Proper Meat Care for Antelope

Question on meat toughness: I got my first pronghorn last week. We ate the tenderloins and one backstrap so far, both grilled. The meat taste is great, but it has been the toughest game meat I've ever harvested(the rest being whitetails).

Due to the heat and the fact we were camping, we skinned and butchered it quickly and put it on ice before rigor. I know that can cause tough meat, but I also know guys do it all the time and don't have any problems. It's not going to stop us from eating it of course, but would love tips on getting the best end product possible.

Key is low and slow. If you cook them at too high of heat or for too long, meat toughens up and dries out. Another issue on both that many forget is to remove that silver skin. That connective tissue definitely makes meat tough if you leave it in. Before you grill tenderloins or back straps, let them thaw out completely in refrigerator then sear in hot skillet until all sides are brown (about one minute per side). Skillet should be around 400-450...really hot. Then cook slow until internal temp reaches the ideal level of doneness: Rare: 125°F, Medium-Rare: 130°F, Medium: 135°F, Medium-Well: 145°F, Well-Done: 150+°F I turn them now and then just because I like to do that. Some people don't.

Tenderloin and backstraps are best served on the rare side.

Another cause to tough meat is shooting antelope that have ran most of the day. Those will be gamey and tough. And then there is removing the meat from the bone too soon. Need to let the rigor phase pass before removing the muscles. However tenderloins and back strap should not be affected by that. Just try to cook them at lower heat and slower and see what happen.

What about cooking???? My wife is a master at cooking antelope. Her Barbacoa is awesome. She could make a rotten skunk taste good. Quit worrying about boning, glands blah blah blah and learn to cook antelope. If anybody wants recipes let me know. If you can’t cook learn to make sausage and jerky.

Once skinned, deboned, packed in a ice chest keeping it dried and cold, how long before it needs to be frozen? Can it last 6 days before needing to be frozen. Will using dry ice alone freeze it for me?

I hung my antelope in my garage (gutted and skinned but whole) for a week last year in 40-50 degree temps before I butchered and froze it and it turned out great. In with ice it would last much, much longer.

I hung my antelope in my garage (gutted and skinned but whole) for a week last year in 40-50 degree temps before I butchered and froze it and it turned out great. In with ice it would last much, much longer.
Would it make a difference being in zipped lock bags vs hanging in a garage?

Once skinned, deboned, packed in a ice chest keeping it dried and cold, how long before it needs to be frozen? Can it last 6 days before needing to be frozen. Will using dry ice alone freeze it for me?
Mine are often in a cooler for up to a week before getting cut/wrapped, never a problem. Keep them drained, keep them cool/cold and you'll be fine. I prefer ice jugs as it's less water to deal with. Short of that, I buy block ice if given the options.

Yes, it can last six days before needing to be frozen. Yes, dry ice may freeze it.

I’ve never cooked antelope steaks low and slow. If they are tough let them wet age in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Reactions: JEL
I skin them and quarter them ASAP. I usually start skinning within 10 minutes. Antelope are tiny and I can't find any good rationale for not carrying them out in pieces. If it's cold I'll hang the quarters in the shade until they have dried out and formed a rind and then put them into sealed waterproof bags and then onto ice. The two enemies of game meat are heat and moisture. Get the meat cool and dry as soon as possible.

WyoDoug,
Hope your hunt is going well.
I used your method (slight mods) in this year's antelope prep. I quartered in the field (instead of full boning) then instead of immediate butchering I kept cold but not freezing for 3 days before cut/wrap/freeze.
Results as good or better than any of the last 10. Cut it with a fork tender like some but not all of the others. It wasn't an old buck probably 2 or 3 year old. But certainly delicious (as usual).
Hope you are enjoying your new retirement and good luck on your hunt!

Randy L.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back