Quality of the Hunt

danr55

I just read a comment in another thread that indicated that "it all depends on the quality of the hunt". This seems like a dichotomy. On one hand is the clear definition that each of us has that tells us what is a "quality hunt" and why. On the other hand, we all have that area open for interpretation or compromise that allows us to adjust our opinions depending on the conditions. So rather than try to define those things which add to the quality of the hunt, define those things that detract from the quality of the hunt and we can presume that things not listed are either neutral or postive. For me and for Glen as well, the first thing that comes to mind is hot weather. That is never acceptable. I'm talking hot, Arizona style. The next thing that comes to mind in bugs. We both got enough of those in Nam. The only other thing I can think of is People. Too many of them in our hunt area and we move. I hate moving camp. What else?
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

I believe I'd have to add bad area. Last year I read an article about a guy that killed a really big black bear in the town garbage dump. It was a big bear but in a garbage dump, Jeez Louise! I shot real nice white tail several years ago literally in my back yard. Rested the rifle on the bar b que pit. Nice deer but what the heck not really memorable.

------------------
A .45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERY TIME

Nothing spoils a quality hunt for me worse than to much hunting pressure, I don't care how many animals are in the area.

Boggy-Sounds memorable to me you remebered it didnt ya?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Zoo, i feel the same way. I hate it when there is too many people around. This is why we hunt wilderness areas. If ya do se somebody it is a joy to see somebody new
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I think memorable means alot of different things to different people. I have sent peoples deposits back, or canceled hunts because the person turned out to be a real butthead, just so it didnt ruin the whole hunt for everybody else. Hunting pressure from around me doesnt bother because I have learned where the elk and deer go when pressured, as long as it isnt right where I want to be myself or with my clients. I still wouldnt run the other way when I saw two monster bulls tho , I dont care who else saw them at the same time. Wouldnt ruin my hunt at all just because I wasnt the only one watching the bulls. bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

I'm with you zoo.I hate seeing a bunch of people while I am hunting.One of my buddys is also a guide here in N.H. He takes deer and turkey hunters and has a pretty good sucess rate.Where he hunts is loaded with hunters,you can hear kids playing outside and people working in their back yards.No thankyou !!!If all someone is concerned with is killing thats fine,but its not my cup of tea.

bcat so now you are an English teacher??
biggrin.gif

My bad, poor word choice on my part.
You know what I mean any way. Durn it go by what I mean not by what I say!!
biggrin.gif

BCR

I don't know about the rest of you, but the one thing I hate is being out there in the magnificent outdoors and stumbling over someone's garbage. It really ticks me off when other hunters/outdoors people can't be bothered to pick up after themselves.

Last year Greg and I were out wolve hunting for the day and came across a calf moose which had been killed, dragged to the road and had a pile of empties strewn around it. It was a very unused back road so I guess whoever did that just sat there and drank and waited for the wolves to come in and feed. How horrible - no ethics whatever. We just left. No use trying to hunt with people like that in the area.

Another day when we were whitetail hunting, we were just nicely set up when some joker drives in and just stands there, knowing full-well that we are there. Left again! Unfortunately I am not able to hunt in low pressure areas so we just make the best of things and leave if there are too many yahoos in the woods
redface.gif
( Fortunately we have found that for the most part, most hunters are considerate. There are always a few bad apples, though!

SHERRI

I choose to hunt on public grounds and as a result I choose to hunt where there is some pressure. I feel I know the area well enough to deal with that. I have hunted other areas where there were too many people and my hunt for the day was no what I would call a quality hunt. Every time I tried to get away from them, I ran into more. This continued for most of the day and I have not hunted there again. The trash mentioned above is probably the worse offense to my hunting experience, especially when I find discarded liquor bottles and beer cans. That is scary to think that someone is toting a loaded weapon while they may be loaded. Hunters should not get loaded, their weapon is already loaded. The other thing that burns my biscuit is the irresponsible use of the ATV.

------------------
Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting
www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk

[This message has been edited by Elkhunter (edited 03-07-2001).]

So far, I haven't really seen any surprises. It appears that everyone has pretty much the same pet peaves/peeves (?). I guess that's a good thing. Another thing that bothers me is to set up on a ridge to glass an area that's miles back in the bush and then to find someone out there, glassing back at me. I guess they like hunting around people even less than we do.

Anyone ever been hunting and been shot at? I imagine that would spoil your day. How about equipment failures? Weather changes?

I was talking with Glen yesterday, when he reminded me of the worst hunt we had ever been on. We waited 4 years to go back to a place down south and chase Couse deer. We had had Mule Deer tags in an area that was thick with Couse bucks. We finally drew a tag and got back to that spot. When we got up on the ridge that showed us the canyon we were looking for, there were two houses about 40 yards a part, right in the middle of the canyon. Swimming pools, driveways, flower gardens, the whole magilla. Made me furious.

What else?.....
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

There are 2 beefs that I have on any hunting trip that I can't deal with. First is someone who doesn't follow good firearm and hunting saftey practices. Second is someone who can't handle their liquor to the point that they are a nuisance or a hazard.
Don't get me wrong, an ice cold beer (or a few) in a frosted mug is great to chase a good double shot of Tequila or Wild Turkey down the chute with, But a hunting camp is the wrong place to get carried away in this.
CRAP!! Now I've went and made myself thirsty.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
WD

Too many people is a turn off, but in Wa,
you learn to live with it. I definetaly
try to set up camp in the most remote place
possible. On a permit hunt, its no problem,
but on a general hunt its a nightmere. The
other thing I dislike is hot weather. That
will mess it up for me everytime.
mad.gif

I hate when you are in the woods an you see trash that someone has thrown down. its like that candy bar wrapper is so heavy to carry out with you or see a pop can thrown down it just burns my tail. i just don't understand why someone would do this. this land is so beatifiul why trash it up for others.

bradman

HOT DAMN! An Irish Cowboy wee has here in our mist folks!
Now tell me Bcat, It's a warming to my bones to know Yee are are a gift from the little people indeed. I'll surely be thinkin of ya sitting down to me cornbeef and cabbage at supper time on that blessing of a day. Be making a toast to ya too, asking the likes of St. Patty himself mind ya, not ta be letting you near the Blarny Stone neh indeed, for you have to much of the gift of GAB already dear fellow. A glorious trait that only a true Irish Cowboy could ever master. May your quest for the pot of gold be true and your bottle of whiskey never run dry!

The closest bcat ever come to the Auld Sod was once when he ate an Irish potato.
smile.gif
smile.gif

BCR

------------------

Sure and BeGorra bcat, I stand corrected. I'll just goose a Leprachan and whistle Rising of The Moon just for you andy yours. Erin go Bragh
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

BCR

------------------

I'd have to say that one of the worst is the guy who uses his rifle scope to glass. I can't count all the times I've been glassing and spotted another hunter looking at me thru his scope. That is probably the worst.

------------------
Chopper
Wild Hog Adventures

Even though certain things tend to take away from our hunts, there are more things that add to the hunt. And as the saying goes, a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work.
Wait a minute, can this be true if you are an outfitter or a guide?
I always enjoy a day in the hills hunting even if things bring me down while there.

------------------
Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting
www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back