PEAX Equipment

Proposed Deer Season Changes

BrianID

The Idaho F&G is talking about moving the general deer season to the last part of October. What do you think about this?

IDFG To Host Big Game Open Houses Across Region During First Week Of March

IDAHO FALLS - After meeting with the public both regionally and statewide, wildlife biologists are now ready to present to the public proposed big game regulation changes for the upcoming seasons. Regionally, biologists held scoping meetings earlier this winter in Idaho Falls, Rexburg, and Arco; now they are ready to return to those towns and present a proposed product developed by combining the wide rage of input provided.
In addition to meeting with the public, IDFG staff has been conducting aerial surveys of various wintering populations of deer and elk across the region. While it is practically impossible because of monetary and personnel constraints to canvas the entire region, based on historical data biologists are able to survey sub-units and gain a useful picture of how various populations are faring overall.

According to Regional Wildlife Manager Daryl Meints, "We are going to be presenting proposals that will seek to increase deer hunting opportunity. This means allowing hunters to be able to hunt during a more favorable time of the year, such as late October." In regards to elk, Meints had to say, "In some areas we actually have more elk than the habitat can support. This means we'll be proposing to increase cow elk hunting opportunity in some places."

Sportsmen that would like to learn more about these proposals and provide comments should plan on attending one of the open house to be held in the region.

OPEN HOUSE SCHEDULE - All meetings start at 7:00 PM
Tuesday, March 2 Arco Arco Elementary School

Wednesday, March 3 Idaho Falls IDFG Office

Thursday, March 4 Rexburg Madison Middle School

Individuals with disabilities may request meeting accommodations by contacting Daryl Meints at the Idaho Department of Fish & Game at 525-7290 or through the Idaho Relay Service at 1-800-377-3529(TDD). Individuals not able to attend, but wishing to comment may do so via E-mail at [email protected] or by regular mail to IDFG /4279 Commerce Circle in Idaho Falls, Idaho 83401. The deadline for all comments is 5:00 P.M. on March 10, 2004.

http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/news/NewsReleases/view.cfm?NewsID=1923

I hope that this proposal fails. The earlier dates saves big bucks for three reasons.
1)Hunting during the last half of October vs. the first half of October will make all bucks easier to find and kill because the rut will be starting to heat up.

2)The first half of October also gives the deer an advantage because there is more cover from leaves still being on the trees and snow isn't as common earlier in October.

3)Many of the rifle elk hunts are during the last half of October so there would be more guys with deer tags in the woods than there would be otherwise. Even if some of the elk hunters don't have deer tags it makes the hunt less enjoyable with more hunters in the woods.

I don't think money is the main reason for this proposals. If the F&G wanted more money they would be trying to do away with the 10% nonresident quota. From what I have heard there have been a lot of hunters complain to the F&G about the warmer temperatures during early October and some hunters want to the deer and elk seasons to be open at the same time.

Brian. If it is not for the $$ then what is the proposal for then? It sure doesn't sound that it is in the best interest of the States deer herds as in the 3 popints you made sound pretty acurate to me. Granted it does sound in favor for hunters but what happens in the long run if passed?

These are the only reason that I have heard.

From what I have heard there have been a lot of hunters complain to the F&G about the warmer temperatures during early October and some hunters want the deer and elk seasons to be open at the same time.
I'm sure the F&G will state some other reasons in the next few weeks. I don't think the proposal will pass at this point but I could be very wrong.

It's the same way here in Washington...the WDFW tries too hard to please all hunters, instead of doing what is best for wildlife. I am sure many hunters here would like the deer season to be later, but so far the state hasn't caved in to the pressure. The thing is, if the deer season were later (during the rut and possibly snow) the hunting would be easier, especially for the bigger bucks, and eventually the number of hunters is going to have to be more limited to make up for the increase in deer being killed. So it's a choice between easier hunting but not being able to hunt every year, or more difficult hunting and going every year.

I may be mistaken but didn't the Idaho general deer season opener used to be towards the end of October years back? If so I wonder what the impact on the deer herds was then :confused:

Ridgerunner,
The general deer season use to open at the end of October. The latter season would have made it easier to harvest any deer. As with any rut hunt I'm sure many of the older bucks were killed that wouldn't have otherwise.
Here's a link that shows the total number of deer harvested each year. http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/hunt/programsinfo/genharv/35-99bgharv.htm
I think the October 5th opener started in 1995 but I could be wrong.

I, too, remember when the deer hunt started around the middle of October. Reason being, we were let out of school for half the week because so many of us went deer hunting and it was pointless to have school in session anyway. I have friends that hunted unit 70 this last year and said they didn't as well because the deer hunt was so early in October. They wish it was later in the month due to reasons commonly known. I hunt down that way every year and it seems that it has progressively gotten worse over the past few years but that won't stop me from hunting. I think it just makes you have to work a little bit harder to get that big old boy.

Wilecoyote76

I'm new to this learn about the Season/reason for the hunting. But I have learned that IFG is on a 5 year plan. They try to Set the Cycle from Counts and such. I think the 5 year plan sucks Donkey Dung. I like the 2 year plan On the 5 year plan if something drastically happnes like a Winter dieoff they usually aren't ready to change the Hunting season untill after the following year. then it's too late.

Also, My understanding is F&G try to UP the Hunters Chances at Harvesting/opertunity. thats why they won't close things like the 2 point system in the Owyhee's. were would the 3,500 hunters go ?

The Bennet mnt area I hear has gotten hit hard and the amount of Bucks comming from there aren't as good as it was. And thats the Top notch area. We're (DHI) putting on the Big Buck contest for Here and the Bucks that are showing up are 10-20 points less then they used to be. I don't have all the stats in front of me handy.

Anyways, If F&G are closing down 4-wheeler trails to make the Hunting better, Then opening up the Season later sothe Critters are next to the Road, whats the Difference ??!

Just wondering......

Originally posted by Moosie:

Also, My understanding is F&G try to UP the Hunters Chances at Harvesting/opertunity. thats why they won't close things like the 2 point system in the Owyhee's. were would the 3,500 hunters go ?

Anyways, If F&G are closing down 4-wheeler trails to make the Hunting better, Then opening up the Season later sothe Critters are next to the Road, whats the Difference ??!

Just wondering......
I wish those 3500 hunters in the Owyhees would realize that if they parked their ATVs, and quit road hunting, in 2 years, they would not be limited to shooting 2-pointers, but would all be killing 4x4's, and some of them HUGE. The Owyhees are great, but unfortunately we manage them for a Deer Nursery, and kill all the bucks with forks on their heads... :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back