worn camo and my success rates are far above most of yours. The color of your clothes doesn't have much to do with it. Let's be safe out there!
I hear ya. Lotta newbie hunters out there that shoot wildly. Always has been. When I was 18 I was hunting in GMU 22 in Colorado. I got a close call that ended up in a bullet hole in my hat. I was shaking when I walked back to camp and showed it to by dad. That followed by an incident in Idaho Springs at the cafe there were we were eating lunch on way home. At the time it was the only cafe in town. Some guy was bragging "I never saw anything but I sure got a lot of sound shots off." My dad stood and punched him and showed him the bullet hole in my hat and told him "You may of been the asshole that nearly killed my son".

I myself don't shoot until I am completely positive of my shot both in front of the target and behind.

Packing out antlers I think it is good to wear orange whether the law requires it or not.
on the flip side, I don’t give a lot of thought to orange laws otherwise. I sure wouldn’t turn somebody in or really care if someone wears orange or not.

there are states where orange is not required, and accidents aren't common. Ever hunt early coues season in 24b? Pretty damn busy in some areas, still never heard of anyone getting shot. Not saying not to wear orange, but its not a death sentence if you dont.

there are states where orange is not required, and accidents aren't common. Ever hunt early coues season in 24b? Pretty damn busy in some areas, still never heard of anyone getting shot. Not saying not to wear orange, but its not a death sentence if you dont.
There was a study, or at least a comparison, done on ID, MT, WY, and CO and all had about the same number of accidents despite very different requirements.

While it won’t pass the @JoseCuervo grip n’ grin standards, I usually look silly with mismatched clothes on when hunting anyways, so I don’t try and make for a better field photo. Too many crazies out there to shed the orange IMO

There was a study, or at least a comparison, done on ID, MT, WY, and CO and all had about the same number of accidents despite very different requirements.
Have a link to that study? I tend to believe you but would like to see it. When I had my blaze orange hat shot off my head, I was head to toe in blaze orange wearing insulated coveralls that were blaze orange.

I've only hunted in Colorado once, but I think I saw more people in violation of the orange laws in that week than I have the rest of my life in other states. Seemed like every other person was missing the hat, or missing the vest.

Have a link to that study? I tend to believe you but would like to see it. When I had my blaze orange hat shot off my head, I was head to toe in blaze orange wearing insulated coveralls that were blaze orange.

This isn't the one I was referring to but it popped up with a quick google.

1594396265142.png

Raise your hand if an idiot has peppered you with shot while pheasant hunting South Dakota.

giphy.gif

MN DNR has a historical hunting incident summary since 1947. The 60s and 70s were like the wild west. Kind of odd how low 1963 was compared other years and then it really dropped off after 1975. But it looks like the orange requirement was not put in place for MN until 1986 based on a quick google.

Meateater article from last year.

Back