MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pronghorn rifle

I'm in the process of building points for pronghorn. I currently have one point. I'm not looking for a trophy unit. I'm looking to harvest a beautiful pronghorn and have a nice shoulder mount done. Not to mention I hear the meat is very delicious. I'm looking to hunt public hunting property. How many preference points do I need to build up before applying? I'm learning about the draw odds. I'm just trying to get an idea of when to expect to plan a trip. I realize I can draw areas now but I want a variety of options to public hunting property. Thanks for any information.

I would clear your schedule and dive in to past threads by using the search function. There is TONS of info. I’d say build up a few more and options will be available.
Thanks. Yeah I'm a newbie to this sight also. I'm learning how to navigate through it. LOL..Thanks

Yeah. I'm aware of the few areas. But not sure if it's worth the trip with limited access to public hunting property
"worth" is very subjective. I would likely go just about anywhere anytime someone gave me an antelope tag. If you're deadset on public land, its worth the few years of building points. If you want to try to get access to private, then go every year.

"worth" is very subjective. I would likely go just about anywhere anytime someone gave me an antelope tag. If you're deadset on public land, its worth the few years of building points. If you want to try to get access to private, then go every year.
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Honestly I should have learned that from my first trip out west this year. We hunted Colorado and made alot of nice friends by meeting at local restaurants. Basically the friendship started by them walking over and asking how our hunt was going. With a positive attitude my reply was Basically it's our first trip we are learning. But the best part is the beautiful country. Also seeing animals we don't see at home. A rancher offered his ranch for pronghorn but we can't draw tags. I've got his ranch marked. I'm trying to just stay in contact simply Merry Christmas and Happy new year. Things like this goes a long way. We were very generous with our tips at the restaurant also.

I started 5 years ago to try and shoot a nice pronghorn buck. I was close 2 years ago to a ok unit according to the draws if I went in the special. I drew my 3rd choice and got to hunt. Had a good time but we only saw one that maybe, on a perfect day, with a stretched tape measure, would even remotely break 70”.

My wife filled hers with a any buck that would stand still under 200 yards. He ate good but is nowhere near a shoulder mount.
I ended up eating my tag by choice. There was no need for me to shoot another dink. We had enough for the freezer.

Point being this year at 5 points, I still cannot draw the same unit we applied for 2 years ago. We have a no chance in hell draw odds even with the special. Point creep 101.

Best I can tell you is go hunt and forget about a shoulder mount. It will happen when it happens. Or wait to keep chasing a decent unit you will never catch.6DFFC388-47DC-4FBF-A0BA-54EBDECA5EED.jpeg

I started 5 years ago to try and shoot a nice pronghorn buck. I was close 2 years ago to a ok unit according to the draws if I went in the special. I drew my 3rd choice and got to hunt. Had a good time but we only saw one that maybe, on a perfect day, with a stretched tape measure, would even remotely break 70”.

My wife filled hers with a any buck that would stand still under 200 yards. He ate good but is nowhere near a shoulder mount.
I ended up eating my tag by choice. There was no need for me to shoot another dink. We had enough for the freezer.

Point being this year at 5 points, I still cannot draw the same unit we applied for 2 years ago. We have a no chance in hell draw odds even with the special. Point creep 101.

Best I can tell you is go hunt and forget about a shoulder mount. It will happen when it happens. Or wait to keep chasing a decent unit you will never catch.View attachment 208534
Thanks for the information. Honestly being from KY I'm a trophy Whitetail hunter. But out west I know nothing about what makes a trophy. Whatever the Lord blesses me with I will proudly add to my wall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211119-001032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-001032_Chrome.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the information. Honestly being from KY I'm a trophy Whitetail hunter. But out west I know nothing about what makes a trophy. Whatever the Lord blesses me with I will proudly add to my wall.
Take time to look at threads, thousands of pics, and give your buddy your bullets. First time antelope hunters see a buck and get all excited and shoot. Second time they antelope hunt they give it a day or two.

Key is to look at a lot of bucks. Then go back and decide which one to hunt.

Take time to look at threads, thousands of pics, and give your buddy your bullets. First time antelope hunters see a buck and get all excited and shoot. Second time they antelope hunt they give it a day or two.

Key is to look at a lot of bucks. Then go back and decide which one to hunt.
I'm not saying this is bad advice and I'm certainly no antelope expert, but everyone said don't shoot the first antelope you see; we didn't shoot the first one we saw on our first antelope hunt and I still think he might be the biggest one we've ever had a chance at! So, if you really like it.....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back