Pro-Wolf-Anti Hunting CPW Commissioner Appointed.

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
I preached and preached and preached about this back when it happened. I could probably dig up the old threads. There was a "sportsman" wh@o created as "sportsman's org" and was consulting. @Khunter might remember the name of the organization, as I think he owned the name for a while. 😂

I hit the search function while I listened to this client drone on to my team about data at 23:00 his time (“work from home“ in my industry is more exhausting than airplanes and hotels) and found some of the discussion. I was blissfully unaware of that LO crap in 2012, but what a CF. Same with the commission makeup back in 05.

Just FYI, I wasn’t saying I loved any given makeup, but that it is the current rule. I tend to think that the concept is directionally correct - analogous to mixed use on NF and BLM - but certainly there is substantial opportunity for gaming when the potential (and reality) for crossover between the groups is very high.

TLDR - The pendulum swings and the Public hunter is at the equilibrium point getting hit every time.

Excuse my ignorance, I'm still trying to get up to speed on these types of topics. But wouldn't this Tutchton fellow be replacing a like-minded, non-consumptive wildlife organization type individual on the commission?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm still trying to get up to speed on these types of topics. But wouldn't this Tutchton fellow be replacing a like-minded, non-consumptive wildlife organization type individual on the commission?
Michelle Zimmerman is the commissioner he is replacing, I believe she was involved with renewable energy development and mt.biking.

It's Parks and wildlife, so I definitely think there should be a voice from the biking/kayaking/paddling/motorsports crowd.

Sportsmen lost a great opportunity in 2018 to have a strong advocate for hunting and wildlife on the Commission when Jim Spehar's nomination was not confirmed. Every Republican in the Senate was opposed to Spehar's nomination because of positions he took on energy development when he was a Mesa County Commissioner. I've served on panels with Jim and you could always count on him to put the resource and sportsmen first. The Senate Agriculture, Natural Resources & Energy Committee rejected his nomination as a representative of parks and outdoor recreation with virtually no discussion. It was a great opportunity to get an avid hunter in one of the commission seats that hunters might view as troubling.

Sportsmen lost a great opportunity in 2018 to have a strong advocate for hunting and wildlife on the Commission when Jim Spehar's nomination was not confirmed. Every Republican in the Senate was opposed to Spehar's nomination because of positions he took on energy development when he was a Mesa County Commissioner. I've served on panels with Jim and you could always count on him to put the resource and sportsmen first. The Senate Agriculture, Natural Resources & Energy Committee rejected his nomination as a representative of parks and outdoor recreation with virtually no discussion. It was a great opportunity to get an avid hunter in one of the commission seats that hunters might view as troubling.

We've had that same problem in MT. Bob Ream comes to mind.

Michelle Zimmerman is the commissioner he is replacing, I believe she was involved with renewable energy development and mt.biking.

It's Parks and wildlife, so I definitely think there should be a voice from the biking/kayaking/paddling/motorsports crowd.
Thanks for tagging me @wllm1313

I definitely see the need for the commission makeup to represent the P side, but the W side will suffer(most likely).

To @Ben Lamb point, it's only one vote, but it goes to show the direction of this governor. Knowingly placing an anti-hunting advocate on the commission is not my idea of diversity.... Polis is just bad for this state in more ways than than I have fingers and toes.

Thanks for tagging me @wllm1313

I definitely see the need for the commission makeup to represent the P side, but the W side will suffer(most likely).

To @Ben Lamb point, it's only one vote, but it goes to show the direction of this governor. Knowingly placing an anti-hunting advocate on the commission is not my idea of diversity.... Polis is just bad for this state in more ways than than I have fingers and toes.

Your state is definitely not the same as it was 10 years ago, that's for sure. Serious question: Do the voices of people who think differently than us deserve to have a seat at the table when it comes to wildlife management?

Your state is definitely not the same as it was 10 years ago, that's for sure. Serious question: Do the voices of people who think differently than us deserve to have a seat at the table when it comes to wildlife management?
I guess if you accept the fact that it undermines the purpose of the entire organization, then yes. You surely know, different voices yes, but one that will directly look to change the purpose seems a bit out of line.

I see this as going the same route as the CA commission, when Dan Richards was ousted.

Do the voices of people who think differently than us deserve to have a seat at the table when it comes to wildlife management?
Absolutely. I while I disagree with the positions he took with regard to bears and wolves, I'm sure we would be allies on protecting elk range, wetlands, etc.

I hope that he sees his position as a chance to build ties between hunters and anglers and non-consumptive groups and doesn't take an antagonist roll on the commission.

I guess if you accept the fact that it undermines the purpose of the entire organization, then yes. You surely know, different voices yes, but one that will directly look to change the purpose seems a bit out of line.

I see this as going the same route as the CA commission, when Dan Richards was ousted.

Here is CPW's mission statement:

Colorado Parks and Wildlife's mission is to perpetuate the wildlife resources of the state, to provide a quality state parks system, and to provide enjoyable and sustainable outdoor recreation opportunities that educate and inspire current and future generations to serve as active stewards of Colorado's natural resources.

Polis will certainly make a mark on the commission, but luckily, there are statutory requirements for the nominations, and they have to pass Senate confirmation.

Elections have consequences. Just as the DOI is abandoning it's pretenses of wildlife conservation being important on public lands in favor of mineral extraction, the State of Colorado seems to be moving in a more protectionist mode. Perhaps that's balance in the overall equation.

Absolutely. I while I disagree with the positions he took with regard to bears and wolves, I'm sure we would be allies on protecting elk range, wetlands, etc.

I hope that he sees his position as a chance to build ties between hunters and anglers and non-consumptive groups and doesn't take an antagonist roll on the commission.

I would hope that as well, and I'd be the first in line if I were a CO resident to hold him accountable if he goes down the wrong path.

tenor.gif

Attachments

• 1594224985797.png
    1594224985797.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 1
Here is CPW's mission statement:

Polis will certainly make a mark on the commission, but luckily, there are statutory requirements for the nominations, and they have to pass Senate confirmation.

Elections have consequences. Just as the DOI is abandoning it's pretenses of wildlife conservation being important on public lands in favor of mineral extraction, the State of Colorado seems to be moving in a more protectionist mode. Perhaps that's balance in the overall equation.
Next time I see Prenzlow I'll see if he'll comment off the record, as he did prior to his appointment to Director.

Serious question: Do the voices of people who think differently than us deserve to have a seat at the table when it comes to wildlife management?

yeah, almost unfortunately, but yeah

i mean, until the laws change the wildlife are the property of the people of colorado, obviously, we all know that

the commission is supposed to represent that to some degree, and while i appreciate that state wildlife commissions are tilted in favor of hutners across the nation *generally* non hunters do deserve a voice

i know you know these things too ben

i think the only thing we can do to save our interests is build our base and act responsibly. i've met lots of hunters who, when they talk about hunting, hunting issues, wildlife issues, and public land issues, and present these things in their words, don't make me want to be in favor of hunting or hunters either - we need to change that. but frankly we also need to fight fire with fire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back