MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pronghorn Beard Question

Stonepointer

There is only one little area in the North of California were a hunter can legally go after them and as far as I know it probably not all that easy to get a tag for them.

I always consider it a rare treat to see antelope here in California.

It is even rarer to see them close up.

I live in an area that is named for these beasts with the beautiful hides, but they are extremely rare here now.

My first encounter with one was almost hitting one while driving with a friend in British TR-7 fastback on a mountain highway. It ran right in front of us and we stopped with absolute jaw dropped amazement at what had just happened. That was in the early 1980's.

My second encounter was with a herd seen off to the side of the highway in Tehachapi, California. I was not sure if they were imports or natural here.

A third encounter was with one seen through binos at about 300 or more yards resting in shady area provide by mesquite and sage while scouting for muleys last year. I don't know why he was there.

My best encounter to date was on the way home from a turkey hunt last spring in the oilfields near the town of McKittrick, California. There were 2, an older buck and a female probably close in age to the buck.

As the car I was in stopped, I got out my binoculars and noticed it had a long brown goat-like beard. Then it cautiously came closer to within 40 yards to the front of the car and walked carefully across the road and suddenly bolted into a ditch area and up a hill that the ditch joined into. The female followed in full run, after the buck bolted at a greater distance behind.

Out of most pictures, videos, and the very few live experiences I have had with the American antelope, I have never seen a long goat-like beard on any of them except this one.

Is this typical hair growth when they get older?

Are you sure you weren't in San Francisco staring down a long bearded hippie?? I grew up in Nor Cal and was fortunate to draw a Likely Tables lope tag...and I can say the antelope in Cali look just like the ones here in Idaho...no beards. However I've seen some pretty freaky things killed posted here on HT so I guess you never know.

This was in Kern County, there are occasional pronghorn seen in this area.

There was another person with me and he was driving the car, also he was the first one to see this critter.

There was no mistaking what this animal was, I am absolutely sure it was antelope and so was he. It passed right in front of our car.

Now either it is some kind of X-animal mutant of an antelope, a genetic abberation, or we were both tripping. A car a few lengths behind us also stopped to take a look.

I was close enough to see it's chin and it did not look like any kind of feed or mud grass hanging down from it. It was a goat-like beard of very light brown.

I did say that I have never seen any other like it before.

I live in a place called Antelope Valley and pictures and representations of this animal are in many places here. Although there are not too many seen here anymore, we still have them scattered in obscure places and they are rarely seen, but not any that looked like this one.

Besides, this one was seen in a different area of the county that may have a lot of grassland, but really has not been known for any antelope that I know of.

Their brown and white facial markings are set off by a black top to their muzzle and an Abe Lincoln-like patch of black beard at the top of the throat.

Maybe the one you came across had a serious case of... abe lincoln like beardage. :)

Never seen one with a beard that stood out - as a beard... though they do have that little fuzzy spot as described above... - not sure of the abe lincoln like...

Here is a link to a video of the rarely seen pronghorn in our area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLbGVXm8G_A

Sorry, no bearded ones, but the fact that she captured this in the Southern California area is rare enough, and I myself have been lucky enough to see them here more than once. So I feel rather priveledged.

I have seen stiff bristley chin hair sticking out and down on larger mule deer, but last Spring was the first time I have ever seen a goat beard on an antelope.

I asked here, since many of you on this particular forum are from the mountain states, you would have lots of experience with pronghorn and you might know why this could take place and perhaps provide me an answer on the nature of this beast.

Thanks for all the answers though.

So by some of these answers provided here, I have to guess what a few others and myself saw, could have very well been a mutant Antelope.

Last edited:
I think I may have figured this one out.

The town of McKittrick is known for oil production and there are a lot of natural seeps and also some ancient tar pits in this area known as the Carrizo plains.

This pronghorn may have come to rest on or near one of those seeps and got some on his fur on that spot on his chin.

It is either that or what Tarheel said about his momma taking a shine to a billy goat. :hump: :eek:

It can awfully lonely when there are so few of their same kind around. :D

I used to travel the Western portion of the 58 highway alot and do know that the Carrizo plains has herds of them there, but this was the first time I had seen one there.

I was probably passing through West Kern at the wrong times of day or year to have not seen one there.

They are seen very rarely here in the Antelope Valley, but an occasional glimpse is seen of solitary groups, and the large herd I saw in Tehachapi was in that area that has the hillsides and mountainsides covered up with all those power windmills now. No chance of seeing them around there anymore.

The only place I know in California where it is legal to hunt them is in the Northeast portion of the state.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PotomacRiver
Back