PEAX Equipment

Preparation

You guys think you carry alot of shit into the woods. This is Doc getting into his tree stand for an afternoon whitetail hunt. His car is less than 300 yards away.

320588_312321848781588_100000113250205_1487679_1299010700_n.jpg

It's not alot of stuff until you have to lash it to the roof.

Attachments

• leaving NS.jpg
    leaving NS.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 235
My conversation with Doc. "what the hell you carrying in that" him " I have my video camera, sandwiches, thermos coffee, rain gear, extra sox, heavy coat, extra boots." Me, "Doc, extra boots, sandwich, thermos, its 3pm we are hunting to dark, and you can see your f'n car from the stand." him, "I don't want to get stuck needing something."

Guilty as charged, cargo trailer and all. Someday when I am fired from this current TV operation, I will be able to fit what I need in a Yugo.

Using your checklist on the trip, put a check mark beside each item every time you use it, or if used at all, and then see how much of that could be eliminated. It might vary from year to year or species to species or locale to locale, but odds are you could eliminate 40% of it and get along just as well.

You should see the crap I hauled to WY last year for antelope, and could have gotten by with my folding Case pocket knife and a roll of paper towels.
Tarheel, " now thats funny right there"

I am guilty on taking too much gear as well. Have the "never know when you might need it" mentality. My bro just bought a bigger pack to hunt whitetails less than 400 yards from truck. Not sure why he didn't take out the 5 grunt tubes and 3 rattle bags he carries around!

I do enjoy preparing for the hunt, even the short trips to chase deer around home.

Guilty as well, I remeber my first few years hunting when my pack was a small "fanny" pack. About the only things I really remember carrying were a knife, some extra shells, one, maybe two small cans of apple juice, license and tags. Today I'm not even completely sure how many hunting packs I own.

I am just as guilty. Once in a while it hits me that me and Two other guys used to fit in the front seat of my 1985 Nissan regular cab with guns and fanny packs behind the seat! Now I have a crew cab truck and driving to where I hunt damn near the whole back seat is full and it's only me! I agree, sme of the stuff we carry anymore is probably just fluff.

Back