Pronghorn Scoring

Cheater

I read or hear very little on Hunt Talk and Fresh Tracks about the score of most animals (deer, elk, sheep, etc.) It is generally more about age or maturity of the animal which is great. There are plenty of places to talk about score.

With that said, Pronghorn seem to be the one animal that it's accepted to talk about score, field judging, etc. Is it simply that it is the hardest / trickiest thing about hunting them? What else makes them different in that regard?

Last edited:
From my perspective, there is likely more interest in scoring pronghorn because they a species that anyone on HT could have a reasonable chance of putting "in the book" in any particular year one has a tag. With time, patience, and knowledge of judging pronghorn, there are opportunities to find a book buck across a large portion of pronghorn range.

I read or hear very little on Hunt Talk and Fresh Tracks about the score of most animals (deer, elk, sheep, etc.) It is generally more about age or maturity of the animal which is great. There are plenty of places to talk about score.

With that said, Pronghorn seem to be the one animal that it's accepted to talk about score, field judging, etc. Is it simply that it is the hardest / trickiest thing about hunting them? What else makes them different in that regard?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Killing a pronghorn is about as difficult as brushing your teeth (at least on a rifle hunt in an average unit) so the challenge and excitement is finding one and judging it correctly to be high scoring. Otherwise, there isn't much of a story to go along with most antelope hunts. There aren't months of strategizing, huge elevation gains and losses on a stalk, there aren't scenic backcountry camps, and there aren't epic packouts that nearly bring you to your knees. The story of most antelope hunts is told in inches.

I love antelope hunting. It isn't psychically demanding, unless you want it to be. Shots don't have to be long, unless you want it to be. You can shoot the first one you see, unless you don't want to. You can have multiple shot opportunities, unless you don't want to. You can hunt in ugly country, unless you don't want to.

They are a (maybe THE) quintessential western animal and when I was thinking I would have to leave MT for the military, my mind went to antelope.

They have the sweetest meat; and has been oft said before they only downside is they aren't as big as elk.

As long as their is a WY doe tag somewhere, I'll be chasing them every year. If people quit applying in my unit in MT, I'll do it more often here. I have points in more states for antelope than any other species.

Where we hunt in Colorado ( 1/0 pt units, little access ), pronghorn hunting is not Wyoming pronghorn hunting. It is not trivial to find and kill one. Oh sure, there are plenty in the unit, but you won't have access to 99% of it.

“Epic” antelope packouts? Good Lord. Might be like a “epic” sunburn.

I can remember one packout that one might consider epic. 3.5 miles from the truck. Doubled up buck+doe. Started pouring while processing. You know how that mud gets. Boy was I cranky by the time I got back to the truck! :oops:

I think score for with lopes come into play as is adds a bit of consideration into my bow hunts, unless I am pressed for time I like to drag my hunt out for lopes a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back