Yeti GOBOX Collection

Public School Woes

Last time one of my kids had issues in school, I unleashed my wife on the principal. I don't know why but he's scared of her.

I went to private Highschool in a decent sized city. Problem kids didn't last and became public school's problems. Also, I don't consider myself smarter than most, but I know for a fact that I was exposed to a lot more than my peers in the public system. In comparison, my wife went to public in the same city and the whole place sounded like a f'n zoo.

Not crapping on public schools. There are some amazing people in the public system but they're limited to what they can do, which sometimes is not much... I'm fortunate to live in a small town with a small rural school system. I'm confident my kids will do well in the public system we have here, but if there is any doubt, they're taking the bus to the city and going private.

If your state has a safe school hotline, call it and voice a concern about your child's safety. The school will do an amazing amount of paperwork and they don't want to do that.

Attending a board meeting and speaking is a great idea.

You can also ask that your child changes their classroom.

Keep a journal about the interruptions and issues your kid faces.

Send a certified letter to the principal and superintendent about your concerns.

I was a school teacher for years. Frankly, it sucks and the misbehaving kid drags students and staff down.

Gotta vent here.

Boy in my daughters second grade class. Beginning of the year seemed more common, but he'd fly off the handle to the point the class gets evacuated. I have my first meeting with school admin. This carried on throughout the year, not always in the homeroom. So when the kids out of his element apparently. Couple weeks back, homeroom teacher is out. Kid gets pissed and shouts the "n" word. I've had enough. Talk to admin, turns out this is his 3rd school. The dad's earned himself a restraining order from one of the prior schools. Refuses to meet with the school to discuss his kid's issues. He's got a decent little rap sheet.

Write all the way to the top..."uhh yeah we're going to carry on as usual, we're seeing improvement." They've got a responsibility to give every kid an education. Didn't even run this by the district safety guy. Funny the district will get a restraining order to protect staff, but my daughter is SOL .... along with the rest of the kids in the class. If my daughter doesn't feel safe she's allowed to leave the classroom. Gee thanks.

Had to laugh at the cherry on top:

Dad's got a beard ... no mustache. Explains a lot.
It is public school.

The kid won't be going anywhere. It is unfortunate, but unless he gets expelled, which can only last up to a year, or goes to juvenile detention, which is rare for someone that young, he will be your kid's classmate.

My wife and I went to some of the worst public schools imaginable, in one of the poorest counties, in the poorest state in America. We both ended up being successful, because we had parents who gave a damn. It’s not a schooling problem, it’s a parenting problem.
You probably haven’t seen what they are teaching kids in some areas.

I’m 61 and about everyone I know age 30-80 when to a public school. Very few of their kids or grandchildren do. A few home school but private school mostly. Between the non-stop woke indoctrination and busing their kids out of their good neighborhoods they have had enough. Never had any children myself so I just hear the chatter.

I feel dang fortunate to have had the opportunity I had going to a good public school
in a small rural community. Back then both teachers , administrators and parents acted like they had some sense.

Back then both teachers , administrators and parents acted like they had some sense.
In Montana, they still do for the most part.
1. The "woke indoctrination" myth is perpetuated by those who likely have not had a serious conversation with a teacher or administator, nor have sat in or assisted in a classroom.
2. The home school programs for many are excellent and have produced graduates of high level academic achievement ... just as have public school programs.
3. IMO, it all depends on the parents and the students themselves. There are successes and failures through programs offered by home schools, private schools and public schools.

Montana has embraced the Indian Education For All public school curriculum which has proven to be a great learning program to provide accurate and factual historical context without judgement, but revealing the atrocities of both Native Americans and the "White-eyes". More importantly the culture, lifestyle, and survival of various tribes are highlighted. The real upside of the program is in providing the context for the present day problems and challenges, with the hope of supporting real solutions.

Likely someone with the prevalent ideology of Florida would characterize this as "woke indoctrination".

We are condensing from three high schools to two mega high schools. 400mil bond while losing nearly a thousand students per year while the smaller districts within 20 miles grow with transfers. The MO is, hire a new superintendent, let him/her settle in then float a bond that fails, try again until it passes by a slim vote, then the new super is immediately headhunted to a new district within a larger pond....rinse/repeat.

It's hard to compare public schools between states. Some states place more of a value on public education, and it shows. Other states have worked to actively undermine. Teacher salaries vary wildly. Then you get into the differences between communities within states, how schools are funded... To what degree do schools in wealthy communities get more funding vs. more egalitarian funding models...? It's a hard subject to talk about without recognizing the big picture.

Gotta vent here.

Boy in my daughters second grade class. Beginning of the year seemed more common, but he'd fly off the handle to the point the class gets evacuated. I have my first meeting with school admin. This carried on throughout the year, not always in the homeroom. So when the kids out of his element apparently. Couple weeks back, homeroom teacher is out. Kid gets pissed and shouts the "n" word. I've had enough. Talk to admin, turns out this is his 3rd school. The dad's earned himself a restraining order from one of the prior schools. Refuses to meet with the school to discuss his kid's issues. He's got a decent little rap sheet.

Write all the way to the top..."uhh yeah we're going to carry on as usual, we're seeing improvement." They've got a responsibility to give every kid an education. Didn't even run this by the district safety guy. Funny the district will get a restraining order to protect staff, but my daughter is SOL .... along with the rest of the kids in the class. If my daughter doesn't feel safe she's allowed to leave the classroom. Gee thanks.

Had to laugh at the cherry on top:

Dad's got a beard ... no mustache. Explains a lot.

I'm sorry you and your daughter have to deal with this, and I'm sure that boy has massive issues going on at home if he's that out of whack in 2nd Grade, I feel sad for your daughter and for him. Unfortunately the only thing you can really do to proactively protect your daughter (if you feel that's the answer) is switch her out of that class or school. It seems like the schools where things like that are ignored either have their hands tied by politics or fears of getting sued, or they've de-prioritized the learning environment so much in the name of inclusivity that they are incapable of managing a child like that boy. I'm fortunate that my kids are in a good public school, but to be in that good school we choose to drive them an extra 12 miles because the closest school in our district is not good. I hope you can find a good solution for your daughter, kids only get one trip through childhood and one education.

In Montana, they still do for the most part.
1. The "woke indoctrination" myth is perpetuated by those who likely have not had a serious conversation with a teacher or administator, nor have sat in or assisted in a classroom.
2. The home school programs for many are excellent and have produced graduates of high level academic achievement ... just as have public school programs.
3. IMO, it all depends on the parents and the students themselves. There are successes and failures through programs offered by home schools, private schools and public schools.

Montana has embraced the Indian Education For All public school curriculum which has proven to be a great learning program to provide accurate and factual historical context without judgement, but revealing the atrocities of both Native Americans and the "White-eyes". More importantly the culture, lifestyle, and survival of various tribes are highlighted. The real upside of the program is in providing the context for the present day problems and challenges, with the hope of supporting real solutions.

Likely someone with the prevalent ideology of Florida would characterize this as "woke indoctrination".
I doubt highly this would be classified as "woke idealogy"

Think you should look into the books that have been banned from schools and the actual idealogies being taught.

As a dad and now a granddad. We homeschooled our kids and now my beautiful wife homeschools our grandson. While his mom works a remote job. I can say this. Our kids grew up to be successful in their older lives. They are very family orientated. Just as we were. We did a lot together as a family. With homeschool our kids learned how to garden, hunt n fish. And process their own game. When our kids were growing up we raised meat rabbits and chickens, turkeys and a large garden so we could eat. And now our kids are doing the same for their kids.
And we still all have a very close relationship. Our kids are our neighbors. And we see our grandkids regularly. As papa, I get to teach them how to hunt, fish, garden, fix their vehicles, snogos, wheeler, building a house. All the real life skills that are nice to have. And they have granddad social skills.
Yeah it's a lot of work. And as parents, we gave up having 2 paychecks coming in. Family came first. Homeschooling isn't for everyone. You as parents have to put in the time to teach. Most programs come with support from their home district if needed. But just being able to teach the skills necessary to get by in life is the most important part.
I see so many young adults that have no clue how to fix a car truck. Or their home. And if this world turns to turds, I'm glad our kids know the basic skills in life to survive.
The public school system is in trouble. Large class size, violence, harassment. I can't blame the teachers that are trying. It's just a bad system. Most high schools don't even have a wood shop, welding, mechanics classes anymore.
Hey I can say I'm proud of my family and how we all work together to get by in life

2020 was the beginning of the end for us and public school. We've homeschooled our kids since then and the results have been fantastic (it helps that my wife has a degree in education and spent a few years in the classroom) - each of our children are testing at least two grade levels up in every subject. There are so many resources available to those who are willing to homeschool.

When I was younger, I thought very seriously about going down the education route - I always thought being an administrator at a high school would be a great gig. Now, I'm glad I didn't go that route. Those individuals who work tirelessly in the school system seem like such great people, it's all the behavior issues and scripted lesson plans which have ruined public schools.

Most high schools don't even have a wood shop, welding, mechanics classes anymore.
That's a shameful state of affairs for Alaska.
Enjoyed a tour through my alma mater Great Falls High School last fall. The welding/ machine shop has a c&c plasma cutter, many well used welding booths, even a 3D printer. The woodshop is similarly high tech with great tools and equipment. The "home ec" shop is a commercial kitchen! High school carpentry students benefit from hands-on training as they assist and learn in the construction of Habitat For Humanity homes in Great Falls. The welding instructor told me he has 150 students and a waiting list. A recent news article featured an eager young woman taking automotive class, with a 1977 Ford pickup and a 50's vintage truck in the background. My grandson is happily building a table in welding class here in Bozeman.

I would like to re-enroll in high school ... but can't decide if home ec, woodshop, or welding will be on the schedule ... 'maybe all as I have completed the core subjects :)

Blessed to live within 15 miles of five world class public schools, two world class private schools and a half-dozen or so decent parochial schools. School options were my wife and my #1, #2, and #3 priorities when deciding where to put down roots. If folks spent as much time scouting school districts as they do elk honey holes kids would be better off for the effort. Myself, my wife and my kids have had a mix of public, private and parochial amongst us - all have worked out well. While I respect the sincere intentions of home school parents I do believe it is the 4th best option for kids long term.

I remember before our last move quizzing out @rtraverdavis about school scores and such and what he told me makes a lot of sense. It boils down to the kid and the parents eagerness or willing to learn. A good school is important but your only going to get out what you put in. I remember in high school all the private school kids that went to the catholic high school were without a doubt the biggest bunch of coke heads I've ever met. More feel good bs.

My wife and I made an intentional decision to live where we do for this reason above all others.

Although if I was going through some of what others on this thread are, I would absolutely seek an alternative- either via moving, private or even homeschooling. Whatever it took to improve the situation, because nothing is more important.
Same here. Which district? When I get some time to type I’m going to have a hold my beer type response on this thread . . .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back