Public Land on Wyoming Unit 27?

TBaker

Hey guys, my buddy and I struck out when applying for non-resident antelope tags for two years in a row now. We have never been antelope hunting, and would call ANY buck a trophy for us. This has been a "return home from Iraq" trip for two years and it keeps getting pushed back. We are thinking about taking a long weekend and just going for it, but I am looking for guidance first.

I notice a lot of leftover tags for unit 17, and a large number of antelope killed there. Can anyone tell me if that's a good unit to go to and "wing it?" We are more than happy to get out and walk, stalk, or do whatever we need to do.

Would anyone recommend another unit in eastern WY to go to? We will be traveling from Missouri, and would like to stay on the eastern side if at all possible.

Once again we aren't looking for trophies, just bucks. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Todd

For numbers of antelope, you will be hard pressed to find a place with more than eastern Wyoming. Due to so much private land, the public land can get a little crowded.

Good luck. Thanks for your service.

antelope are possibly one of the easiest critters to glass up. If they are there, you will find them. If your unit has public land and high animal numbers, you will be good to go. MAy or may not have to hunker down on the edge of pvt waiting till they cross back over, but they will be on public with some regularlity.

Just check out the percent public land for unit 17. If very low consider another unit with more public. At a glance it looks to have decent patches of accessible public land but certainly a lot of pvt.

Alot of walk in areas and HMA's to look at in other left over units.Your in for a fun time.Hunting antelope is one of my favorites.I think you'll do well in any eastern unit you choose.Look over the Wy. fish and game website for the walk in and hma areas then take your pick of unit with some.Good luck to you guys

Unit 17 is about as bad an area for public access as you could pick! All the units up in the area between Gillette and Buffalo going north to the Montana line, as well as 23 to the southwest, have very little public ground that is legally accessible. I would say your best bet if you really want to hunt bucks this year is to gain access to one or more ranches in any unit within about a 50 mile circle around Gillette for the LAST half of the season and THEN buy the tag. Most of the places are usually locked up by now for opening week..

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think we will try Unit 26

It's a toss up between 26 and 31. It looks like 31 has a higher percentage of public land, but 26 is so much larger and has to have more opportunities.

Thanks everyone

Todd

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back