Caribou Gear Tarp

Putting in reps?!

Ben_BlueOx

Hi All,

I am new to the hunting world, located in Northern Illinois. I want to use hunting as a way to be outdoors, explore and be more active. With this, I know there is a longer archery season so interested in pursuing it.

I live in a townhouse located in busier rural Area, so I don’t have lots of open land around me to practice. What do you do to get in reps? Are there any “rules/guidelines” about where and where to not set up to practice?

thanks.

I have a friend that shoots at the park while his son is at baseball practice. He's had the cops called on him a couple of times just because people will be people. But as long af your not shooting towards anything and you have a backstop should be fine. A lot of people shoot indoors too. Your best bet would be to find a local archery club or local pro shop to shoot at though.

I have a friend that shoots at the park while his son is at baseball practice. He's had the cops called on him a couple of times just because people will be people. But as long af your not shooting towards anything and you have a backstop should be fine. A lot of people shoot indoors too. Your best bet would be to find a local archery club or local pro shop to shoot at though.

If you were to practice at home, how much space do you think would be needed?

Like @JLS mentioned check your local ordinances, they may prohibit you from doing so within the township.

Check with your local archery shops about using their ranges, or any other local options like a public range. If you know anybody that lives outside of town you could ask to come set up a target at their place and bring them some beer as a thank you.

I think unless it has a dedicated archery area I wouldn't do any shooting at a park. Even if legal the amount of harassment from "Karen" and her labradoodle would be worth it and most likely end with a visit from the cops.

There has to be an archery range somewhere nearby in Illinois

I'm willing to bet there is a city-owned range in the vicinity. I live in an area where it's prohibited by the municipality, but there are several ranges in pretty close proximity. If push came to shove, I'd just shoot in my garage or something.

I don't know if you have 4-H in the area but they may be able to give you direction to a public range or a private one you could ask/pay to access.

If the range is a bit of a drive or expensive, consider combining range time with blank/blind baling at home. The latter gives you reps on form, release, draw sequence, etc. I do 50% of my total shooting blank bale, in my garage at 10-25 feet. The other half is in my backyard where I can shoot 55 yards

Hens Hogs Heifers Horses. American youth ag organization that has expanded to every imaginable DIY, artistry, and trade. Often the resource hub for a million different things in small rural communities. The 4H expo at the IA state fair showcases all kinds of youth projects and is a worthwhile see.

New archers tend to focus on aiming at the target. This usually evolves into over-aiming and target panic. Both of which will make it so you can’t hit anything over time. The remedy is to learn to shoot first, then add aiming as an afterthought. Aiming becomes instinctual, and subconscious. Plenty of YouTube videos showing how to practice blind bale and have it work to your advantage.

If you were to practice at home, how much space do you think would be needed?
When its too cold or windy I shoot in the garage. I get 6yds out of it. Up close is a good way to practice form and follow through, as well as building stamina. I shoot a minimum of 40 arrows a night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back