Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Problem with a Vortex scope

Don Fischer

Actually it wasn't the scope itself but rather the mounts. Base's were just a skint to low and allowed the scope to touch under the magnification adjustment ring and just a bit under the front of the barrel. I've shot it like that and it shot fine but got to feeling guilty last night so started looking over it again. It occured to me that raising the scope just a hair would relieve the problem so I gave it a shot. removed the base's and put three layer's of black electrical tape under front and back. Got the front off but not quite the back. So took the scope off and took a flat file to the back edge of the back base and filed a 45* angle on it. Took off a bit and tried then tested and if needed started over. Didn't take very long and the scope cleared front and back and where I filed did not get to the screw hole. Now if it warms up today need to go up the hill and re-sight it in. I was maybe pretty lucky in the filing as they are aluminum Weaver base's and filed easily.

Actually it wasn't the scope itself but rather the mounts. Base's were just a skint to low and allowed the scope to touch under the magnification adjustment ring and just a bit under the front of the barrel. I've shot it like that and it shot fine but got to feeling guilty last night so started looking over it again. It occured to me that raising the scope just a hair would relieve the problem so I gave it a shot. removed the base's and put three layer's of black electrical tape under front and back. Got the front off but not quite the back. So took the scope off and took a flat file to the back edge of the back base and filed a 45* angle on it. Took off a bit and tried then tested and if needed started over. Didn't take very long and the scope cleared front and back and where I filed did not get to the screw hole. Now if it warms up today need to go up the hill and re-sight it in. I was maybe pretty lucky in the filing as they are aluminum Weaver base's and filed easily.
WOW! Electrical tape and filing bases is not what I would recommend. Your scope rings are probably no where near level or in line with each other now. Did you check them?
Like stated new rings is the correct way to fix this issue. I also agree the tape will probably degrade and shift during recoil. Shimming bases is a hack job at best.

Ooo man, I like your ingenuity but can't help but feel that you are asking for trouble. Personally, even if I could get the rifle to hold zero at the range, that electrical tape would be in the back of my mind constantly while hunting. Rings and bases are one of the cheapest parts of any rifle/hunt. I'd get new ones. You may even be able to find someone on hear who will buy the rings. Probably not the bases, however...

WOW! Electrical tape and filing bases is not what I would recommend. Your scope rings are probably no where near level or in line with each other now. Did you check them?
Like stated new rings is the correct way to fix this issue. I also agree the tape will probably degrade and shift during recoil. Shimming bases is a hack job at best.
I wondered about the tape degrading. But till I can get to town and get new rings this will have to do. I though about using an aluminum can to make shims but couldn't think of how to cut it right.

I wondered about the tape degrading. But till I can get to town and get new rings this will have to do. I though about using an aluminum can to make shims but couldn't think of how to cut it right.
With 3 layers of tape I’d expect it to move under recoil pretty easily. Cutting an aluminum can with side cutters or snips wouldn’t be to hard.
What did the filing on the rear base do? Did you file a slope into the bottom of the base?
Is this your only rifle? Why not just wait until you get some taller rings?

Personally, I have had nothing but good experiences with my Vortex scopes. All pass box tests and hold zero.

Similar to your issue @Don Fischer , I bought 2pc Leupold BackCountry mounts to go with a Vortex Tactical scope on a LA Savage 110. The 1" tube section only had 1/4" play fore and aft inside the mounts given their fixed location on the action, and the magnification ring hit the rear. Tried both medium and high. Like you, I considered beveling the back to make it clear. In the end I sent it back and switched to a picatinny rail and medium rings. This option also gave me the eye relief adjustability that I wanted as well.

Last edited:
Personally, I have had nothing but good experiences with my Vortex scopes. All pass box tests and hold zero.

Similar to your issue @Don Fischer , I bought 2pc Leupold BackCountry mounts (tried both medium and high) to go with a Vortex Tactical scope on a LA Savage 110. With the mount having a fixed location on the action, the 1" tube section on the scope only had 1/4" play fore and aft and the magnification ring hit the rear mount. I considered beveling the back to make it clear, but ended up switching to a picatinny rail and medium rings. This option also gave me the eye relief adjustability that I wanted as well.
I think you did the right thing but as I said, where I have to go to get new rings is 70mi. I haveen't a clue how well that electrical tape under the base's will work if at all but poor people got poor ways. Nothing ventured npothnmg gained. When I get up the desire to go to bend again I will certainly look for new rings in a higher mount. Tape tells me that I don't have to go up far at all. Three layer's looks like less than 1/16th". Shoot I've got a shovel handle in the shop I taped up several years ago and the tape is holding. Wish I could have made the shims out of an alumium can!

As for the scope itself not a problem one. even touching where it does, it sighted in well and has held it. I like the scope!

With 3 layers of tape I’d expect it to move under recoil pretty easily. Cutting an aluminum can with side cutters or snips wouldn’t be to hard.
What did the filing on the rear base do? Did you file a slope into the bottom of the base?
Is this your only rifle? Why not just wait until you get some taller rings?
Filed a slope across the top but not deep enough to invade the screw hole. It may let the scope move under recoil. I figured that was just something I could deal with with new rings if need be and I will get new rings. The tape cover's the whole bottom of the base's with eash layer. Just measured three layer's pressed together and they measure .020", not very thick. I'll find out soon as I can. Cold and snowing here all day.

Amazon Prime is my guy. 2 day delivery. Free returns.

I won't pile on you. Reason being, I just might have some electrical tape on the rings of a coupe of my scopes. :eek: Not as a shim, but to keep it from scratching. I am not sure yours would slip.

Back