Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Quail Yellow Curry

backcountry_sassn

I was going to post this yesterday but forgot. A simple and very flavorful dish that can be made with any white meat (turkey, quail, chukar, chicken). I had some quail from this last season so it’s what I used. Chicken stock can be used if you don’t make your own game stock.

3 cups quail stock
10 quail breast cut in 1” pieces (just cut each side in half)
2 carrots cut in 1/2 slices
2 potatoes cut in 1” cubes
1/2 diced onion
Lemon grass
2 cloves garlic diced
3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
1-1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
3 tablespoons of sugar
14oz can of full cream coconut milk

Heat a pan on medium/high with oil. Add onions and cook till translucent. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add quail and coook till almost done. Add carrots and potatoes and cook 2-3 mins. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and simmer for 20 min. Taste at the end, if it needs more salt add fish sauce till it’s at the salty level you like (start small). You could add salt, but fish sauce adds to the flavors and is what is traditional used in place of salt in Thai food. Serve with rice and garnish with cilantro. If you like it spicy add Japanese Chile’s with the garlic at the beginning (I prefer it spicy)
5FBBDF1D-0A7F-40A9-A9D2-80D5B0E47A5F.jpeg

That looks delicious, curries are among my favorites for game meat and fish; so easy to make, simple to modify, and leftovers are dynamite. I prefer Jasmine rice, and have made curries with elk, pronghorn, deer, fish, and veggie only.

My choice for cuts are mostly front shoulder or shank, cooked low and slow

Back