Public land and OHVs

brushcreek

I am heading out to Unit 66 Colorado 3rd rifle season, there are 3 of us in my party. My question is would it be worth it to take 4 wheelers / side by sides? I know you have to have permit for each one but are they allowed on public land at all? Does it vary by public land type? I believe I've read where wilderness areas do not allow them. Any info would be appreciated.

Personally I would leave them at home, but I prefer to backpack hunt and so they don't really make a lot of sense in that context. One thing to keep in mind is in CO your rifle must be completely unloaded and cased while on a 4 wheeler scabbards don't count if they are open on one end. You can have your rifle uncased with rounds in the magazine but not in the chamber in a truck.

Take em' with,leave them in camp.Just in case..big one down,beer run etc.(emergency situations):cool:

If you’re day hunting they can be useful for driving on the road to get to where you’ll park if the roads are bad. Many forest roads are God awful bumpy and slow

There are lots of roads in 66 where you can drive OHVs...it's a big sport there in the summer. Some roads get a bit rough but you can drive a truck on almost all of them. In fact I've seen many a rental car on some of those rough ones, most make it.....

I used to rifle hunt in 66 before it was a draw unit and until 2007 when I first started elk hunting and it really depends on where you plan to hunt. If it’s dry you will probably most likely be hunting up high in the roadless areas, and if it dumps a big snow I think a truck with chains you could access some lower areas around Alpine plateau or along the canyons leading into Blue Mesa. It’s a unit I think you can find elk without hauling in a utv. Either a 4wd truck or a horse is the best option. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back