Public land plinking near Bozeman

I see the state land out by the landfill is getting steady use by shooters. Alot of kids with expendable money. Just because the landfill is one click away doesn't mean OUR state land should be treated like a dump. Lazy f-cks that can haul it in but not stoop over to clean up.
Grates me.
My son and I regularly used that state land near the Logan Landfill for shooting practice and we were appalled by the target and other garbage left there, then it was closed down for several years due to those trashing it. I predict the state will have to close it again.

Teach your kids that if you don't clean up after the pigs, you end up living in a pig pen. Take a box or bag with you to put garbage in. Instead of bitching about garbage on the web, erase it. It is part of the public land deal. It has been going on forever.
THIS! My father always told me if you pick it up, it becomes your garbage- and if you put it back down you’re now the litterbug. He also told me if everyone picked up more stuff than they brought with them- the world will be a cleaner place.. Something I’m constantly drilling in my kids’ heads now.

We went up for a drive to look for huckleberries at one of Bozemans most prominent PL shooting areas. My son couldn’t just leave The area with the way it was looking. He ended up with two bags this size, and some pieces of (I think) a microwave.. proud Dad!
CLEAN UP YOUR CHIT PEOPLE

Attachments

• 73F3601F-80FF-4497-BA5E-FBED240A258A.jpeg
    73F3601F-80FF-4497-BA5E-FBED240A258A.jpeg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 21
THIS! My father always told me if you pick it up, it becomes your garbage- and if you put it back down you’re now the litterbug. He also told me if everyone picked up more stuff than they brought with them- the world will be a cleaner place.. Something I’m constantly drilling in my kids’ heads now.

We went up for a drive to look for huckleberries at one of Bozemans most prominent PL shooting areas. My son couldn’t just leave The area with the way it was looking. He ended up with two bags this size, and some pieces of (I think) a microwave.. proud Dad!
CLEAN UP YOUR CHIT PEOPLE
When my granddaughter started kindergarten at then brand new Meadowlark School in Bozeman, the teacher expressed appreciation for the first thing accomplished by granddaughter as the tykes went outside for recess play. My granddaughter first looked around, picked up any litter on the playground, deposited in the trash receptacle, then joined in on the recess play. This ol' grandpa could not have been more proud at hearing the complimentary report.

Back in May, the Montana BHA chapter volunteers hauled out well over a ton of garbage from the aforementioned state land.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like it remained clean for very long. This notice has been posted at some Bozeman sporting goods stores:

Attachments

• C5952FF2-3EA2-4613-9DC3-1BBE2F2B3260.jpeg
    C5952FF2-3EA2-4613-9DC3-1BBE2F2B3260.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back in May, the Montana BHA chapter volunteers hauled out well over a ton of garbage from the aforementioned state land.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like it remained clean for very long. This notice has been posted at some Bozeman sporting goods stores:
That's a bummer. At one time BHA and the state were considering making that the "unofficial" free shooting place. BHA has been trying to find a good local free shooting area for many years, but it's harder than you might expect.

Hyalite is the only place officially closed, and I used to go shooting up there. Unfortunately, like SA said, it has just gotten too crazy with people shooting, so go to a range. There's one in Livingston if you don't want to join the NRA like the Logan one requires. Way too many public land shooters are idiots, shooting across trails or close to them, and the woods are getting full with recreationists. My wife had several disturbing encounters with them up Hyalite before they closed it to recreational shooting, and she's very comfortable with responsible gun use.

I picked up about 200 empties while camping a few weeks ago. Worst part was they were shooting beer cans that they stuck on limbs of a fallen tree. No backstop except for a couple trees and the next mountain .25 mile away. People are dumb.

That's a bummer. At one time BHA and the state were considering making that the "unofficial" free shooting place. BHA has been trying to find a good local free shooting area for many years, but it's harder than you might expect.

Hyalite is the only place officially closed, and I used to go shooting up there. Unfortunately, like SA said, it has just gotten too crazy with people shooting, so go to a range. There's one in Livingston if you don't want to join the NRA like the Logan one requires. Way too many public land shooters are idiots, shooting across trails or close to them, and the woods are getting full with recreationists. My wife had several disturbing encounters with them up Hyalite before they closed it to recreational shooting, and she's very comfortable with responsible gun use.
When I was a kid my old man would take me up there to shoot also! I was confused when they closed it initially like, I was sure I used to be aloud?! Lol he ended up telling me a story recently about a time he and my stepmom went up to camp without the kids and had to belly crawl up to the parents of two kids shooting their .22’s Willy nilly, whizzing past my parents’ heads. He about had a physical confrontation with the folks.. lol glad they closed that one and I wouldn’t be disappointed if they closed little bear also. I don’t understand people leaving their clays and crap.. kinda like bagging dog shit to leave the plastic sack laying on the trail….

🤯🤯🤯

Has this place closed or is it still hanging on? Need to sight in a rifle. Bummer to see this after the big clean up day in may

Last summer I was at the state section shooting range on Axtell-Anceney Road and saw a couple local kids picking up litter and expended ammo shells and casings with their dad. He had put up a nice metal gate for access. I visited with them and thanked them for their community service.

Last week I spent some time there and tuned up my 7 RM and 7mm-08. There was a state warning sign that cautioned about litter and shooting range debris. There was alot of target debris, shells, casings, non-biodegradable pieces of bright orange clay pigeons, and other garbage.

Last evening I drove through there on my way home from hunting and saw several pickups parked there. There was one group with a clay pigeon thrower and shotguns, having a messy party scattering pigeon and other target parts and pieces.
Another group was shooting pumpkins and other garbage with some sort of large barreled AR which sounded almost full-auto. Luckily I recalled my wife's cautionary advice about scolding other persons who are armed. Although I had my 7mm-08, with which I had shot an antelope that was in the cooler on ice, I just drove on by ... shaking my head in disappointment and disapproval.

Sure enough, this morning's news included the notice of closure of that state land section for shooting. The link above is to that news article.
Now a public land shooting area within fifteen minutes of my place is closed due to yet another period of rampant disrespectful abuse of public lands. :mad:
Once again ... gun owners shooting themselves in the foot ... losing their "rights"! The dirty bastaads!

Last summer I was at the state section shooting range on Axtell-Anceney Road and saw a couple local kids picking up litter and expended ammo shells and casings with their dad. He had put up a nice metal gate for access. I visited with them and thanked them for their community service.

Last week I spent some time there and tuned up my 7 RM and 7mm-08. There was a state warning sign that cautioned about litter and shooting range debris. There was alot of target debris, shells, casings, non-biodegradable pieces of bright orange clay pigeons, and other garbage.

Last evening I drove through there on my way home from hunting and saw several pickups parked there. There was one group with a clay pigeon thrower and shotguns, having a messy party scattering pigeon and other target parts and pieces.
Another group was shooting pumpkins and other garbage with some sort of large barreled AR which sounded almost full-auto. Luckily I recalled my wife's cautionary advice about scolding other persons who are armed. Although I had my 7mm-08, with which I had shot an antelope that was in the cooler on ice, I just drove on by ... shaking my head in disappointment and disapproval.

Sure enough, this morning's news included the notice of closure of that state land section for shooting. The link above is to that news article.
Now a public land shooting area within fifteen minutes of my place is closed due to yet another period of rampant disrespectful abuse of public lands. :mad:
Once again ... gun owners shooting themselves in the foot ... losing their "rights"! The dirty bastaads!
Couldn't have said it better. Pretty soon, all State Lands will have similar shooting restrictions, due to a few idiots.

More news on the Logan state land section unfortunately…

https://www.kbzk.com/news/crime-cou...-assaulting-older-man-on-state-land?_amp=true

No way of knowing exactly what went down between the two individuals, but the article did say the assailant was riding an ATV and setting up targets on this section…which is clearly signed and designated as non-motorized.

Absolutely awful 😔
These things just aren’t right🥹! Man! Such a sad story for everyone involved. Where did we loose the basics of human dignity and compassion⁉️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back