MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pudelpointers

cparke16

Hey Folks! Just put a deposit down for a pudelpointer puppy (finally gave in to the fiancé)

We get our puppy in November and will immediately start the training process as soon as the puppy is ready. At this point we don't know if we'll be getting a male or female. Any thoughts on one vs the other? We live in AZ and plan to get it going early on quail.

I can see a situation unfolding where it will be "her dog" but likely the dog will point for me as I will be the consistent authority figure in its life. We're excited to welcome this breed into our family! Appreciate any feedback or experiences with a pudelpointer.

Join the closest NAVHDA chapter and go to the training days. You will likely meet some other pudelpointer owners as they're one of the more popular breeds in NAVHDA.

Have your dog snake trained.And carry a good pair of
pliers and a heavy duty comb.(Cactus)...Big part of Quail hunting.
Good luck,Nov.-Feb. good time for Quail.
P.S. I've always had the best luck with females.Easier to train...And puppies too.Ha!,Ha! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - didn't think of the snake training!
Out fishing near Bear Canyon Lake and had 2 dogs run right over a Rattler,had no clue
it was even in he path.Best thing let the dogs continue on. :cool:

Ended up going with a breeder in Longmont, CO. Talked to kennels in Georgia and Idaho as well. Honestly, he was the only one who wanted to have a real conversation with me and I felt he was genuine so that made the decision easy for me.

I'm glad to hear you found someone that could answer your questions and was motivated to talk with you. I have had mixed results with that so far. One breeder I tried to get ahold of would never email or return my phone calls. Obviously this isn't the case with everyone, but the breed has definitely gotten popular so perhaps that explains it. I'm on a list for now, and we'll see if I get a call in the Spring...

Well I got the call, I'm getting a male Pudelpointer puppy in March. Very excited! I'm happy to hear a few other folks on this forum are hunting with them with good results.

If you get to work training that guy, you'll be very pleased. The drahthaars are about 1/4 pudelpointer on average and both of my dogs parent lines are PP. Don't know the kennel but would expect it to be a great hunter for you. Look forward to pics!

Good luck with the new pup!! I know all my dogs faults, and there's more than a few, are mine. I truly do like the breed and would be hard pressed to not have another someday.

Hey Guys, we have a deposit down for a PP, i'm starting to read Bob Farris's training book, only part i'm trying to figure out is the steadiness portion. Do you guys train your pointers to be steady until the flush or do you train them to be steady until after the shot/bird fall?

We have a lab currently and he flushes and chases the bird until it falls or he figures out i missed or its a hen. And from the hunting videos I've seen from Bob and others is that the dog points solid until the flush and then the dog is chasing until the bird falls or is called off

Ill mostly be doing Pheasant/grouse and some duck hunting with our new pup

Hey Guys, we have a deposit down for a PP, i'm starting to read Bob Farris's training book, only part i'm trying to figure out is the steadiness portion. Do you guys train your pointers to be steady until the flush or do you train them to be steady until after the shot/bird fall?

We have a lab currently and he flushes and chases the bird until it falls or he figures out i missed or its a hen. And from the hunting videos I've seen from Bob and others is that the dog points solid until the flush and then the dog is chasing until the bird falls or is called off

Ill mostly be doing Pheasant/grouse and some duck hunting with our new pup
I have a Pudelpointer that I grouse/woodcock hunt and am training steadiness in the blind for duck hunting. If you plan to take your PP through the NAVHDA testing system you will need to train for steadiness until released. I've done the NA test and plan to slowly work my way towards the Utility test which requires steadiness to release (flush, shot, fall). I spend much more time hunting wild birds and only require steady to flush. Most of the NAVHDA guys that have trained and passed the UT test will ease up on steadiness while hunting wild birds, whether that's steady to flush or shot is their preference. Have fun and let the pup be a pup.

Thanks WV; I won't be joining NAVHDA or attending any tests; just wild bird hunts
There is a lot of benefit to both the testing and the membership. You'll learn a lot about training from judges and other members, plus the testing really forces you to keep on a schedule instead of "doing it next month".

Back