Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Prop Advise ( please , need help )

8andcounting

Ok so I usually post about hunting only, however I need help picking out a prop . :D
Heres what I have , 2007 Yamaha F115 4 stroke , on a Alumacraft trophy. The "stock" (original prop) on it is a 13x19 aluminum prop ..... so heres the question , is this the one I need ? im fine with that size , just wondering if its a 15 tooth prop like this web page from iboats.com says, really that's the only choice it gives me when I select f115 . if you would have a look at the link and any input would be fantastic !!!!:)

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Ya...-130-19_Propeller/411/8691/?cart_id=599764127

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Yamaha-Outboard-Propellers/?cart_id=937841390

I have bought a number of boats in my lifetime brand new. half the time the dealer didn't prop it right. I had that exact same motor on my last boat. Good motor, starts like a dream.

If you go to a 17 pitch prop you will have more hole shot and less top end. A 21 just the opposite. You can moderate that with changing the cupping of the prop.

My recommendation....call a guy who runs a prop shop. There are a few in Minnesota...not sure where you are from (this screen doesn't tell me).

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

He's right. The other suggestion I have is go stainless. The aluminums flex and there is noticeable difference in the performance from aluminum and stainless.

As far pitch. It depends on what you need... Holeshot or top end. Typically you lose around 5 mph between 17 and 21" pitch props. I prefer the hole shot. Gets on plane faster. Especially when loaded down with people or gear.

The motor is designed to run at a certain rpm range. When I bought my boat the prop wasn't letting the motor run even close to the rpm range. So I bought one with a higher pitch, now I come out of the hole faster, my motor runs at the lower end of the design rpm.
John

First off, Iboats is a great place to deal with. I just bought a brand new prop for my Mercury and had it in two days.
If you are doing any trolling with the motor, then the pitch should be lower, like the 17 that was mentioned. If you are doing a bunch of cruising and want to get there a little faster, then the 19 etc. would be better. 4-strokes tend to be a bit slower out of the hole anyway, so the tighter pitch would help that when pulling skiers etc.

I do quite a bit of trolling, so the tighter pitch works best for me..

Last edited:
Ricky from brainerd props in Minnesota is about the best in the biz. He will send you out props to try for nothing more than shipping.

For me, he had my the right prop on the 1st try, I had a couple concerns and he said to send it back and he'd put a little more cupping into the new prop. I couldnt be happier now.

http://brainerdprops.com/index.cfm/home

I hope this is ok to post. If not please forgive me and remove it.

Ha! You aren't very far from me then depending on how far north you are. I am in Alexandria.

I had a guy do a little more cupping and it helped immensely with that boat.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back