Quail Season opening!

Calif. Hunter

I'm looking forward to this weekend and the chance to get out and bag some tasty little birds. I've checked the weather and it is supposed to be great - mid 70's during the day and lows in the 40's. I also hope to finish sighting in my muzzleloader. Maybe I'll decide to shoot a wild hog, just to try it out. (The problem is that the freezer is still full of hog and elk now.) It's a lot easier to fit a limit of quail in the freezer than a hog. ;) )

But it will be great to get out and hunt something. :D

Good luck! I haven't shot any quail yet. I've seen a few coveys but let them go because there were so many small ones. I'll start on the quail in about a month after they've had a chance to grow a little more.

I hope the opener is better than last year. I only got 6 birds opening day then. It's harder work without a dog. Also, one of my hot spots along a stream was infested with hogs last year. I'd never seen such brazen pigs. They were feasting on the acorns, and you could walk right up to them. They wouldn't even run off as I drove the truck past them on my way in. Normally, they are skittish as Hell. I could have killed those hogs last year with a .22 pistol and a headshot between the eyes. I hope they're not taking over that little valley again.

Call me crazy, but when I'm hunting quail, I want quail - not pork. Thanks for the good wishes!

It sounds good, good luck! I think I would take some buckshot in my pocket for a hog. I got one like that during spring turkey one year.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back