Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Question about RMEF

trophy_killer

I have a question about the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. How come these guys get all of this great land in the heart of big bulls and the only ones that can hunt that area if anyone can, is people like the foundations chairmen, founders, presidents etc. There is a hunting show on The Outdoor Life Network and they have a show on it called Elk Country Journal. Every single time they show someone hunting on the great land they have they are one of the above listed or a life member. Why can't the average guy like you or me put in for an area that the RMEF has property in and hunt it?? You think with the money it costs for a membership you would be allowed to do some hunting on the land you donated money to!!

A Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation member alerted me to this site and question. I'm an employee of the Elk Foundation and I've been involved in the TV shows referenced here. Actually, the Elk Foundation doesn't own a lot of land. It has received a lot of land through donations and purchases, but most of it has been turned over to state or federal agencies where it is opened for public access. In fact, so far in 2002, more than 10,000 acres have been transferred this way, purchased from a private timber company and turned over the state of Montana and the U.S. Forest Service. Of course, once that happens, all elk hunters and other recreational users can go there. Some of the hunts featured on "Elk Country Journal" are filmed on public land. Other hunts are filmed on tribal lands and some on private ranches. We go where we're invited, and where we can make good TV shows. Interestingly, in the coming year, most of our hunts will probably be filmed on private lands. That's because it's simply more cost effective. You may be aware of federal fees that are now charged for commercial filming on public lands. Those fees are prohibitive and often mean we can produce less expensive episodes on private lands, where donors or outfitters provide us with free or cheap access. Incidentally, on lands that are owned by the Elk Foundation, such as the newly acquired Double H Ranch in New Mexico (see our Web site for more information, at www.elkfoundation.org), our board and staff are prohibited from hunting there. In years to come, all public will have chances to enter a Double H Ranch drawing or raffle for a chance to hunt a 400-class bull.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify some of the key points here.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-12-2002 18:20: Message edited by: Steve Wagner ]</font>

DANG TK you open your mouth and we get the RMEF here.You should ask questions like this more often

Thanks for the info Steve it was very enlightening.I hope you decide to stick around the site awhile,it is nice to have someone aound with your kind of knowledge.Thanks again.

hey Steve welcome. Have the boys at the top take a peek at an orginazation we have formed some at RMEF do know about it but not sure who help if you can please Thanks null

A ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK Employee from Montana, COULD a TIP-MONT have made a call to ya ?!?! ;)

Seriously though, ()elcome aboard. Glad to see you here.()e've had several discusions about GAME ranching and THE ELK Foundations stance on that. ()ould have been good to see you here for those !!!! :D :D

AN()AYS, ()elcome aboard, this is a good site, But That's cuz I o()n it ;) NO() I just need to get one of my KEYS on my Keyboard fixed :rolleyes:

I have to confess.....since the topic was about the RMEF....and I'm a member, I did invite them to join the discussion. It is easy for some folks to get the wrong opinions and as with every "special interest" group there is dissent about views and policies. The RMEF seems to support "Mixed Use" policies...that are good for everyone...hunters, conservationists, the wildlife and more. So..as we all need a voice...these folks are doing an admirable job even if one doesn't support every decision that is made. Like it or not, the hunters will have to team up with the conservationists if we want to control development and suburban sprawl...which is far more dangerous to our quarry as it threatens invaluable winter range.

Cheers
Roadtrip

Welcome aboard Steve, I hope you stick around. I think you'd enjoy it and have a good time. It's always good to hear from Officials like yourself, us members can say what we think but its always better to hear it from the guys in charge.. Thanks for dropping by. And yes I am a RMEF chapter committee member too..

Couldn't resist a "little gouge" here at RMEF. Just wondering if these "cost effective" films made on private land happened to be made on a GAME RANCH????????
Ol Bob BbarC Elk Ranch

Wagner, don't go away. I was having lunch with Denny last week and he said the deal with RMEF up Grant creek was just about final...He didn't try to talk ya into his complex on Reserve instead, did he? Congrats and hope your new building has windows on that hill side to watch the wintering elk there.

Thanks for the answers Steve. I appreciate someone giving me an honest answer and for clearing up some things with me!! A few of the things you have said are making me thinking of joining the RMEF now.

P.S. Do you other guys think I should get the Mule Deer Foundation coming here?? LOL

Roadtrip,glad you sent him this way.
I was reading the September-october issue of Bugle, good piece on road closures.
I thought this showed that someone is trying to do things right by involving the public and giving something back when access needs to be closed.

(Road Closures,public input key to managing colorado herd)
"The district compensates for closing roads by improving existing roads and facilities"

TK, way to go ,you really know how to get answers.

"Interestingly, in the coming year, most of our hunts will probably be filmed on private lands. That's because it's simply more cost effective."

Not to mention the success rates might just be a little better... ;) ;) :D

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Like it or not, the hunters will have to team up with the conservationists if we want to control development and suburban sprawl...which is far more dangerous to our quarry as it threatens invaluable winter range. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Man, did you hit the nail on the head. I've always said that this is the reason why more is not getting done to conserve animals and more importantly the habitat they need. Now, if the people that believed this were the majority rather than the minority...hmmmm the possibilities.

No matter how hard some try to take things to the extreme, the middle ground always seems the place we end up....Thanks for comming by Steve and don't make yourself a stranger..... :D :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back