PEAX Equipment

Pronghorn Calls

Backcountry Hunter 2

I drew my first pronghorn archery tag this year in CO. I've already taken one with a rifle, but this is my first time with a bow. My plan is to spot and stalk, but have a decoy and a call or two to help close the distance. I'm wondering if anyone has had good experience with calls, and if so what type. I'm currently looking at the Primos and the E.L.K. Inc. one. Feel free to PM. I'm relatively new here so below is a picture of the one I took with a rifle three years ago.

6YBuy9x.jpg

Depends on when you're hunting. If you are hunting the rut and looking for satellite bucks, you can do very well with just a decoy. I personally wouldn't bother with a call. Best advice is put most of your time into shooting

I would not carry a pronghorn decoy around if rifle season nor in an area where poaching is an issue. Nor wear a pronghorn cap under those circumstances. Hunters get cataracts, too. Wave a white flag or sit water in a blind or use the cow decoy.

I would not carry a pronghorn decoy around if rifle season nor in an area where poaching is an issue. Nor wear a pronghorn cap under those circumstances. Hunters get cataracts, too. Wave a white flag or sit water in a blind or use the cow decoy.

There is no rifle or muzzle-loader tag for pronghorn going on at the same time.

We have one and it will work if you can use it right and catch them in the right mood.
Ours is an old wooden barrelled one and it sounds kind of odd but it is the sound they make. The cadence is the key.

My understanding is that a white flag is meant to look like a pronghorn rump. The theory is that the white will get a buck's attention and get him to think you're a rival buck. If he's curious and/or aggressive enough he may come running. It's kind of hit and miss but does have the potential to pay off for you.

I have one. It's wooden, however, it has no name on the call. I find that the only real time that it works is during the rut. It is actually referred to a to as a "challenge call". It definitely gets the bucks attention. You will find out very quickly if the buck tis dominant or submissive. The submissive ones will haul butt in a hurry. The dominant ones will stand the ground or come in to check you out. There is no way to tell if it will work until you use the call. It is very small and I wear it around my neck. I would rather have it then not.

good luck to all
the dog

I have one. It's wooden, however, it has no name on the call. I find that the only real time that it works is during the rut. It is actually referred to a to as a "challenge call". It definitely gets the bucks attention. You will find out very quickly if the buck tis dominant or submissive. The submissive ones will haul butt in a hurry. The dominant ones will stand the ground or come in to check you out. There is no way to tell if it will work until you use the call. It is very small and I wear it around my neck. I would rather have it then not.

good luck to all
the dog

Can you post a picture?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like a "crow call" & pretty much sounds like a crow call. I believe this came from Mel Dutton. I can not remember exactly. Bought it about 15+ years ago. If you search the internet you might be able to find how it works (the call style). It is basically 3 short bursts (maybe more).

Here is the only video that I could find online. It gives you an idea of the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjHLgF8bFw

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like a "crow call" & pretty much sounds like a crow call. I believe this came from Mel Dutton. I can not remember exactly. Bought it about 15+ years ago. If you search the internet you might be able to find how it works (the call style). It is basically 3 short bursts (maybe more).

Here is the only video that I could find online. It gives you an idea of the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjHLgF8bFw

good luck to all
the dog
Awesome. Thanks

I bought one on the way to an antelope hunt 10 or 12 years ago for the Hell of it. All my buddies laughed and made fun of me on the 5 hour drive and said I wasted 14 bucks or whatever it was. I brought two running bucks to a stop the first day with it so guys could get a shot. They quit laughing. This was during Montana's rifle hunt, so sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Had a bunch of does actually come check me out as I used it. I still carry it around just in case. mtmuley

I have that call as well, and one from Eastman....

As already noted, they work amazingly well. Sometimes.

Well worth having and using.

I remember one buck that was across a flat over a mile away. It was archery season and my decoy alone failed to get his attention.
So I used the call, and he came running in full blast to 10 yards. Noting unusual, but great evidence that using the call alone can be productive.

Decoys, flags and calls have their time and place. Be prepared by having them available.....

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back