Public land nemesis

I just saw this, and dang Hilljack, congratulations on the great buck. I hope Chief makes it through this winter, and that next year is your year.

Take a look at the dates and times he was on camera in the day light check moon phases for the days if he is in daylight for that phase this year I’d find a good spot near where he showed himself in daylight the previous year and hunt that area hard during the same moon phases next year. Hope you get lucky he’s a stud for sure definitely worth passing other deer to try and get him.

Both sides have been found. I have seen one side in person. The other was found by a girl waterfowl hunting. She goes to school in Utah tho. Im hoping to see both sides one of these weekends coming up when she comes to visit family. If that happens I'll take some pics and post them. For the scoring aficionados out there were looking at 220ish with an 18 inch spread. He is quite impressive.

So did you end up getting both finders together or did you buy the sheds or how did they end up together?

Bought a new house a couple years back about 13 miles from my old house and 25 miles from my favorite whitetail hunting area. New house however is in the same unit as where I usually hunt whitetails. So I found some public land near the new house and immediatly hung some cameras in some areas to see if it had any potential. In November of that first year a deer I eventually named Chief showed up on a camera that was in the same spot taking pics for 7 months. I knew he was a special buck and devoted my time to find out if he was a local deer or was just cruising for doe. The rest of that season and year I never seen him again. When season ended I took to Google Earth and every trail cam I had and laid out a plan for placing them. In January he showed up on one of my cams not far from my first pic of him and then I knew he was a local. He survived the 2018 season despite my 300 plus treestand hours hunting him seeing him just twice both times out of range while passing up a few really good bucks. (Which still bites me) but I set out on a mission for Chief or nothing. Chief is a river bottom island dweller that seems to never not have the wind in his favor. Being fairly new to the river bottom whitetail lands any and all tips are extremely welcome. Pics attached are from his 2017 and 2018 years. Found one shed from 2017 rack. He has not shed yet this year as of yesterday.
View attachment 93390View attachment 93391View attachment 93392View attachment 93393View attachment 93394View attachment 93395View attachment 93396View attachment 93397
awesome hunt great post

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back