Caribou Gear Tarp

Preferred Rifle Carry System

So would you go with a more traditional pack mount system? Or has the ability to get the rifle into position without removing your pack been helpful? Thanks for the feedback on the two systems.
It's easily worth it to me personally, but it really depends on how you hunt. I am often in ground covering mode and hunting mode at the same time. I move camp pretty frequently. If those were not the case I might not be so keen on it. Just strapping it to the pack is always an option. You don't need a pack mount system to do that, just two available straps.

I use this setup on my packs waist belt and it’s been super solid. Use my sternum strap around my sling then buckled to keep the top stable but will make a better loop strap now seeing some above posts.

This is interesting I’ll take a look when I’m not on mobile. Thank you.

I should add that both the Kifaru and SG have failed, sort of. The Kifaru upper has been torn off and come unsewed many times as I mentioned. The only time the SG strap "failed" was after jogging/aggressively-waddling downhill for about 5 miles with 115# on a backpack hunt where I was trying to make sure I got to my car before a wildfire did. Normally I would've stopped to check the load but I was in too big of a hurry, not really the strap's fault.
I've not had the upper fail yet, but have busted the lower (old style; they repaired it wrong and this last time I just bought a new univiersal) 2X. Plan on keeping some P cord in the pack now to strap the rifle to the pack now incase of another failure. One was on a packout and trying to pack an elk head and the rifle over the shoulder made me grouchy.

I have a MR metcalf and mule. I tried to use the MR sling system for a few years and was not ever happy with it. I got a kifaru gun bearer this year and am thrilled. Easy set up and use, easy to take off and it holds all types of firearms. My only complaint is that the muzzle direction can be scary when walking up hill if someone is in front of you. But if you are aware(as you should be) it is easy to adjust.

I have a rig with a "pouch" that velcros to the waist strap of my pack, the butt of the rifle fits in the pouch, and another strap on is the shoulder straps that buckles around the foerend and holds the rifle under my right arm. I don't even know who makes it or remember where I got it, but I've used it for years. I might have pulled it out of a clearance bin somewhere. The only other person I've seen use something like it is Randy Newberg on his show. It's a very comfortable way to carry a rifle while wearing a frame pack.

I got curious after I posted. Went downstairs and looked to see if I could find a brand name or logo. The label says "HideAway weapon carry accessory". Ever hear of that? Kind of funny I've used it so much and never really thought about who made it.IMG_20200415_185507901.jpg

I got curious after I posted. Went downstairs and looked to see if I could find a brand name or logo. The label says "HideAway weapon carry accessory". Ever hear of that? Kind of funny I've used it so much and never really thought about who made it.View attachment 136434
Ok thanks a bunch. I haven’t heard of that but I’ll do some research for sure.

Im another Kifaru user. I use it on my MR Sawtooth 45. I got it last year so I dont have a lot of expereience with it. I needed a way to carry my rifle hands free so i could use my treking poles. A sling didnt work for me and having my rifle strapped to my pack was ok but not very handy.

I also use the kifaru gun bearer on a mystery ranch metcalf. Works much better than the built in pocket on the side of the pack. You have to all but take your pack off if you use the side pouch but the gun bearer lets you have quicker access to your rifle when you need it.

Back