Public Land Turkey Strategies

TN VOL

Hey guys..I have a question in regards to hunting turkey on public land. Took my sons hunting this morning and called in 5 Jake’s..they came in from a different direction than we anticipated and my son couldn’t get his gun around to shoot..the birds soon got spooked and left. How long would you wait until you tried that same spot again? Should I give it a few days or could I go the very next morning to try again? I want to go in the morning but I don’t want to spook or pressure them out the area.
Thanks!

I would say you could give it a try in the morning especially since the jakes are pretty young and dumb! If its a good spot, then the turkeys should be near. You never know what could happen.

I’d target them again right away and tweak the set up slightly. Jakes don’t seem to learn as fast. Good luck.

One of the coolest hunts I ever had was after splitting up a flock of jakes by mistake. I blundered into them while in a hurry to get to a good spot and turkeys scattered everywhere. I treated it like a fall hunt. The next morning I was back where they split to call. A pretty crazy bunch of commotion ensued while they sorted things out. Ended up with a nice fat jake.

Go get them. If they are there and talking, you talk. If not go easy on that call and you might get them stirred up.

It was awesome! I’ve never called that may gobblers at one time in that close..the sickening part was they were only about 20 yards away..and I couldn’t get my son turned around to shoot..they were all bunched up..1 shot would’ve perhaps killed 2 of them. I just didn’t wanna spook them out of there..thanks for everyone’s advice!

Wow, what a fun hunt yesterday. Turkeys have small brains. They have excellent instinct, but are not the best learners. Not much benefit for letting days pass vs. trying them again tomorrow. Maybe luck will tilt your direction and you'll be posting a pic of a successful hunt.

Jakes seems to really like decoys from my experience, have had them in my decoys for over 20 minutes several times. If you have a hen and feel safe using it on public, might be worth a try. It would help get the birds where you want them for your son.

I’ve called in the same jakes multiple times in the same day.

I say get right back out there. Ya never know, you might call in a mature bird.

Jakes are generally just like middle school boys. The more of them in a group, the bolder and more impetuous they act. I think it's easier to get 6 jakes to come in than one or two as they egg each other on into making poor decisions.

Put out a decoy or two, get their attention if needed with calling, and have your boy get his gun up and be ready. If they are coming, no need call again. Just let squirrelly testosterone fueled brains dare each other to be first to get to the hens.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back