MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Public land plinking near Bozeman

billy302

Hey everybody I'm from Wisconsin just moved into the Belgrade area. I am looking for some public land nearby to take my young boys out plinking being responsible picking up all trash of course. I have a couple questions about public land shooting out here.
1. If I shoot on national Forest land do I need a permit? I saw there is a $10 state land access permit to shoot at the range near Big sky which I cannot find anywhere on a map. I guess it's near Logan exit off of 90 if anyone knows where that is please let me know.
2. I have seen people post that good public shooting areas on national Forest include Little Bear, squaw Creek, moose Creek. Can I drive a truck in any of those locations and safely shoot? Also does anyone know how to pinpoint those locations?

Thanks for helping out a Montana noob!

Bill

Hey everybody I'm from Wisconsin just moved into the Belgrade area. I am looking for some public land nearby to take my young boys out plinking being responsible picking up all trash of course. I have a couple questions about public land shooting out here.
1. If I shoot on national Forest land do I need a permit? I saw there is a $10 state land access permit to shoot at the range near Big sky which I cannot find anywhere on a map. I guess it's near Logan exit off of 90 if anyone knows where that is please let me know.
2. I have seen people post that good public shooting areas on national Forest include Little Bear, squaw Creek, moose Creek. Can I drive a truck in any of those locations and safely shoot? Also does anyone know how to pinpoint those locations?

Bill
Lol, classic!

Sorry, had to lol

Bill
1. You do not need a permit to shoot on US Forest Service land, but please don't. Nothing irks me more than large volumes of gunfire when I am hiking, fishing, bowhunting, or rifle hunting on public forest. There is a very small short range off HWY 191 in Gallatin Canyon several miles south of Big Sky, close to highway on west side. I think it's a busy place, esp this time of year. Logan is nowhere near Big Sky. But there is an organized, membership-required excellent gun range near Logan. There is also a State Land section near Logan. Take Logan exit south of I-90, go past road to Logan Landfill, on the left you will see State Section signs and information advising you to clean up your brass and anything else after shooting. It's easy to find.

2. Please don't drive up Little Bear, Squaw Creek, Moose Creek or any of the other popular hunting and hiking areas to fire large volumes of gunfire. There are appropriate shooting spots, organized ranges, and other places where you can introduce your boys to safe and responsible firearms usage without pizzing off a bunch of outdoor recreationists who then become anti-gun and anti-hunting advocates.

"Just looking to get my sons out for 30 min to get them excited about the sport." Thirty minutes is way too short for good safety instruction, fun and proficiency building practice, and the physical setting, checking, and retrieval of targets. Dedicate at least an afternoon and then spend some time checking out the nearby areas.

Welcome to Montana.

1. You do not need a permit to shoot on US Forest Service land, but please don't. Nothing irks me more than large volumes of gunfire when I am hiking, fishing, bowhunting, or rifle hunting on public forest. There is a very small short range off HWY 191 in Gallatin Canyon several miles south of Big Sky, close to highway on west side. I think it's a busy place, esp this time of year. Logan is nowhere near Big Sky. But there is an organized, membership-required excellent gun range near Logan. There is also a State Land section near Logan. Take Logan exit south of I-90, go past road to Logan Landfill, on the left you will see State Section signs and information advising you to clean up your brass and anything else after shooting. It's easy to find.

2. Please don't drive up Little Bear, Squaw Creek, Moose Creek or any of the other popular hunting and hiking areas to fire large volumes of gunfire. There are appropriate shooting spots, organized ranges, and other places where you can introduce your boys to safe and responsible firearms usage without pizzing off a bunch of outdoor recreationists who then become anti-gun and anti-hunting advocates.

"Just looking to get my sons out for 30 min to get them excited about the sport." Thirty minutes is way too short for good safety instruction, fun and proficiency building practice, and the physical setting, checking, and retrieval of targets. Dedicate at least an afternoon and then spend some time checking out the nearby areas.

Welcome to Montana.
Perfect. I share your sentiment. It's why I asked. Appreciate the help SA.

I grew up in a different Wisconsin. We all grew up in a different USA. Not going to raise my boys to not be able to fire a weapon against all enemies, foreign or domestic. I'll do it responsibility, as to not piss off many libs.

Just giving you a hard time @Straight Arrow nailed it. Informal shooting has been a major issue close to Bozeman in the areas you mentioned. Even if there were some other places, having a ‘google-able’ thread that directs people there wouldn’t be good for anyone in our community.
Copy that, appreciate the response.

Do you have onx? Anywhere that's blm or forest service is yours to use. Find a spot with a good back stop and get the boys shooting. It's just as much yours to use to shoot a gun as those that wish to hike or drive dirt bikes and so on. Have an awesome time! P.S. I wouldn't waste a nickel to go to a gun range.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back