Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pronghorn Bipod

My pronghorn spot and stalk routine includes extending the bipod for a sitting position and carrying the rifle low in one arm while walking hunched over. when I get over the rise enough to see the buck, I sit and send the round.

I shoot a higher adjustable Harris bipod. If I need to shoot prone real low, I shoot off the pack. If I need a higher support kneeling or sitting, I shoot off the top of my pack's frame. That way, I cover all my shooting positions minus standing which I rearely take anyway.

I have used the 13x27 and used it several times on antelope. If you feel it is to tall. use your pack for rear support and you'll be good to go. Killed one at 300yds that way and i'm not a long range shooter.

I'd get the Harris S-25C. As already noted, you want something tall enough to shoot over sage, with a swivel for uneven terrain. My brother learned the hard way the importance of having a taller bipod, and I learned the hard way the importance of having a swivel. The S-25C can still be made short enough to shoot prone, particularly if you lay your pack flat and lay the gun across your pack with the tripod legs resting on the ground, and tall enough to shoot over sage. I've done both with my S-25C. Just be sure you practice under both conditions.
Yes the "s" swivel us the way to go.

I'm a big fan of 9-13" for out west. Helps get over the grass and cacti. I've since moved from bipods to an acra rail/tripod combo. Caldwell XLA is a good value.

I may be the outlier, but I've used the primos polecat shooting sticks for about the last decade and love them. My rifle is slung on my shoulder, and I carry the shooting sticks in either hand as I hike around. Part of the reason I do this is to eliminate weight or more gadgets on my rifle, you have to be able to take quick shots sometimes with antelope.

It's a plain-jane set of sticks, but they're light and I can quickly set them out and shoot off of them from a sitting or kneeling position. In all the areas I've hunted in Wyoming, I've only taken one shot from prone - and then I just used my pack. There is usually sagebrush, cactus or something similar in the way so prone is a rare thing for me.

They're also handy when I need to sit and glass for 5-10 and don't feel like getting out the spotting scope. I collapse the lower third of the sticks and they're about perfect height to put my bino's on and glass.

There are many good options but some sort of rest for shooting at pronghorn is very beneficial. The most important thing is to practice with whatever you decide to use on your pronghorn hunt. Setting up for a shot will be more second nature the more you practice.
Personally I've been very happy with a combination of my pack and long Harris that swivels. If I can get prone, I'll use the Harris on front and my pack as a rear rifle rest. For me this is the most stable shooting position I've been able to get into while hunting. If I can't get prone because the sage is too tall, I have a long enough bipod to shoot from a sitting position.
I use a tripod with a hog saddle clamp when calling coyotes. It makes a great rest but for me it is less stable than the Harris bipod for longer shots.

I haven’t used a Magpul but the Harris is solid. I picked up a Hatch last season for hunting from the ground. I went that route because all I need is a two inch rail mounted on my rifles and it will swap between them and I’m not stuck trying to shoot free handed with a bipod stuck on the rifle. There’s a ton of adjustability with it too
In the market for bipods, how is hatch out west bipod so far ? I have Pic rail rail on my Xbolt mountain pro, factory fitted. Do we need ADM clamp head for it? Thanks

In the market for bipods, how is hatch out west bipod so far ? I have Pic rail rail on my Xbolt mountain pro, factory fitted. Do we need ADM clamp head for it? Thanks
I like the hatch. Mine has the normal head on it, haven’t tried one with the adm clamp on it. I don’t think it gets much better than the hatch from an adjustability perspective.

I picked up a Spartan with the new longer legs to try this season. The primary advantage to me is that you can track something moving without moving the whole rifle/bipod. It definitely doesn’t carry as well as the hatch so we’ll see how it goes

I like the hatch. Mine has the normal head on it, haven’t tried one with the adm clamp on it. I don’t think it gets much better than the hatch from an adjustability perspective.

I picked up a Spartan with the new longer legs to try this season. The primary advantage to me is that you can track something moving without moving the whole rifle/bipod. It definitely doesn’t carry as well as the hatch so we’ll see how it goes
Thank you. if I understand correctly, hatch bipod doesn't have tracking to to spot the moving target ?

I haven’t found any bipod that comes close to being as useful as the Harris S-25, especially for antelope and coyote. The 6-9” is often too low to get you over grass or terrain. The three piece legs on the S-25 go low enough to shoot prone and high enough to shoot sitting.

I haven’t found any bipod that comes close to being as useful as the Harris S-25, especially for antelope and coyote. The 6-9” is often too low to get you over grass or terrain. The three piece legs on the S-25 go low enough to shoot prone and high enough to shoot sitting.
I am thinking about this elevate bipod, about 19" high and seems to work better for high sage country.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back