Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Public input time for CO wolf management plan

Oak

Expert
The Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) will hold public forums in six locations around Colorado in March as part of its development of a wolf management plan for the state.

“Wolves are a controversial species and we want everyone to have the opportunity to express their opinions about wolf management in Colorado,” said Gary Skiba, multi-species coordinator for the DOW’s species conservation section.

Colorado is part of the gray wolf’s native range, but wolves were eradicated from the state in the mid-1930s. Researchers say dispersing wolves—especially single male wolves—can travel long distances and may eventually migrate to Colorado from Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico or Arizona, where they have been reintroduced.

The public forums make up the first phase of the DOW’s year-long effort to develop a wolf management plan. After the public meetings are completed, a multi-disciplinary work group will begin work on developing the plan.

The meeting schedules and dates include:

Fort Collins—Tuesday, March 2, 7-9 p.m., Fort Collins Marriott,
350 E. Horsetooth Road.

Durango—Thursday, March 4, 7-9 p.m., Fort Lewis College,
Chemistry Building, Room 130.

Grand Junction—Thursday, March 18, 7-9 p.m., Adams Mark Hotel,
743 Horizon Drive.

Craig—Friday, March 19, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Shadow Mountain Clubhouse,
1055 County Road 7.

Pueblo—Monday, March 22, 7-9 p.m., Pueblo Convention Center (tentative),
320 Central Main St.

Denver—Thursday, March 25, 7-9 p.m., Best Western Central,
200 W. 48th Ave.

For more information, see the Gray Wolf Guidelines Web page here.

Yup, You're gonna get wolves as soon as they figure out how many elk ya got there. :D Good luck! Sounds like ya got plenty of elk to go around.
If you want some wolves right away come up to Idaho and get'em. :D

From what I understand, the plan they're considering would allow any wolf north of I-70 that's harassing(don't know who's defining that) livestock to be shot. All wolves south of I-70 would be protected (because of the introduced population in NM-AZ). This was about a year ago. Not sure what's up now, but I guess I will on Tues. ;)

Oak

UT is starting meetings as well. I'll be going to one on March 8th, should be interesting...

Back