Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

puzzling pellet guns

Have had many air rifles over the years. Ended up with simple quality......Weihrauch HW-30s ss in 177.......accuracy and sufficient energy to eliminate squirrels and rabbits within 50 feet. What I found...the powerful Chinese and similar air rifles tended to not have quality parts/assembly and accuracy was quite variable. They are all fun....but if you are looking for a true piece of art and science with quality workmanship....and reasonable.....look at the HW-30s from Weihrauch.

I use them for squirrel and crow popping here in my yard.

My 1st was a cheap Gamo .177 that I got real lucky with, immediate quarter sized groups at around 25 yards with Crosman lead pellets.

My 2nd is a Benjamin Nitro-Piston .22. It has a lot more thump than the .177, but I'm having trouble with accuracy with that one. I think it's primarily the terrible trigger, which I have plans of remediating as soon as I get time.

Update on the Benjamin.. I cut down the trigger spring and got a pellet sampler pack, shooting better now.

I got pretty interested in air rifles a couple of months back. Ended up getting an Umarex Gauntlet. It is a PCP, not a springer. That thing is scary accurate. I can shoot really good groups out to 70 yards. I haven't tried targets beyond that. And it is really addicting. I did a few things to quiet it down. Definitely backyard friendly; just ask the pair of collared doves in my freezer.

Have had many air rifles over the years. Ended up with simple quality......Weihrauch HW-30s ss in 177.......accuracy and sufficient energy to eliminate squirrels and rabbits within 50 feet. What I found...the powerful Chinese and similar air rifles tended to not have quality parts/assembly and accuracy was quite variable. They are all fun....but if you are looking for a true piece of art and science with quality workmanship....and reasonable.....look at the HW-30s from Weihrauch.

I agree with quiet22. I have had a Beeman HW97K for several years and Santa Claus brought my daughter a Beeman R7 this past Christmas. Both are .177 and both are made by Weihrauch. The triggers are amazing. They are nice, accurate guns. If I am doing my part on a windless day, I can put 5 shots into a 1/2” at 50 yards with the HW97K (there is a trick to shooting a springer from a rest). I am sure the rifle is more accurate than that. I have killed a couple of groundhogs at about 35 yards with it.

Break in is important. Also look up "Artillery Hold". Spring air rifles can be finicky, in terms of how they are gripped. They are lots of fun, and as mentioned force your awareness about how you touch off the shot.

Air guns are a lot of fun. This one is a .177 Gamo and is very accurate. Also good to thin out the tasty bunny population wreaking havoc on my lawn in the fall.

1027171829-00.jpg

I used to have a Gamo, and the trigger was terrible. I purchased a replacement trigger from "Charliedatuna" online, installed it myself and the gun shot so much better due to the better trigger. Best investment ever for $30 (might be a little more now). Look into it if that trigger on your Gamo sucks like mine did. Also, look into Hawke air rifle scopes, they are awesome. Not a Swarovski by any means, but the price isn't either. Decent glass is important to see and hit your target, and it is designed for airguns, so it won't fall apart when you mount it on a springer airgun.
Beeman FTS (field, target specials) are the most accurate pellets I found for most of my air rifles. They hit hard, and are really accurate. I have found that the lighter pellets (usually gold colored) are an alloy, and are advertised to have more velocity, but I have read that the alloy causes excessive wear in the barrel as opposed to the lead pellets.

Last edited:
@Gr8bawana That's the one I got. Sighted it in with the match pellets. By shot #12 I screwed the scope adjustment caps back on . Let ML have some fun shooting it. She is intending to take out the Starlings that have designs on her garden. I impressed her by putting a Match pellet through the neck of a starling in the tree 20 yards away. ("that's how it's done Lil' Lady")

i sent her the Artillery hold article. Thanks..

84031073_10222432933840839_5583704110412070912_n.jpg

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malaskabound20032000@yaho
Back