Public Land Double

Poke 'Em

It was cold and windy this morning. It was 40° when I left the house, and dropped down to 32 after the sun came up. I started off a on piece of state land, but the birds were on the private next door. They were coming my way until some guy drove his truck down to the creek bottom between me and them. Since that place was blown, I packed up and headed down the road to check out another place.

As I pulled up, I noticed a group of several turkeys with at least two toms headed across the open toward a creek bottom. I pulled a 180 and got ahead of them. I parked in a draw and huffed it down to the creek. I snuck around into some cover, and the birds were only about 75 yards away at that point.

I made a few yelps, got a couple of gobbles in response, and a minute or two later a mature tom with 2-3 jakes stuck his head around a thicket. I dropped the tom in his tracks. As soon as I shot, another tom ran out from behind the thicket. Fortunately for me, turkeys aren't smart enough to realize that if you shoot their buddy, they probably shouldn't stick around to see what happened.

26326677186_347376af8a_b.jpg

9 1/4" beard on one, and 8 1/2" on the other.

Sweet double! Wish we could do that here in Ohio, but only one bird a day (season limit is 2).
Congrats!

Awesome job! My dad and I have doubled up on two occasions here. It should have been three times but I jumped the gun on him once :eek:

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back