Caribou Gear

Project out of control

Another option that has been working for me:

Have your wife create a list of all the things around the house that she wants fixed or changed, but only work on them once every twelve months or so... Evaluate the list and cut projects to fit a four to five day window (the extras go on next year’s list).

Invite a family member (like a brother, etc) who is a contractor/carpenter to your place for a long weekend in February (after Superbowl weekend has passed). Most of the hunting seasons are over by this time and business is slow enough for him to be gone for a few extra days without consequence.

Share your wife's most recent “honey-do” list with him several days before he is scheduled to arrive. Make sure he understands that you'll never complete her list before the season opener next fall unless he jumps in while he’s there for a few days. He feels your pain and agrees to assist where possible.

Start out by asking your brother to provide a list of needed materials for all aforementioned projects.

Purchase all needed materials a couple days prior to his arrival, then stage them in your in the house/garage. This is done as an attempt to ensure that he has adequate time to complete all needed repairs/modifications before he leaves without wasting his valuable time driving to/from the hardware store or lumber yard.

Start all projects knowing that he won’t leave an uncompleted project. Hand him the proper tool when he requests and spend a few days BSin’ with him while he does most of the work. Make solo trips to the store for “one-off” items while keeping him in the house working to complete the list.

Purchase additional personal items as Big Fin mentions/suggests. If you wife questions any extravagant purchases at a later date; tell her it was a gift for your brother (for all his hard work), but you forgot to give it to him before he left. If he ever asks about the gift, give it to him in used condition or purchase a replacement for his next trip.

I got married in June and had kids in March and May. Just barely missed turkey season. Plan weddings and kids (if you can) around hunting season to make married life much more enjoyable. I'm going to a September 1st wedding this year, what a dumba$$. At least I'm getting a sturgeon fishing trip out of the deal.

as I prepare to be wed in early september
I was already highlighting this phrase to respond when I read Bigfin's sage advice to you deerslayer. The first step you will want to do since you will most likely not be able to listen to Bigfin's excellent advice and will be unable to reason with your fiance' that a September wedding is a bad idea, is to change your screen name to "I Archery Hunt no More". Then you can sell your equipment for a pittance to subsidise next year's anniversery trip instead of your elk hunt.
You may be able to use the idea of a romantic camping getaway for one more year's elk hunt but that will be your last.

A moment's silence for a good man gone......

After seeing fins tactics, I would be screwed. I don't like to pay for what I can do, and I don't want to brag but there is not much I cannot tackle. Here is my tactic though... Before you get married or right after, you tell her that there is no "honey-do list". I will get to it when I get to it, and if it is that important YOU will get your ass off the couch and be doing something that I want done while I am working on what you want done. ***Disclaimer*** if your a lazy type of person who has tons of free time this may get you in divorce court, if your a busy guy she cannot argue with you

Hey Fin...good advice, sounds like you tried that once or twice....As for me, all birthdays, anniversarys April,June, and August...Im in the clear....my advice...change the day...you still have time....:cool:

Take no offense on this 'slayer. Just looking at the long-term interest of marital harmony with the wonderful woman who has captured your soul. Better to get married in February or March and live peacefully by having no scheduled commitments in September, rather than find a great woman who is going to ask, as any reasonable woman would, that you give your anniversary highest priority in September, even if it imposes on your elk hunting.

I only know one guy with a September anniversary who gets to hunt. All the rest have sold their bows and bought golf clubs. When the time comes, list your archery gear here at the Free Classifieds section.

No offense taken Big Fin, only reason we had to do an early September wedding is because we are moving to Great Falls on Aug. 15th, and pushing a date into late fall/early winter was not an option, nor was an earlier date at our chosen venue. I am lucky in the fact that my future bride enjoys hunting and supports my passion for chasing elk in the rut. If there comes a time when I have to list my archery gear for the reason that my wife is wanting to commit to other things during archery elk season I will personally buy you DQ blizzards and humbly tell you that you were right! This is my confidence in my ability to continue hunting every archery season.

Mrs. Fin read this thread and now I have to come clean with the rest of the story. Yes, I have used this tactic and it has worked marvelously well. And for me, using this tactic is not much of an act, as I am as unhandy as husbands get.

But, if I fail to report that in the last year that Mrs. Fin has repaired the dishwasher and the dryer, while I was out hunting, my days of hunting could be less.

So, I am here, confessing that Mrs. Fin does own more tools than I do and has more handy talents than me. She was a great wife to start with, allowing me to hunt so much, forcing me to take her fishing, but she is also "handier" than me and is willing to prove it when the time comes.

See, I am dumb, but I am not so dumb. Some of us "marry up" in life. I married so far up the ladder, I don't think you can measure the distance.

See, I am dumb, but I am not so dumb. Some of us "marry up" in life. I married so far up the ladder, I don't think you can measure the distance.

Haha, is that because you can't read a tape measure! :D My fiancee read the thread and was unamused, however she knows well enough I would rather fix/build something myself instead of paying someone else to do. She is my "uptown girl" and I am her "dowtown guy!" some of the older folks on her may get that reference, God bless Billy Joel! :hump:

ID_deerslayer; said:
My fiancee read the thread and was unamused, :

Well how amused will she be when you are trading your wedding anniversary holidays for archery elk hunts??

Nonetheless, it sounds like she is a good gal and i'm sure you have everything under control..

Excellent advice, particularly on wedding dates. It's good to try to do a little planned parenthood as well. Here are a few thing to consider. If renting is an option instead of buying, it certainly helps keep remodel time down, after all we are only renting ? You do have to be careful with this tactic though, you might end up spending a considerable amount of time looking at houses to buy. Another option for the perspective homeowner is instead of buying one nice home to get two. Buy something really low maintenance like a condo and then couple it with a crappy old cabin in the woods (hunting cabin you know) . Make sure the cabin is sort of beyond hope. It's the setting that is good. If the cabin is kinda nice, well you will be fixing it up.

If you already bought a home, here are some tactics for projects. Leave a project slightly unfinished, but perfectly functional. This can be really simple, for instance you ran out of molding, or you did a couple real bad molding cuts at the end and they really need replacing. The reason for this is simple. You can't go on to another project until this one is complete, but you can delay this project forever, because the problems are not glaring enough or causing a functional issue, so you can just keep forgetting to get the needed supplies. It's just a stall tactic. See, in the grand scheme, say you do a bang up job on the bathroom and it's complete and looks great. Now the bedroom needs to match. So you do a great job on the bedroom , and well next the hallway needs it ... and it goes on until you turn around and update the bathroom again. However, if you use a stall tactic, having the bathroom functioning , you can delay the next project several months and maybe even longer. Then when really pressured for some results, just finish the bathroom, and you get points. Realize the bedroom will need to be done shortly after. But put a stall plan in the bedroom and it can buy you more time.

It's really all the fault of our grocery stores and fast food restaurants. If you couldn't go to the store or order a Dominoes, the wife would be begging you to go hunt instead of working on the cave (home).

Slayer, dude a September wedding? That one's gonna haunt you man.

I guess I'll admit to being more deceitful than Big Fin. Listen up young guys,If you don't want to be doing these ''Honey do's'' around the house................Get in the building trades. My wife knows there's zero chance of getting me to do around our house in my off time what I do during the day for a living.

The Bakers wife never has bread,the Butchers wife never has meat.

And the cobbler's children have the poorest shoes in town.

Oh no! Marriage mistake of the highest degree. :eek:

I was just having this guidance session with a young guy yesterday. He is getting married the first week of September. Ask any elk hunter who got married in September and he will tell you it was a mistake; a huge mistake.

You have to renegotiate this one. Really, I am not kidding. Your September vacation days will be used for anniversary trips, leaving you no time for bugling elk. Anniversaries deserve vacations days to be allocated, which is why you never, I mean under no circumstance, not even for fortune or fame, get married between August 15th and the end of November.

I got married in February - no hunting or fishing to be disrupted and it is just a few days before Valentines Day. One of the best ideas I ever conjured up, other than convincing that amazing woman to marry me in the first place. You can't go wrong with February. Every anniversary you can take her to some warm tropical paradise, rather than pay some Queen's ransom to pry loose for a day or two of elk hunting.

Take no offense on this 'slayer. Just looking at the long-term interest of marital harmony with the wonderful woman who has captured your soul. Better to get married in February or March and live peacefully by having no scheduled commitments in September, rather than find a great woman who is going to ask, as any reasonable woman would, that you give your anniversary highest priority in September, even if it imposes on your elk hunting.

I only know one guy with a September anniversary who gets to hunt. All the rest have sold their bows and bought golf clubs. When the time comes, list your archery gear here at the Free Classifieds section.

Come on guys, chime in here and help ID_Deerslayer. Don't let another one of ranks make this mistake.

100% agree on wedding date timing! (My anniversary is Feb 27th. Brilliant minds think alike! LOL)

February is strategically placed in between ice fishing and turkey season. You might give up a predator hunt or two, but God has seen fit to make plenty of them. (OK it is in ice fishing season, but giving up some ice time isn't a crime like giving up elk hunting time). I have a hard enough time convincing my wife I need to be gone on the first day of school once in a while. (I have used the arguement that the elk will rut whether I am there or not. If I am not in the elk woods during prime time, it might take more vacation before I might kill one)

I have season this car wreck before so I don't need to see a repeat and expect a different outcome. Don't get married in Sept.

Let's face it, most of us have married up. In football terms, we have outrun our coverage. For some reason they are blind to this tidbit. Get married in Feb, take them to some place warm, and they may never wise up to this fact.

Well how amused will she be when you are trading your wedding anniversary holidays for archery elk hunts??

HGWT- She will be plenty amused as she gets to eat the meat all winter! I have heard the rumor that spouses trade off planning anniversaries each year, so she already has a good idea of what I will planning for when it is my year!

Kevint- we just finished moving to Great Falls from the Boise area and will be renting for the next two years and thankfully have a handy landlord to do any projects she wants! We plan to buy some property(5-10 acres) and build a house so that should lessen the need for home projects needing to be fixed. The nice thing about a September wedding is that babies can be put in the oven on anniversaries and pop out in spring!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back