Public Lands Ranchers want Utah tags?

Nemont

I don't understand this logic at all.

Senator backs grazing groups being eligible for hunting tags
By Dawn House
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 07/29/2008 10:18:14 PM MDT

BICKNELL - Ranchers losing grazing rights on public lands should become eligible for hunting tags that they can sell on the open market, a state senator said Tuesday.
Sen. Dennis Stowell, R-Parowan, told 100 ranchers at the Utah Cattlemen's Association conference that sporting groups and private landowners are awarded hunting permits, while public lands ranchers "have been left out of the loop." Hunting tags given out by the Division of Wildlife Resources and sold to the public through auctions can fetch tens of thousands of dollars. For now, though, the only organizations allowed to auction the permits are nonprofits who use money from the tags on projects that help wildlife.
Stowell said hunting tags also could be given to grazing groups when livestock allotments are cut back. The money in turn, would be used to improve the rangelands so that cattle can again graze. And when the number of livestock returns to prior grazing levels, the hunting tags would be withheld.
Private landowners can sell a certain number of big-game hunting permits through the state's Cooperative Wildlife Management Unit program, based on habitat conditions and herd populations.
Landowners in turn, must provide 10 percent of overall permits to the public. And some of those permits, such as elk tags, can go for as much as $12,000. By contrast, public elk permits cost $280 and are awarded through a public drawing.
Stowell said changes in the program could be accomplished through legislation or by administrative rule.
Craig McLaughlin, wild- life section chief for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, declined direct comment on the new proposal but said an existing cooperative wildlife management permit program is designed to allow landowners to receive value for wildlife that uses private lands.
"Public lands belong to the public," he said. "They are not private. There's quite a difference there in terms. [The proposal] would be auctioning off or selling a public resource. That would be a concern."
Stowell cautioned ranchers to cooperate with sporting groups "because if you go up against them, you'll lose every time."
Cattlemen's Association President Gary Hallows said he supports the idea of grazing groups becoming eligible for hunting tags, as long as the permits go to livestock owners.
"It just might work," he said. "But there would have to be a clear formula on exactly who would get the additional tags."

You have got to be frickin' kidding me.

So let me get this straight. Ranchers are grazing on PUBLIC lands, and now they want landowner tags for their PUBLIC land?? In that case, I want a landowner tag for all of MY public land, too.

I really don't have a problem with public lands grazing but this is ridiculous. They lease the land, leases can be changed when necesary. I don't believe there is a "compensation clause" in the grazing leases.

I just don't understand the logic that they are owed tags to sell based upon a lease of public lands? If anyone can explain any logic in their arguement please come forward. I have a difficult enough time with private land owners selling tags but wouldn't this basically be an incentive to overgraze?

Nemont

... wouldn't this basically be an incentive to overgraze?

Nemont

That was my first thought when I read it. The only "logic" I see in their proposal is that they think they are owed a living off of the public resource, one way or another. Not much logic there to me, but maybe somebody can explain it to me.

I'm with you guppie.

Sorry to say, but they will probably end up passing it. The only way to prevail is if the hunting community can pour enough $$$ in to counter the cattle lobby. Which side will the outfitters fall on? I am betting they will want to attach requirements for guides.

As Buzz has so lovingly said in the past....welfare ranchers.

Well if public land ranchers want to sell tags to hunt cattle, domestic goats and sheep, I don’t see any problem.
WTF ?
It is beyond me why prostitution isn’t legal in Utah. They whore out their wildlife for profit.

Stowell said hunting tags also could be given to grazing groups when livestock allotments are cut back. The money in turn, would be used to improve the rangelands so that cattle can again graze. And when the number of livestock returns to prior grazing levels, the hunting tags would be withheld
I think Dawn has gotten a touch confused as to what this was supposed to say. 'Cut back' should be rested due to treatments or implementation of more intensive management.

I've heard this pitch a few times now. The argument I've heard is that if an allotment or a group of allotments agree to more intensive/better management and do some good things to improve wildlife habitat, the folks who benefit from that should help foot the bill. On large issue is that most every funding source, UT DWR included, will jump on a big project for initial implementation, but not for maintenance of infastructure, vegetation treatments, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. If they passes, you can say good-bye to a good chunk OTC hunting areas. When the question is brought up on the number of area's are already closed off to the regular Joe due to limited entry or CWMU's the patent response is that they'll be able to hunt does...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back